safety position | Syracusefan.com

safety position

kcsu

Living Legend
I agree that this was our biggest whiff this year. In looking at our current players here are a few thoughts and options. Morgan yes a little undersized but he is close to 200 pounds and based on his special team play he likes to hit. I see him moving. Kelly the Juco will be there for sure as will the kid from Rochester who can easily grow into a 205-210 type player with good height. One kid who wont move but could would be D Davis. He was a wr at Milford and can run like a deer. He would make one heck of a safety. I see this as our number one priority for next year and would expect us to bring in a juco or two at the position

Almost forgot Ben Lewis. I expect him to be moved in the spring as well

I agree that this was our biggest whiff this year. In looking at our current players here are a few thoughts and options. Morgan yes a little undersized but he is close to 200 pounds and based on his special team play he likes to hit. I see him moving. Kelly the Juco will be there for sure as will the kid from Rochester who can easily grow into a 205-210 type player with good height. One kid who wont move but could would be D Davis. He was a wr at Milford and can run like a deer. He would make one heck of a safety. I see this as our number one priority for next year and would expect us to bring in a juco or two at the position

Kelly [FS] and Eskridge make a lot of sense, although I think Eskridge fits better at FS. Mungwa would have been a natural transition to SS post-Shamarko had he stuck around. Singleton would have also solved this problem.

Would prefer to see Desir shift to backup CB given his size [or lack thereof].

I think Morgan could grow into a FS, and might play a lot there this year--even start.

Agree 100% about Scissum. He'll grow into a FS down the road. Safety needs to be a big priority in the class of 2014.

McFarland?

Kelly [FS] and Eskridge make a lot of sense, although I think Eskridge fits better at FS. Mungwa would have been a natural transition to SS post-Shamarko had he stuck around. Singleton would have also solved this problem.

Would prefer to see Desir shift to backup CB given his size [or lack thereof].

I think Morgan could grow into a FS, and might play a lot there this year--even start.

Agree 100% about Scissum. He'll grow into a FS down the road. Safety needs to be a big priority in the class of 2014.
With his reported speed and if he has the necessary cover skills, I think that Hodge would make an interesting safety prospect.

If there is any attrition on the roster, I would be out curry combing the countryside to find at least one more Safety.

McFarland makes a lot more sense to me but even moving him is harder with the whiffs with the NYC RBs. We will see soon enough.

I heard Wayne Morgan will move to SS

Even in HS many felt he would be a better college safety than CB because of weak cover skills.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Why?

I heard Wayne Morgan will move to SS
Would love to see Desir pack on some weight. I could see Morgan being better as a safety but if he is and gets switched we better be recruiting the sh!te out of some CB's as well for 2014. We are fine this year but look mighty thin after that. For the 2014 season we would have Reddish as a SR (if he comes back), Whigham as a JR, Jaston George as a JR and whatever 2014 FR we get. We'll need DB's galore in 2014

because i say so

As good a reason as any.

Broyld? Lets face it, where do guys who can't catch end up? On defense. And if he can't grasp a playbook, it's defense. With his size/speed combo, I could see him playing either safety position, potentially more so at SS. If he wants to find an NFL position, that may be it.

Broyld? Lets face it, where do guys who can't catch end up? On defense. And if he can't grasp a playbook, it's defense. With his size/speed combo, I could see him playing either safety position, potentially more so at SS. If he wants to find an NFL position, that may be it.

How many 6-4, 235lbs safeties are there in the NFL...ever? There is a reason for that.

If there is any attrition on the roster, I would be out curry combing the countryside to find at least one more Safety.
Maybe Josie Wales is available! No relation to Beckett

McFarland makes a lot more sense to me but even moving him is harder with the whiffs with the NYC RBs. We will see soon enough.

Broyld is the key, whatever they decide to do with him starts the process. Keep him at RB you can move McFarlane and prioritize a RB with the 2014 class. Move him and that could fix a position depth issue elsewhere. By the way, can he play safety?

Broyld is the key, whatever they decide to do with him starts the process. Keep him at RB you can move McFarlane and prioritize a RB with the 2014 class. Move him and that could fix a position depth issue elsewhere. By the way, can he play safety?

At running back in 2013 we have Smith and Gulley as the 1-2 punch. AAM and George Morris backing them up. Rene as the emergency 5th RB. I would bet money that they start Estime out at RB. That leaves six even without McFarlane and Broyld. And if people are worried about 2014 - running back is a position that true freshman can play. Bring in two for that class. Throw in the assumption that McDonald will use multiple tight ends in his offense and loves receivers, and I just don't see the lack of depth at running back a problem at all.

Hell, I even think they could redshirt AAM in 2013 along with moving McFarlane to safety and Broyld to TE. That would still leave four running backs (Smith, Gulley, Morris, Rene).

At running back in 2013 we have Smith and Gulley as the 1-2 punch. AAM and George Morris backing them up. Rene as the emergency 5th RB. I would bet money that they start Estime out at RB. That leaves six even without McFarlane and Broyld. And if people are worried about 2014 - running back is a position that true freshman can play. Bring in two for that class. Throw in the assumption that McDonald will use multiple tight ends in his offense and loves receivers, and I just don't see the lack of depth at running back a problem at all.

Hell, I even think they could redshirt AAM in 2013 along with moving McFarlane to safety and Broyld to TE. That would still leave four running backs (Smith, Gulley, Morris, Rene).
Good post Nirv. I think we have the most talent on O that we have had in years. Morris is going to play as i hear he is really something a combo of Smith and Gulley a true all around back who can get tough yards between the tackles and take it to the house outside. I have also heard that Mcfarland really opened eyes once he was moved to RB and with Smith and Gulley leaving after this year i think that you keep him on O. Not sure what we do with Ash but someting tells me he along with Hunt will benefit the most in having a new staff. The kid is a superstar talent wise and we have to get the ball in his hands as much as possible. Nice to have these options now if we can just find a LT...

How many 6-4, 235lbs safeties are there in the NFL...ever? There is a reason for that.
I forget he's that big. That's linebacker size.

I forget he's that big. That's linebacker size.
I can't remember his name, but I think the Broncos had a really big safety a while back. I think Steve was his first name. He was very good player if I remember correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom