Ryan Nassib's Place among all time Cuse QB's ? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ryan Nassib's Place among all time Cuse QB's ?

Different systems, different supporting casts, different competition.

I think 4th is fair, definitely not any lower.

I am bumping this because Nassib's career is officially over at SU.

That being said, I'd have him at #2 behind McNabb.

Thoughts?
you think ryan ranks ahead of Donnie Mac? He led the nation in passing and led his team to an unbeaten season. Not even close. By the way guys, Bill Hurley should at least be mentioned.

an argument can be made for anything between 2-4. but i would lean to 4.

Mason played one season - a season we didn't even go bowling. I could see it if he passed for 4000 yards or was a Heisman contender...maybe. Same with Philcox. If Nassib has a big season, wins another bowl game, I don't see how you could put either of those 1 year guys ahead of a 3 year starter with better stats and 2 bowl wins.

Post 1980 it's McPherson, McNabb, Graves, Nassib and it's not even arguable except for the order of the first 2. I prefer this order but I can see the argument of McNabb for #1. The first 3 are in their own tier and then Nassib is the best of the rest.

Agree with all of this except I would put McNabb at #1.Would have been interesting to see Philcox get 3-4 years to work with though.

Wow, lots of crow to be eaten in this thread. The glass was obviously half-full and not half-empty.

you think ryan ranks ahead of Donnie Mac? He led the nation in passing and led his team to an unbeaten season. Not even close. By the way guys, Bill Hurley should at least be mentioned.

DM was also surrounded by way better players. I would argue that Ryan is #2 or in a tie with DMac. And this is in no way saying that Donnie Mac was not good. I just think that Ryan was very good. We saw what he could do this year with some talent around him.

right kid right system right year-no more no less

hurley 4.

nassib 5.

This thread makes me appreciate baseball, where stats tell a large part of the story - even somewhat between the different eras of the game. Football stats aren't very telling. Otherwise, Jim Brown would be just another good running back on the level of Emmit Smith, et al.

If Ryan Nassib comes out and throws 26-28 TD passes and keeps his interceptions around 9-10 like last year an throws for about 3200 yards or so, where would you rank him on the alltime list? I beleive if he throws 28 TD's he will have 70 career TD passes if he throws for 3200 yards he will have over 7000 yard for a career. I think they make a bowl this year and if that is the case he will have led the team to two bowls in his three years a starter after the dismal 4-5 years before him.

I think if he has the kind of year I described above I think he is only below Mcpherson who is 1, Mcnabb who I think is 2 and Marvin Graves who i think is 3.

what do you think?

I agree with you: (1) McPherson; (2) McNabb; (3) Graves and (4) Nassib.

If Ryan Nassib comes out and throws 26-28 TD passes and keeps his interceptions around 9-10 like last year an throws for about 3200 yards or so, where would you rank him on the alltime list? I beleive if he throws 28 TD's he will have 70 career TD passes if he throws for 3200 yards he will have over 7000 yard for a career. I think they make a bowl this year and if that is the case he will have led the team to two bowls in his three years a starter after the dismal 4-5 years before him.

I think if he has the kind of year I described above I think he is only below Mcpherson who is 1, Mcnabb who I think is 2 and Marvin Graves who i think is 3.

what do you think?
For the record, Nassib ended up 2012 with 3749 yards, 26TDs and 10 interceptions. You were close with your estimates.

It is hard to do this. Eras change, rules change, tactics change, some players start for 4 years, some start for 1, the talent surrounding the players can be dramatically different, some players get injured and lose a lot of potential playing time.

That being said, of the QBs mentioned, the two that really did not have a lot of talent surrounding them were Hurley and Nassib.

I think Coughlin put in a flavor of the Veer offense based on Hurley's talents, since there was little else to build around. Monk was there most of the time Bill was, and Joe was there for his senior season, and he had one good OL in Craig Wolfley, but there were a lot of bad players he was stuck with. He didn't have pass protection, and he essentially lost his junior season when FSU players held him up and broke his ribs on opening day in 1978. Hurley's passing numbers are unimpressive by today's standards, he did not complete a good percentage of his passes, and his TD to interception ratio is not good.

He finished his SU record with the following passing numbers:

228-464 for 3398 yards, with 19 TDs and 16 interceptions. His completion percentage was 49.1%.

He was a fine option QB though.

685 attempts for 2551 yards, 19 TDs (4.72 ypc) which includes sack yardage.

To me, Nassib is probably our best QB. He didn't have a decent OL until he was a senior. He didn't have 2 decent WRs to throw to until he was a senior. He never had a legitimate deep threat to throw to, never had a big prototype TE to throw to and the offense was not very progressive until his senior season.

He had issues. Threw some bad interceptions, fumbled the ball on sacks too much, could not run the ball very well and didn't throw the ball long consistently well until his senior season.

But he overcome a lot, led SU to two bowl victories, a co league championship and he was, in my mind anyway, without question, the best QB under pressure I have ever seen at SU. I am not sure how many come from behind victories he engineered during his time here, but it was a big number. 7 or 8 maybe?

The Big 4 (Nassib, McNabb, Graves and McPherson) are all close. Could make a good argument for all of them. Philcox gets dinged for only playing one year and for playing on a loaded team. Hurley just didn't throw it well enough to crack my top 4 either. He was the best option QB I have seen at Syracuse though.

Thanks, Tomcat. I agree, Hurley and Nassib are about as different as night and day, but both were the glue for their teams. In fact, Hurley was virtually a one-man team. When he got mugged by Florida State I turned to my then-girlfriend, now wife and said "This is going to be a long year." I think Tim Wilson replaced him and it was, indeed a long, fruitless year of football at crumbling old Archbold.

My rank: Donnie McPherson, McNabb, Nassib

Just curious but why are people putting Nassib behind Graves?

McPherson 53.4% 5,812 yards 46 TDs 25 INTs. 1,251 yards rushing 4 year starter
McNabb 58.1 % 8,581 yards 78 TDs 27 INTs. 1,633 yards rushing 4 year starter
Nassib 60.3% 9,190 yards 70 TDs 28 INTs 168 yards rushing 4 year starter
Graves 59.7% 8,466 yards 48 TDs 45 INTs. 289 yards rushing 4 year starter

McPherson was 2nd in Heisman Voting in 1987, won the Davey O'Brien and Maxwell awards, 22 player of the year awards, obviously the undefeated team

McNabb was 5th in Heisman voting in 1998, all 4 years All-Big East first team QB, 3 time Big East offensive player of the year

Nassib has better numbers than McPherson, but obviously the numbers aren't comparable -- different eras, offenses, etc. The accolades nationally tell you that. McNabb's numbers are a touch better than Nassibs overall despite Nassib throwing for more yards and higher completion %, those rushing yards set McNabb apart.

But Graves? He had 3 more TDs than INTs for his career, threw for less yards and a lower completion %. No national accolades although he did make the SU All-Century team and he did win 3 bowl games.

Nassib will always suffer from the results of the team while he was running it. He was unlucky enough to guide the team while it was down. If SU had won more while he was here, I think most would put him at least at #2.