Willis needs to play more | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Willis needs to play more

he will play plenty it his pass blocking allows. our coaches are scheming our talent vs opposition and he's part of a stacked running back room.
Pass blocking is one of the biggest reasons true frosh don’t get reps, and often ignored by the casual fan.

Not to say that Willis, a strong young man, can’t do it.

But watching LQA on Saturday was impressive.

He doesn’t always win those battles, but he throws himself into them with ferocity.

Until otherwise shown Nixon is a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield and Willis as of now is unknown
Maybe that is the difference. Don't know. Haven't seen Willis receive a pass attempt. We'll see. Hope they work to get him 3-5 snaps in every game.

he also got some big reps in the ohio game in fourth quarter. think they want to use him when defenses are worn down. we just didnt get the opportunity against Ga. Tech. He will get his carries.

There were a lot of two back looks for nixon and allen, which I assumed had a lot more to do with pass protection.

I think that with his size, the only thing that may be holding Willis back from more carries right now is his blocking. He runs like a freight train. I hope he becomes the short yardage back, as he gets integrated into the offense.

Pass blocking is one of the biggest reasons true frosh don’t get reps, and often ignored by the casual fan.

Not to say that Willis, a strong young man, can’t do it.

But watching LQA on Saturday was impressive.

He doesn’t always win those battles, but he throws himself into them with ferocity.

Yes, and again not saying Willis can't but, why risk over Allen or Nixon who have many hundred more practoce reps and have both shown to also be good runners and pass catching options? Whatever is most likely to keep McCord healthy is what we should do.

Willis and James will eventually play. The object is to win games this year to set us up for the future.
When they have all the facets of the position down they will play.
But they and all the other players want to win.

We have lots of good freshmen. Jamie Tremble is our highest-rated recruit one and I don't want to see Oronde spelled to get him more reps... I want those guys to be ready iff needed.

Very nice to have running back options. They'll all get reps as the season wears on.

Very good post.

Need to make sure he is happy.

I am sure the coaches or on top of it but it is very important.

I have a feeling we will see Willis more.

Geez.

Gary Coleman Talkin GIF

Agreed. Zero opportunities stands out.

Against Ohio
  • Nixon was 3 for 9 yards
  • Willis was 4 for 11 yards - 2 carries of which were goal line attempts
  • Allen was 15 for 98
Against GT
  • Nixon got 9 opportunities for 38 yards
  • Willis got 0
  • Allen got the same 15 for 83 yards
Weird that Nixon got 300% more rushing opportunities after gaining only 2 more yards than Willis

But Nixon was a huge reason we won, so an interesting problem to have.
May not be weird depending on the game plan, how well they blocked against Ohio, and how they practiced during the week.

Ugh, this was a must win peer opponent. They tightened up the rotations. They went with vets for the most part.

No Willis on offense, no Gill, no Ross, no Heard. Barnes was the only freshman to play on defense.

Ugh, this was a must win peer opponent. They tightened up the rotations. They went with vets for the most part.

No Willis on offense, no Gill, no Ross, no Heard. Barnes was the only freshman to play on defense.

Gill not playing did surprise me a bit, not one snap I believe.

Im shocked no Gill. He really can be a player. Needs reps cause next year we lose OG, Meeks, and Pena.

Watson started on D. Looked pretty good doing it, too.

They might be worried about ball security with him? Other than that it would be his pass blocking, knowledge of the offense and pass catching. Long term i believe he has the most talent of our backs including LA

They might be worried about ball security with him? Other than that it would be his pass blocking, knowledge of the offense and pass catching. Long term i believe he has the most talent of our backs including LA
That makes sense

Depending on how the season shakes out, I wonder if Gill, Willis and Justus Ross Simmons end up red shirting. Also pena, is only a junior and has another year left.

I doubt ross simmons wants to come here and RS unless he is out 3-4 more weeks.
Gill maybe would see some value in it.
Willis are we sure he didn't play on kickoffs again?
Hopefully Pena comes back

Two games into the Fran Brown era with a big win and all people in this thread can write about is why who did or didn't play.....need to worry about Stanford our next opponent....plenty of time to get playing time for our freshmen...jmo

Two games into the Fran Brown era with a big win and all people in this thread can write about is why who did or didn't play...need to worry about Stanford our next opponent...plenty of time to get playing time for our freshmen...jmo
Its literally the subject matter of the thread. You're complaining the posts are on topic?

I doubt ross simmons wants to come here and RS unless he is out 3-4 more weeks.
Gill maybe would see some value in it.
Willis are we sure he didn't play on kickoffs again?
Hopefully Pena comes back
He was on specials, people need to relax, game 2 peer, play the vets, tighten the rotation

They will be able to get guys snaps the next two games

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom