Sad realization | Syracusefan.com

Sad realization

MDCuse

2nd String
So, I was stuck in traffic driving home from work and listening to the game. When you are sitting and starting at taillights, the mind tends to wander. That's when it really kind of sunk in. Losing to Houston last year was probably the last time we will ever see JAB coach an NCAA tourney game. I completely understand things can change but it is very obvious that this is a bad basketball team and they won't be playing in any postseason tourney (let alone the NCAA). This team will be losing the 2 Boeheims and most likely other pieces. Assuming JAB continues to coach after this year, he will have a team full of Freshman and none of them show to be immediate impact type players. It's odd to think that last year may have been the end.

So, I was stuck in traffic driving home from work and listening to the game. When you are sitting and starting at taillights, the mind tends to wander. That's when it really kind of sunk in. Losing to Houston last year was probably the last time we will ever see JAB coach an NCAA tourney game. I completely understand things can change but it is very obvious that this is a bad basketball team and they won't be playing in any postseason tourney (let alone the NCAA). This team will be losing the 2 Boeheims and most likely other pieces. Assuming JAB continues to coach after this year, he will have a team full of Freshman and none of them show to be immediate impact type players. It's odd to think that last year may have been the end.
Basketball ain’t like football, get one star transfer and the tide could change dramatically

I try to lean positive, but realistic at the same time. Unfortunately, I've never felt the fairy tale ending was so far away. Anything can happen and I'll still be in front of the tv cheering every game, but we just don't look even close to being able to compete with the teams we'll need to.

Last edited:
I had never considered that before but anyone denying this as a possible reality is kidding themselves. It's really sad but I've lost faith in Boeheim with how he structured our current team, decisions on who to start - esp at the PG position, inability to recruit at a high level, losing important players to the portal, and crazy comments he makes to defend his actions.

Basketball ain’t like football, get one star transfer and the tide could change dramatically
But do you see that as realistic? Let's be honest, there are very few major impact transfers each year. Are they going to select Cuse at this point? I can't imagine many would be. This year we got the coach's son, and two guys we lost out on when we originally recruited and they weren't impact guys at the schools they selected. None of the 3 are impact guys. Not even close.

I try to lean positive, but realisitic at the same time. Unfortunately I've never felt the fairy tale ending was so far away. Anything can happen and I'll still be in front of the tv cheering every game, but we just don't look even close enough to compete with the teams we'll need to.
Yup. The Fairy Tale ending seems to be a quickly fading.

I had never considered that before but anyone denying this as a possible reality is kidding themselves. It's really sad but I've lost faith in Boeheim with how he structured our current team, decisions on who to start - esp at the PG position, inability to recruit at a high level, losing important players to the portal, and crazy comments he makes to defend his actions.
I think the PG issue started when Ennis left early, and Jim has been unable to fix it.

I think the PG issue started when Ennis left early, and Jim has been unable to fix it.
Brought in two highly regarded 4 * PG recruits who couldn't cut it. Those are just misses, other programs would have jumped at them also. Obviously the one from last year is the one that stings, because he finally did have a chance to fix it and couldn't keep him around.

I thought about that for 2018 and 2019 too.

This team will get better over the season but I can't see them sniffing the top 25

Brought in two highly regarded 4 * PG recruits who couldn't cut it. Those are just misses, other programs would have jumped at them also. Obviously the one from last year is the one that stings, because he finally did have a chance to fix it and couldn't keep him around.
Yes, recruiting misses, lack of development, whatever it may be. It falls on the HC and he has been unable to fix it.

But do you see that as realistic? Let's be honest, there are very few major impact transfers each year. Are they going to select Cuse at this point? I can't imagine many would be. This year we got the coach's son, and two guys we lost out on when we originally recruited and they weren't impact guys at the schools they selected. None of the 3 are impact guys. Not even close.
And turned down at least two other players if the coach can be believed

I thought about that for 2018 and 2019 too.

This team will get better over the season but I can't see them sniffing the top 25
Why do you think this team will get better? There are so many glaring holes on this team. Will the "vaunted zone" get a bit better? Probably. But this is the most unathletic group I can recall them having. That doesn't magically change. They are so damn slow. It's painful to watch.

Why do you think this team will get better? There are so many glaring holes on this team. Will the "vaunted zone" get a bit better? Probably. But this is the most unathletic group I can recall them having. That doesn't magically change. They are so damn slow. It's painful to watch.

I do think the zone will get better and I think Benny/Jesse/Anselem will develop. But you're right, some things like lack of athleticism/strong ball handling are unfixable and it's on JB

Last edited:
*FSU dunks in transition to go up 23, JB calls TO*

Doris Burke: Sean, I was speaking to Jimmy Boeheim before the game and you won’t believe what he did with his mashed potatos at dinner time growing up.

But, but if we can somehow, someway sneak ourselves into the Dance, and, win a whopping 2 games there, everything is good again in regards to SU hoops. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But, but if we can somehow, someway sneak ourselves into the Dance, and, win a whopping 2 games there, everything is good again in regards to SU hoops. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You forgot about the “will we/won’t we” drama as we hang on for dear life to continue “the streak” but yeah, pretty much!

JB can still coach, but for some reason he’s not bringing in any impact players. Every high level recruit that we’re currently recruiting will not be coming to SU. It’s fantasy land for this coaching staff.

Its all you said..but it’s also that WE PLAY ZONE 100 percent of the game and this is the team he put together.

there where multiple times in the the last 3 games where there was a trap that would normally be an easy steal or an alley oop right over Jimmy’s head that would have been swatted away by a player with more athleticism. These guys are just not built for this defense, yet this is what we play...so now suddenly every team has their best shooting night against us and we can be amazed with the “you can’t beat a team when they get that hot, amirite?“ posts.

you have to hope Bennie gets better and plays Jimmy’s minutes

you have to hope someone emerges at point guard...somehow...i don’t know how this happens.

the chances either of these things happen is very low. But those are our chances for turning it around

you have to hope Bennie gets better and plays Jimmy’s minutes

you have to hope someone emerges at point guard...somehow...i don’t know how this happens.

the chances either of these things happen is very low. But those are our chances for turning it around
I don't disagree that either of those would be a huge help, but we have a huge sample size of what Symir and Joe are. Symir at Marquette and Joe here have shown who they are. Neither are a PG. Benny certainly has the raw ability, but he is so far away from reaching his potential. I think he will at some point, but not this year, IMO.

I don't disagree that either of those would be a huge help, but we have a huge sample size of what Symir and Joe are. Symir at Marquette and Joe here have shown who they are. Neither are a PG. Benny certainly has the raw ability, but he is so far away from reaching his potential. I think he will at some point, but not this year, IMO.
I dont believe that either are the answer at PG either. Jb did.

my point was more that only way we win games consistently is one of them steps up

Buddy is a wonderful player - but pair him with Girard and the combination is just pretty average - and in the ACC the combination is going to finish in the bottom 3rd every year - and Girard will be back next year

Every year… We have had that combination for two years already it hasn’t finished bottom 3rd yet, so what other analysis do you have for us?

Any coach in the ACC who doesn't spend most of the game pressing us should be fired after the game.

It’s not as easy as just saying it. Not every team is a good pressing team for various reasons. And like Pearl said yesterday they can do it a lot because he plays 11. If you want any of your stars playing 35 mins and you ask them to press the whole time, most will be dead pretty quickly.

Any coach in the ACC who doesn't spend most of the game pressing us should be fired after the game.
If that dumbbell Bobby Hurley pressed us in 1st half we probably lose to ASU and go 0 for Atlantis

It’s not as easy as just saying it. Not every team is a good pressing team for various reasons. And like Pearl said yesterday they can do it a lot because he plays 11. If you want any of your stars playing 35 mins and you ask them to press the whole time, most will be dead pretty quickly.
Agreed, which is why we will see a lot of token pressure, which for our team, can still be problematic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom