Sad story. | Syracusefan.com

Sad story.

Maryland played at the Carrier Dome on their march to the national championship. I attended their practice session so I must have seen him.

From another story

He entered a tryout on the encouragement of Juan Dixon, a good friend and former high school rival.

“It’s hard to believe,” Badu told The Post at the 2002 Final Four in Atlanta. “Anybody who plays basketball dreams of getting to the Division I level. Then to be at the elite level, where the University of Maryland now is. And then to this.”

Badu, whose popularity frequently elicited late-game chants of his name during blowouts.

Badu was undersized, listed at 6' 0" and 160 lbs. during his playing days, but always played hard, earning the praise of former coach Gary Williams for his practice efforts.

From his Maryland Bio

Personal: Earl Nana Badu (pronounced buh-DOO) … born Feb. 22, 1979 … son of Afia and Yaw Badu … … pursuing a double-major in government and politics, and art studio … parents were both born in Ghana … his father, Yaw, moved to the United States to continue higher education … Yaw moved from New York to Baltimore, where Earl was born … has a brother who graduated from Michigan State, and a sister who is a sophomore at Penn State … majoring in graphic arts … member of the National Honor Society, Student Government Association and the principal’s advisory committee at St. Frances.

A Comment from a 247 board

I never knew or even ran across Badu. Pretty much my whole impressions were based on the warm smiles and genuine interaction with his team mates, hearing Johnny interview him once, all the positive comments his team mates and Gary always had for him, etc.

I do remember rushing to Cole during a business day to see the team welcomed and hearing Badu address the students and well wishers, and Gary couldn't get the mic from him. He was so exuberant, and there was genuine affection there. I heard he was going to professional school afterward, and his teammates seemed to defer to him as one of the brighter guys on the team (which says a lot considering some of his team mates)... and I had that impression as well. It hurts to think that the kid I thought of so fondly got himself into things so deep he felt this was his only way out.

No point in speculating much beyond this. May he rest in peace, and his friends, family and team mates find some solace in the good things they knew about him.