Sabathia - he done | Syracusefan.com

Sabathia - he done

Can they void the remainder of the contract?

They may have told him he wasn't gonna make the PS roster, and this, in a weird way, allowed him to save face.

They may have told him he wasn't gonna make the PS roster, and this, in a weird way, allowed him to save face.

Why wouldn't he have made the roster? He has a 2.86 ERA in his last 9 starts and has been one of, if not their best starter in September

Last edited:
Have to give the guy credit, what he did is not the easy thing to do.
I agree its not easy but it does put the question about next year on the table.After leaving rehab will he want to continue the self inflicted pressure of staying in baseball? I think that a salary retirement package could be arrange to CC's satisfaction. Freeing up part of his salary could do wonders for the FA inquires the Yanks will no doubt be interested in.

I agree its not easy but it does put the question about next year on the table.After leaving rehab will he want to continue the self inflicted pressure of staying in baseball? I think that a salary retirement package could be arrange to CC's satisfaction. Freeing up part of his salary could do wonders for the FA inquires the Yanks will no doubt be interested in.

I don't think he has any pressure on him, everyone pretty much thinks hes done. Maybe if he gets his life in order, he could be a decent 3rd or 4th starter.

Could those with a familiarity with alcoholism, (because they've suffered from it, or know people who have or have been involved with treatment), tell us why it would be necessary for CC to enter rehab right now instead of after the playoffs? I'm not claiming he should have but wondering why it had to be done at such a critical time. It's not like he needs emergency surgery- or is it? I would think walking away from your responsiblities would not be a good start to a rehab.

Can they void the remainder of the contract?
Doubt it very much......It's considered a disability today and he entered rehab which I believe it legally protects him here in N.Y.

Could those with a familiarity with alcoholism, (because they've suffered from it, or know people who have or have been involved with treatment), tell us why it would be necessary for CC to enter rehab right now instead of after the playoffs? I'm not claiming he should have but wondering why it had to be done at such a critical time. It's not like he needs emergency surgery- or is it? I would think walking away from your responsiblities would not be a good start to a rehab.
Quite simply, with something that potentially impacts your future and that of your family, there is no time like the present. He is doing the right thing.

Last edited:

I keep wondering if there was an incident that occurred that we know nothing about - wife caught him in bed with an antelope - crashed the family car with one of his kids in the back. That makes more sense to me than any other option at this point.

What are the "OUT" conditions in a MLB contract?

2017 salary is guaranteed if Sabathia:
1) does not end 2016 on the disabled list with a left shoulder injury,
2) does not spend more than 45 days in 2016 on the disabled list with a left shoulder injury or
3) does not make more than six relief appearances in 2016 because of a left shoulder injury

I just had a good conversation with Jim Lerch on Bud and the Manchild. He knew two alcoholics who went through this. His big point is that the courage to admit that you have a problem and that now is the time to do something about it is not always going to be there. if he waited a week or two until the Yankees are out of the playoffs, he might be in a different place emotionally and might not be able to take that step.

Ironically, CC has been doing his best pitching of the season of late, (2.27 ERA since the beginning of September) so it's not like he was unable to perform. he jsut had to do this now or it might have been too late, according to Jim. I suggested Jim might want to bring an alcohol rehab expert onto the show to educate us more on the subject and he's going to look into it.

I just had a good conversation with Jim Lerch on Bud and the Manchild. He knew two alcoholics who went through this. His big point is that the courage to admit that you have a problem and that now is the time to do something about it is not always going to be there. if he waited a week or two until the Yankees are out of the playoffs, he might be in a different place emotionally and might not be able to take that step.

Ironically, CC has been doing his best pitching of the season of late, (2.27 ERA since the beginning of September) so it's not like he was unable to perform. he jsut had to do this now or it might have been too late, according to Jim. I suggested Jim might want to bring an alcohol rehab expert onto the show to educate us more on the subject and he's going to look into it.

Based on my experience with my cousin, I totally agree with Jim. It often takes so long to admit you have a problem, when you do finally reach that point, you need to take advantage of it regardless if it may be bad timing for your job or other things in your life.

Yeah, since the current movement is to treat addiction as a disease (I don't completely buy into it, but I understand the reasoning), it makes sense to treat it immediately. One wouldn't want somebody with cancer to wait.

Not to worry C. C. You wouldn't have gotten a run to work with anyway. :(

disheartening to watch the past couple of months, it's the same old same old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom