Same Old, Same Old... | Syracusefan.com

Same Old, Same Old...

newmexicuse

All Conference
Should re-name this the moaning and groaning forum.

Yeah, for awhile many here thought we would get Ayala and Tucker - many would have bet their lives that we would land at least one of the. Now it looks like Ayala is a certain no go, and it seems uphill that we could salvage getting Tucker. The long term GT hex continues...we just can't seem to beat them out.

However, it still begs the question of why isn't there an apparent backup plan in case we don't close with these kids ? Yes, I know one prominent poster has said we will know more in a couple of days, but our entire recruiting strategy makes no sense. We show these kids the love and tell them we want them, but then leave it entirely in their hands. Doesn't the staff get it....if there was a simultaneous backup plan that would create the leverage to close on these kids if they really and truly are a strong Cuse lean.

No leverage, why shouldn't they leave us hang out to dry until the last minute ????

Yeah, for awhile many here thought we would get Ayala and Tucker - many would have bet their lives that we would land at least one of the. Now it looks like Ayala is a certain no go, and it seems uphill that we could salvage getting Tucker. The long term GT hex continues...we just can't seem to beat them out.

However, it still begs the question of why isn't there an apparent backup plan in case we don't close with these kids ? Yes, I know one prominent poster has said we will know more in a couple of days, but our entire recruiting strategy makes no sense. We show these kids the love and tell them we want them, but then leave it entirely in their hands. Doesn't the staff get it...if there was a simultaneous backup plan that would create the leverage to close on these kids if they really and truly are a strong Cuse lean.

No leverage, why shouldn't they leave us hang out to dry until the last minute ????

Because it isn't as simple as everyone wants to make it. In order to leverage one recruit against the other they have to be relatively equal. Its easy to say you need to have a simultaneous backup plan, but it only works if it is someone that you are willing to settle with and that someone is ready to commit at the time that you throw down the gautlet. Do we have three guys right now that are willing to accept our remaining scholarship offers (and that we actually want) that would lead us to want to throw an ultimatum at Tucker or Ayala?

When the options aren't relatively equal you have to wait for the better option to decide, or make the decision that you can live the lesser option and I think the simple truth is that right now we don't have a lesser option to Tucker that we are willing to live.

Doesn't the staff get it...if there was a simultaneous backup plan that would create the leverage to close on these kids if they really and truly are a strong Cuse lean.
You have to remember, we have a 72-year-old Clint Eastwood calling the shots... deciding who he likes to pursue... and telling everyone else to get off his lawn. That's the only thing that makes sense, honestly. If he rejected Mike Hopkins' recruiting preferences, he's pretty much walled off to outside forces if you ask me.

You have to remember, we have a 72-year-old Clint Eastwood calling the shots... deciding who he likes to pursue... and telling everyone else to get off his lawn. That's the only thing that makes sense, honestly. If he rejected Mike Hopkins' recruiting preferences, he's pretty much walled off to outside forces if you ask me.
So you're saying this is the back up?
5f9625174fc71bec7a52feb97f9e51b9.jpg

Because it isn't as simple as everyone wants to make it. In order to leverage one recruit against the other they have to be relatively equal. Its easy to say you need to have a simultaneous backup plan, but it only works if it is someone that you are willing to settle with and that someone is ready to commit at the time that you throw down the gautlet. Do we have three guys right now that are willing to accept our remaining scholarship offers (and that we actually want) that would lead us to want to throw an ultimatum at Tucker or Ayala?

When the options aren't relatively equal you have to wait for the better option to decide, or make the decision that you can live the lesser option and I think the simple truth is that right now we don't have a lesser option to Tucker that we are willing to live.

I absolutely agree with you conceptually, but my point is that why hasn't the staff found and been all over anybody else ??

We are not exactly chasing irreplaceable Top Ten kids in those two.

Every day on this forum somebody posts about kids you have been cut loose or asked for their release from other programs and yet there never seems to be anybody new who we are showing love to. Our recruiting has become serial - go after only one kid at a time until a decision is made. Why can't we find and recruit two similar kids at the same time ??

That is not to mention that I used to feel our staff excelled at identifying at least one under the radar type in every class. Now, it seems like they never find an under the radar type...at least not until we are turned down by all of our top targets.....and then we scramble to get the Sidibes and Brissets of this world......no dis-respect intended to either of those guys, but it was pretty apparent we only took them after being turned down by others.

It is not exactly like we don't have extra scholies to play with.

Last edited:

However, it still begs the question of why isn't there an apparent backup plan in case we don't close with these kids ? Yes, I know one prominent poster has said we will know more in a couple of days, but our entire recruiting strategy makes no sense. We show these kids the love and tell them we want them, but then leave it entirely in their hands. Doesn't the staff get it...if there was a simultaneous backup plan that would create the leverage to close on these kids if they really and truly are a strong Cuse lean.

I mean, it is only one of the most important decision they'll make in their lives. You'd think they'd want some time to sort everything out and figure out which option is best for them both in the short and long term.

I absolutely agree with you conceptually, but my point is that why hasn't the staff found and been all over anybody else ??

We are not exactly chasing irreplaceable Top Ten kids in those two.

Every day on this forum somebody posts about kids you have been cut loose or asked for their release from other programs and yet there never seems to be anybody new who we are showing love to. Our recruiting has become serial - go after only one kid at a time until a decision is made. Why can't we find and recruit two similar kids at the same time ??

That is not to mention that I used to feel our staff excelled at identifying at least one under the radar type in every class. Now, it seems like they never find an under the radar type...at least not until we are turned down by all of our top targets.

It is not exactly like we don't have extra scholies to play with.
Why isn't the staff outlining their entire plan in the DO? Why won't they put up a huge recruiting board in the Melo Center with the names of every recruit they're interested in? Why won't they send me PMs on here? WHY?

I mean, it is only one of the most important decision they'll make in their lives. You'd think they'd want some time to sort everything out and figure out which option is best for them both in the short and long term.

I have zero issue with any kid going through whatever decision making process he wants to go through. My point is that WE should also have a selection process other than putting all of our eggs into one basket at a time.

It would probably also be easier for the program if they didn't abandon kids because they move away
from the northeast corridor. If you're interested in them while they are here, one would think you'd
be interested in them if they were somewhere else, but that doesn't seem to be obvious to some.

Kev

Do we have three guys right now that are willing to accept our remaining scholarship offers (and that we actually want)?

I agree that players need to be close to "even" in potential in order to leverage/ultimatum them. Perhaps there would have been recruits to use this strategy if we had not waited until the well dried up? I think we may have held out a bit too long, and this year it bit us.

I agree that players need to be close to "even" in potential in order to leverage/ultimatum them. Perhaps there would have been recruits to use this strategy if we had not waited until the well dried up? I think we may have held out a bit too long, and this year it bit us.

I agree with this. This is a strategy we could have probably employed back when a good portion of the Top 100 was still on the board. Now that most of them are off the board it probably isn't as easy to do this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom