San Diego St Game Cancelled? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

San Diego St Game Cancelled?

With the Sports Arena already on reserve, I doubt Viejas would happen.

As I am sure JB will tell you, a game in early November isn't all that important to preparing your team for the tournament. The crap about how important these big Nov. / Dec. matchups are that the media serves up and you people buy like its on a BOGO sale is ridiculous. The Media keeps dishing the crap because they need the matchups in order to sell the game to television audiences, but going to play Louisville at the YUM Center, Pitt at Petersen, UConn in Gampel or Hartford, etc. will do more to prepare this team for March than anything that happens before Thanksgiving. The Media doesn't want you to believe that though because those matchups are guaranteed and going to be played no matter what you think.

Move the game from the Carrier to the Carrier Dome, that would at least be a nice gift to the fans, well those that didn't buy the $5,000 package.

I disagree, the Big East without question is a great place to play and does get you ready for the tournament, but we play each other so much that we know how to play each other. When you play out of conference, you see different looks, you learn new ways to attack people. When we go to Big East arenas we already know what its like. Do you honestly think that the Carrier Dome is as intimidating the second or even third time you play in it as it was the first time? Players know what to expect, and even though it may give the home team a little bit of an edge, the away team is rarely effected. When you travel to a non-conference venue, its like the first time a player is playing at the Yum, Perterson, or Gampel. Not only that, but Big East coaches know how they will try to attack us, they know where the weaknesses are, and most likely we know how over half there players play (maybe 1-2 new freshman). When your in the tournament you play teams that you have never played, played against systems you have never played against. The Non-confrence is the exact same way. For example West Virginia used to have John Belians 1-3-1 zone. That zone was absolutely deadly in the tournament, but the Big East could really exploit it. Its all about how many different looks you can see, the more you see the more you will be ready to attack them come tournament time. I cant help you if you honestly believe that Michigan State does not improve by playing these games. It gives them a chance to play different styles, and I believe the more styles you play, the better chance you have of winning.

Between this mess and American Airlines on the verge of bankruptcy (not to mention their extreme adjustable seats), I'm thinking I'm pretty smart for not having booked my flights yet.

I'm not a fan of the "outside" elements playing any part in a game. Of all the major sports basketball was designed to be played indoors Having been a Domer for many years I am convinced to this day that football is an indoors game.:p

FWIW I heard it reported on the radio that the game will be cancelled and not moved.

Looks like Syracuse's march to irrelevance is happening before it even plays a game in the ACC. First, the Oranges were left out of the awesome 16 team tournament hosted by Nike in honor of Phil Knight's 80th birthday. Now, it is being reported that the much ballyhooed game on top of an aircraft carrier between San Diego State and Syracuse is in danger of being canceled due to lack of sponsors. Read: no one cares about Syracuse basketball.

LOL

Who wrote this article? Doug Gottleib?

...it’s hard to imagine Syracuse – which rarely leaves New York during the nonconference season – traveling cross-country for what would amount to an SDSU “home” game.
I have no problem with that statement. Overall, it's probably pretty accurate.

If JB were to give SDSU a home game with no return (or two) in our favor, I would think it's crazy.

IMO, play it on the ship, or play it somewhere neutral, but don't play in an arena in SD. If they negotiated a return game (or two) out of it, I'm fine with playing in a SD arena.

People on the football board go crazy when we play USC in NYC, this would be far worse of an injustice than that.

Georgetown fans are still riding high from the monumental Belmont win and finally getting to the round of 32 last season. You'll have to excuse their madness, they're still giddy and must not be thinking straight quite yet.

They've won 2 NCAA tournament games in the last 5 years. We won two NCAA tournament games in the span of about 50 hours last season.

two thoughts:

1. Do I smell a rat? Is future partial BE member SDSU serving as a button man for the Providence mafia?
2. Move it up the road to the Honda Center in Anaheim . . . the Ducks have games on Friday and Sunday, but Saturday is open if the crew is able to do a quick turnaround. More seating capacity, more tickets to be sold could make up for the lack of sponsorship

I have no problem with that statement. Overall, it's probably pretty accurate.

If JB were to give SDSU a home game with no return (or two) in our favor, I would think it's crazy.

IMO, play it on the ship, or play it somewhere neutral, but don't play in an arena in SD. If they negotiated a return game (or two) out of it, I'm fine with playing in a SD arena.

People on the football board go crazy when we play USC in NYC, this would be far worse of an injustice than that.

I dunno, we were already going out there for a game anyway.

But you're right about it couldn't hurt to ask for a return game.

If they negotiated a return game (or two) out of it, I'm fine with playing in a SD arena.
schedule the return game for early February and make sure their bus from the airport has a disabled heater

This is a bummer. I also bought tickets and a plane flight. Glad I didn't.

There has been an erroneous story issued by a reporter in the San Diego Press...With more erroneous stories published without basis by other news outlets.

The Battle on the Midway between Syracuse and San Diego State is ON, has never been cancelled and will air LIVE on Fox Sports as scheduled on November 9th, 2012 at 8PM ET.

Casual Hoya is a little too casual with their fact checking before they spout off . . . .