Sad realization | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sad realization

It would, indeed, be sad for JB (all the Boeheims) if he goes out on the sourest note of his career. No one wants that.
I COMPLETELY agree. As much as I'm frustrated with Boeheim, the last thing I want is to see him finish his hall of fame career in a poor way. However, it's looking more and more like that's what is coming with the poor recruiting, unwillingness to change his approach, crazy defense of his decisions, and awful construction of a team. I mean think about it... what indication is there that things are improving - and I don't mean this year but the last few. As a diehard Cuse fan, man, I hope I'm wrong but right now, I just see things getting worse rather than better.

There's one thing that's going largely unmentioned.
Because we're Syracuse fans we know and respect the Orange history under Boeheim of being a national power.
But those days are over.

Very few fans view Syracuse as anything but a nothing special mediocre program.
My nephew at Florida State, just for example, thinks the upcoming game is an easy win over an ACC semi-cupcake.

The Orange have made two Final Fours in the past 10 seasons.
But that's ancient history.
Whether we like it or not, SU largely is perceived as just another game on the schedule.
And that is a very sad realization.

Because we're Syracuse fans we know and respect the Orange history under Boeheim of being a national power.
But those days are over.

My nephew at Florida State, just for example, thinks the upcoming game is an easy win over an ACC semi-cupcake.

Whether we like it or not, SU largely is perceived as just another game on the schedule.
I can’t “like” this post, but sadly, I do agree.

But those days are over.

Sad reality. We will always love and respect Him for all he has done for the program. But he's running this program right into mediocrity, or worse. I'm sorry but a few 2-4 game runs in March do not show where this program truly is. Wishing and hoping to maybe finish top 6 in the conference is a sad place to be.

This is what happens when athletic directors cant make tough decisions. It is easy to blame JB, but really he should’ve been pushed out when Hop took the Washington job. That was the mistake.
Not based on Hops record to date

Luckily the ACC isn’t what it used to be.
Duke and UNC and FSU look to be the top 3. Some others like Louisville Have some nice wins. After that it is a guess as to which team is best of the rest. SU will have trouble with any team that plays tough defense and I haven’t seen enough of the other ACC teams to know who that might be. Even UVA is down this year.

The expectation should be ranked in top 25 every year and make the tournament every year (no bubble drama). We need 8-10 athletes that can shoot, play defense, run the floor, and play in position (not forced to play out of poition like JG3). There area lot of coaches that get it done so what the hell is the problem with Syracuse.

But those days are over.

Yes and largely no. I get your point that our reputation as a strong program takes a hit with year after year mediocrity. However, if next year we got back into the top 25, people would also soon forget about the recent struggles and remember us as a top program again. Just watch Cuse games on tv and the commentators set up the game talking about our tough zone defense, the length, and how you just can't practice what you see in the game. Meanwhile, we all know our zone sucks.

Think about FSU in college football. They have been mediocre (trending on poor) for several years. However, it would take just one year for that program to find their swagger and people to start seeing them as a powerhouse again. Same thing for us. People recognize Cuse as a strong program, but one that is very average right now.

Yes and largely no. I get your point that our reputation as a strong program takes a hit with year after year mediocrity. However, if next year we got back into the top 25, people would also soon forget about the recent struggles and remember us as a top program again. Just watch Cuse games on tv and the commentators set up the game talking about our tough zone defense, the length, and how you just can't practice what you see in the game. Meanwhile, we all know our zone sucks.

Think about FSU in college football. They have been mediocre (trending on poor) for several years. However, it would take just one year for that program to find their swagger and people to start seeing them as a powerhouse again. Same thing for us. People recognize Cuse as a strong program, but one that is very average right now.
Maybe so, but I'm done drinking the JB Kool-Aid and fan expectations are or should be much higher than the people in charge at this point. A guy like Rick Pitino would need 1-2 seasons to get us back in the top 25 and in the tournament.

A
But those days are over.

And the frustration is that this season people thought we could turn it around and actually be relevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom