Sad basketball news ... | Syracusefan.com

Sad basketball news ...

cto

Administrator
Kelly Lavalle Seubert, one of the kindest, sweetest, most competent people I’ve ever known, died yesterday, way too young, after a valiant fight against cancer.

I don’t know what Kelly’s official title was. But, in the Syracuse Basketball office, she was Coach Jim Boeheim’s executive assistant, office manager, gate-keeper, confidante, close friend to staff members and players, and virtually a member of the Boeheim family. She was also the person who had to say “no” (always nicely) to countless pushy people -- who had no connection to the program -- but who thought they were entitled to VIP tickets, Jim’s time or some inside information

Kelly handled every challenge (including her final one) with grace, sweetness and courage. All who knew her, loved her. I was blessed to be her friend, and I already miss her very much. Meanwhile, all my love goes out to her husband Steve, her four sons and the rest of her extended family – which includes everyone who knew her.

Last edited:
Kelly Lavalle Seubert, one of the kindest, sweetest, most competent people I’ve ever known, died yesteray way too young after a valiant fight against cancer.

I don’t know what Kelly’s official title was. But, in the Syracuse Basketball office, she was Coach Jim Boeheim’s executive assistant, office manager, gate-keeper, confidante, friend to staff members and players, and virtually a member of the Boeheim family. She was also the person who had to say “no” (always nicely) to countless people -- who had no connection to the program -- but who thought they were entitled to VIP tickets, Jim’s time or some inside information

Kelly handled every challenge (including her final one) with grace, sweetness and courage. All who knew her, loved her. I was blessed to be her friend, and I already miss her very much. Meanwhile, all my love goes out to her husband Steve, her four sons and the rest of her extended family – which includes everyone who knew her.
So sad to hear. My thoughts and prayers are with her family.

Kelly was my aunt's sister, and I was fortunate enough to meet her a couple of times.

Ever since I was a kid, my grandpa and I would come to Manley Field House once a year in hopes of meeting some of the players, coaches, etc. We would always stop up in the coaches offices and get posters and pocket schedules. We loved that kind of stuff. I remember once Kelly was there and as we were about to leave, she hands me a signed G-Mac framed poster and I was 12 at the time. That kind of stuff really made an impression on me at that age. She was always so kind when I got the chance to see her. She never once let me leave Manley without some cool memorabilia.

Sad to hear. I knew she had been battling cancer for awhile but had not heard how she was doing since the end of the season. Thoughts and prayers to her family.

I've been away with my family and stayed off the board and social media. Very sorry to hear about this. I met Kelly and her husband in Atlantis through Joyce, and she was such a nice woman. Joyce told me how important she was to the hoops program and JB, but I was struck by how nice she was the night I met her, and throughout the week whenever I saw her. Wow, this is a tough one. Cancer is vile.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I interned with SU my grandfather was dying in the hospital from kidney complications. As a huge syracuse basketball fans I wanted to see if Coach Boeheim could sign a hat for my grandfather to go inside his casket. I went up to the office and spoke with Kelly (as I would when our paths crossed) and I became a little gun-shy about asking because it dawned on me that just because I was interning for Syracuse didn't mean coach owed me anything.

Kelly shot out from behind her desk and walked me into his office (first and only time i ever interacted with coach) and she told him that he "needed" to sign a hat for me. I explained what was going on and he could not have been nicer.

Afterwards I thanked Kelly tremendously for what it meant to us and I'm not sure i encountered a kinder soul on the hill.

RIP Kelly.

Kelly Lavalle Seubert, one of the kindest, sweetest, most competent people I’ve ever known, died yesterday, way too young, after a valiant fight against cancer.

I don’t know what Kelly’s official title was. But, in the Syracuse Basketball office, she was Coach Jim Boeheim’s executive assistant, office manager, gate-keeper, confidante, close friend to staff members and players, and virtually a member of the Boeheim family. She was also the person who had to say “no” (always nicely) to countless people -- who had no connection to the program -- but who thought they were entitled to VIP tickets, Jim’s time or some inside information

That was a wonderful tribute, Joyce. I've been away with the family for the past two weeks and stumbled into this news upon my return this weekend, but I'm terribly sorry to see this news, and I wish you and Kelly's family deepest condolences and solace on this loss.

I was so sad to hear the news that Kelly was sick a few months ago. Kelly was such a special person. I was lucky enough to get to know her well the past 10 years. She could never do enough, treated all of us like family, when i would visit the office, she always greeted me with a big hug and smile. She will be greatly missed. She loved her family, SU basketball, loved all of the players, coaches and especially Jim. JB is not big on email, Kelly did it all for him. She would work 24/7 for the program, always making sure everyone was taken care of. The nicest lady ever, may she rest in peace. Big loss for Syracuse University.

I'm literally in tears reading that. Over the years I asked CTO for what I thought was a couple pretty difficult favors and a couple days later I'd receive a package in the mail from the SU basketball office. Sounds like Kelly did a lot for a lot of people. 53 years old should be the prime of her life. Very, very sad.

Kelly was the ex spouse of one of my business partners. The ones that are most affected by this are her 4 boys John, Michael, Chris and Jimmy. They are the ones who will suffer and who hurt the most from this loss.

Kelly was the ex spouse of one of my business partners. The ones that are most affected by this are her 4 boys John, Michael, Chris and Jimmy. They are the ones who will suffer and who hurt the most from this loss.

Oh man -- that sucks. I was wondering if this was her.