Sam Holland "Orange Nation" 4-17-24 | Syracusefan.com

Sam Holland "Orange Nation" 4-17-24

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Sam Holland, founder and CEO of NoDestination, joins Steve Infanti and Paulie Scibilia to discuss his company and some of the Syracuse player interviews he's done so far, talk Syracuse men's basketball, share his thoughts on the NIL landscape, and more..

Sam and the team are doing an incredible job bringing the players to the community and giving us a sense of who they are and what is happening behind the scenes. The vision he lays out in the last few minutes of this interview will be a huge competitive advantage for SU if they are able to partner this with the AD and the teams. The next step for all sports looks a lot like Netflix’s Drive to Survive and there will huge benefits for the University if we embrace it first, especially with Newhouse.

The Illoa Cruz interview os what makes me think there will be more “departures” coming to the portal then we think.. just my take on it
Nobody thinks the roster is set. But that doesn’t mean a mass exodus is coming.

where in that interview did they indicate a lot of guys are leaving? A scanned through it, might have missed it.

Last edited:
Nothing specific just felt like different vibes then the other 2 interviews i watched.

Nothing specific just felt like different vibes then the other 2 interviews i watched.

But that vibe had to lead you to believe that, right? I listened to the whole thing and yes they have a different vibe, but that was their personality. They are just more outgoing, especially Cruz. Not sure how that equates to a mass exodus.

Nobody thinks the roster is set. But that doesn’t mean a mass exodus is coming.

where in that interview did they indicate a lot of guys are leaving? A scanned through it, might have missed it.

I gleaned more in that regard from the Villari interview. Extremely interesting to hear him discuss the players mindsets prior to the bowl game with at least 20 players already knowing they were looking for new homes. Would presume will be more leaving after Spring game and some already well aware.

I gleaned more in that regard from the Villari interview. Extremely interesting to hear him discuss the players mindsets prior to the bowl game with at least 20 players already knowing they were looking for new homes. Would presume will be more leaving after Spring game and some already well aware.

Well, several players have already stated in interviews that they either were close to putting their name in the portal or had the paperwork completed, but after speaking with Coach Fran, they changed their minds. I have to assume those players were part of the 20. I think we see less than 10, maybe less than 5 and certainly no starters. Heck, I would be surprised for anyone on the two-deep.

Well, several players have already stated in interviews that they either were close to putting their name in the portal or had the paperwork completed, but after speaking with Coach Fran, they changed their minds. I have to assume those players were part of the 20. I think we see less than 10, maybe less than 5 and certainly no starters. Heck, I would be surprised for anyone on the two-deep.

2 deep + kickers is only 46 scholarships. Lot of wiggle room beyond that for any players who would benefit from looking elsewhere if they desire more playing time and/or better system fits. The Coach Fran way is not for everyone and if some aren't built for it hopefully they find better fits personally and find success.

Think we've already had about 20 entire the portal in addition to those like JB, MW, etc who were likely out the door and came back for what this year will bring. JB stated specifically "it's like having transferred, I just know some of the same faces and where things are".

The bottom of the roster has been culled already. What’s left are people who want to be here. There is will be a handful who already know and stayed for one reason or another, will decide to leave based on depth chart, told they are losing their roster spot.

it won’t be a mass exodus.

The bottom of the roster has been culled already. What’s left are people who want to be here. There is will be a handful who already know and stayed for one reason or another, will decide to leave based on depth chart, told they are losing their roster spot.

I don’t think that’s fully accurate

There’s multiple players who were staying for spring to get stuff on tape to help with their transfer

That’s why the Alford thing was so controversial

Semantics really. I never said "mass exodus" but if another 10 players move on that's not insignificant either being ~12% of our total scholarship allocation.

I'm so glad we got this hire right. Can you imagine if we hadn't gotten Coach Fran? No Barron, Wax, Duce, etc staying or returning plus no Diggs, Haynes, McCord, etc incoming??

No question there will be more departures coming after Saturday, the current numbers dictate it as Fran is still bringing kids in and he has been pretty clear in his desire to continue upgrading the roster and upgrading the culture of the roster.

I don’t think that’s fully accurate

There’s multiple players who were staying for spring to get stuff on tape to help with their transfer

That’s why the Alford thing was so controversial
That’s part of the one reason or another

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom