Salcido Tabbed as Lacrosse Magazine All-American | Syracusefan.com

Salcido Tabbed as Lacrosse Magazine All-American

Great for him, he deserves it. He plays with such tenacity. No questioning his heart or passion for the game and his team.

I think this speaks well of the staff. Not just in identifying a raw talent in a non-traditional recruiting territory(not just for our program, but for the entire sport), but developing it as well.

Congratulations to Sergio and the coaching staff. He is poised for a big year, and the opposition will have a target on him which will create looks for others. If he develops a comfort and consistency in that role(and I think he will), it will open things up for our entire offense.

Kinda rolling down a line of thought here, so hang with me. Serge is an interesting case study in recruiting "size," for the sake of it, vs speed and pure lax skills. Between Rice, Donahue, Serge, and guys on other teams like Cavanaugh (ND), Wolfe (Duke), the small speedy players certainly merit the idea that they are equally if not harder to guard. Cuse has its share of 6'2, 210ish guys, and while they are physically imposing and are certainly needed at positions like SSDM, as well as on the X, its an interesting look at size vs position, as well as simply bringing in the most skilled, fast guys on your board. A guy like Drew Jenkins got killed as a SSDM, because he was too small most of the time. Kid had heart, but was abused. Serge worked his way up, playing on the wing, and a bit as a D-middie early on. He's obviously skilled, and has good speed and strength. Tough to guard kids like that. Kinda hope we continue to bring them in, and not be swayed too easily by the bigger "athletes," who don't possess great stick skills. Think our midfield is littered with those guys now, and we are trying to find what to do with them all. Just thinking out out loud here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom