S I names Carrier Dome 7th toughest college arena for visiting basketball teams | Syracusefan.com

S I names Carrier Dome 7th toughest college arena for visiting basketball teams

Fair list. Surprised that ISU was listed before Oklahoma State’s Gallagher Arena. OSU wasn’t even in the Honorable Mention. Now, I have never been to Ames but I have been to Stillwater and that atmosphere is insane there! Plus, all the commentators routinely talk about OSU/Gallagher Arena as one of the toughest venues. 79419061-6AD3-463F-BD39-056FBC696601.png

Last edited:
Fair list. Shocked that ISU was listed before Oklahoma State’s Gallagher Arena. OSU wasn’t even in the Honorable Mention. Now, I have never been to Ames but I have been to Stillwater and that atmosphere is insane there! Plus, all the commentators routinely talk about OSU/Gallagher Arena as one of the toughest venues. View attachment 139694

The acoustics in Hilton are legit. And Iowa has serious College Sports fans. Its a pretty sweet venue. Hilton Magic. Been some big games there as well.

Gotta think we only climb higher with everything new soon. I for one am feeling extremely positive about the future of Syracuse Athletics. Can't wait for the Light Shows before games, and the new center scoreboard!

I have only had experience with two of these venues- The Dome- which is a truly unique experience, especially for a big game. The disadvantage is 15,000-20,000 feels empty and no matter what students/fans are pretty far from the court with the exception of the three rows of court side seats which come with rules regarding standing etc so not an intimidating effect. Cameron Indoor is tough environment. Students are on top of the court so they really rock the house. The Crazies reallly do research and plan chants etc. I was surprised, however, that the “upper “ sections above students aren’t nearly as loud as what’s you’d think given what you see on TV.

Couple venues on that list are on our bucket list. Be interesting to see for myself how they rate compared to the many venues we have been to.

The Dome would be better if the students actually got involved and came up with new chants. Sounds like a morgue at times.

They used to have some of the best seats. But hardly showing up looked like crap on TV and with the seats being in prime real estate to sell to donors, they got moved. They did it to themselves.

Well, i hope your ancestors are sin free othersize you are undeserving

Well, i hope your ancestors are sin free othersize you are undeserving

That makes a lot of sense. You can’t just undo it by snapping your fingers.

That makes a lot of sense. You can’t just undo it by snapping your fingers.

No i was with you until you said they did it to themselves. I understand you cant uproot season ticket holders.

This article is a little insulting. It says that the Dome is one of the surprising entries to this list.

But yes, as Halfmooncuse said upstream, Manley was far more a home advantage, as were many of those old band boxes that have been abandoned. The Palestra in Philly was hell for visitors. At my DIII school, the stands were so close to the court, that when opposing players were throwing in a ball, students would pick hairs off of their legs.

At the Y where I played as a teenager we would push opposing players toward a section of the court where there had been water damage and the ball wouldn't bounce. We'd just pick the ball off the floor and head up court. Also, with the low ceiling, it helped if you could develop a jump shot that never went arced over 14 feet.

I've never thought that the Dome is as big a home court advantage as you would expect given the size of the crowds and the quality of our teams over the years.

Our all time record in front of crowds of 30K+ is only 54-28. In the 15 games that have set or surpassed the attendance record over the years, our record is just 8-7. You can rationalize that a lot of ways e.g. those games are only against the the most difficult opponents, but it doesn't necessarily say superior home court advantage to me. I think our overall Dome record is around 500-110. Doesn't seem like an overwhelming home court advantage, certainly not like the long undefeated strings put together in Manley or other places.

I have to agree with Pfister. The dome at the 30,000 fan level can be noisy but can also be very quiet. I've been away from Syracuse for quite a while but the only time I remember the Dome so loud that you could feel sound waves was the Georgetown game that Big John got thrown out.

I'm familiar with Midwest arenas and that sound wave effect is not unusual with crowds of 20,000. Part of that is how fervent basketball fans are in that part of the country. Secondly, the basketball arenas are almost all bowl shaped or at least have seating all the way around the floor with the fans closer to the court. That produces a lot of sound directed down to the floor. And a level of sound that is high the whole game.

I don't know if all the arenas rated above the Dome are that shape but I can tell you for certain that Kansas' Allen Fieldhouse is one of them and earns it's reputation as a tough place to play. Both from a standpoint of shape and as importantly the fans whole hearted investment in the game.

They used to have some of the best seats. But hardly showing up looked like crap on TV and with the seats being in prime real estate to sell to donors, they got moved. They did it to themselves.

"they" was 15+ years ago?

a. how does a dome make a list clearly for arenas?
b. the dome is opposite for bball/football. a great intimidating factor in football because noise stays in and everyone on top of you. 38k sounds in dome sounds louder than 55k in stadium. in basketball, noise stays in everywhere except dome it escapes to other side. gets the feeling of being empty even when its 25k and most attended game in country (outside of other Cuse games, of course)

"they" was 15+ years ago?

Longer. I’ve had season tickets in Section 124 (where they used to put students) for twenty years. They were behind the basket for some time before that.

a. how does a dome make a list clearly for arenas?
b. the dome is opposite for bball/football. a great intimidating factor in football because noise stays in and everyone on top of you. 38k sounds in dome sounds louder than 55k in stadium. in basketball, noise stays in everywhere except dome it escapes to other side. gets the feeling of being empty even when its 25k and most attended game in country (outside of other Cuse games, of course)

Why would a dome not qualify as an arena?

a·re·na

əˈrēnə/
noun
a level area surrounded by seats for spectators, in which sports, entertainments, and other public events are held.
"