Sanctions...Jaquan Newtown, Jalen Brunson and recruiting misses | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sanctions...Jaquan Newtown, Jalen Brunson and recruiting misses

He’s dead nuts on Jalen and MM. tremont was different though.

Tremont was texting players on our roster at the time that he had good relationships with basically begging them to tell our staff to offer him or reach out and he'd most likely commit. Staff said no he's too small and didn't pursue him.

There were questions about his attitude from when he was younger but plenty of people close to his situation said he matured a great deal his senior year and our players were vouching for him to the staff.

Our offense has been a mess for 5 years.
Sanctions aren’t as big a reason for the program slide as people make it out to be.
Sanctions cost walkons scholarships for the most part. JB only once in the last decade has used all 13 scholarships on scholarship quality players. He typically had 1-2 walkons/projects on the roster. Those are the players that lost scholarship.

Our recruiting for the zone defensively has hurt the offense and that is exactly the debate about Brunson. Brunson wasn’t a fit for the zone thus our HC politely didn’t pursue him. The basketball program post-JB is likely going to be less successful but that doesn’t take away from the self inflected non-sanction reasons our program has slipped.

Some will probably kill me for this take but it's tough for me to give the staff a pass on some areas for the sanctions when it's their fault we had the sanctions to begin with. They keep getting viewed as somewhat of an excuse/defense for the arguable downturn of the program instead of another piece of evidence of where the staff made poor decisions.

The sanctions were excessive relative to what other programs got hit with but the bottom line is we still had some embarassing offenses that if our staff handled better we aren't in this position.

Some will probably kill me for this take but it's tough for me to give the staff a pass on some areas for the sanctions when it's their fault we had the sanctions to begin with. They keep getting viewed as somewhat of an excuse/defense for the arguable downturn of the program instead of another piece of evidence of where the staff made poor decisions.

The sanctions were excessive relative to what other programs got hit with but the bottom line is we still had some embarassing offenses that if our staff handled better we aren't in this position.
We were overpunished by the NCAA because they didn't like JB didn't care for them. JB is right about the NCAA but the NCAA treated 3 misdemeanors that maybe should have resulted in 1 loss scholarship for a year or two and treated us as habitual felony violators and over-punished us.
If the AD didn't include JB's initial retirement date I think we may have gotten punished even more. Plus the 1 year postseason ban was such a joke.

We were overpunished by the NCAA because they didn't like JB didn't care for them. JB is right about the NCAA but the NCAA treated 3 misdemeanors that maybe should have resulted in 1 loss scholarship for a year or two and treated us as habitual felony violators and over-punished us.
If the AD didn't include JB's initial retirement date I think we may have gotten punished even more. Plus the 1 year postseason ban was such a joke.

No doubt the NCAA went wild because they had a personal vendatta against JB. That's part of my point is if you know it would be your second major hit of sanctions in your tenure and know the NCAA isn't giving you kid gloves like they would other programs then why be so sloppy with the drug policy or run things tighter so a member of your staff doesn't log in to the player's email and pretend to be the player to teachers. It's just reckless and bad decision making when it's your job as the leader of the program to make sure you aren't doing things exactly like those. I mean that should be the easy stuff.

No doubt the NCAA went wild because they had a personal vendatta against JB. That's part of my point is if you know it would be your second major hit of sanctions in your tenure and know the NCAA isn't giving you kid gloves like they would other programs then why be so sloppy with the drug policy or run things tighter so a member of your staff doesn't log in to the player's email and pretend to be the player to teachers. It's just reckless and bad decision making when it's your job as the leader of the program to make sure you aren't doing things exactly like those. I mean that should be the easy stuff.
JB being lax is one of his biggest sins in this mess. He doesn't run a tight ship. That is good but also came back to bite.
I don't blame him for the YMCA or Fab Melo/tutor things at all. The YMCA thing was a nothing burger the kids got paid for no-show jobs that isn't JB's fault and the money was only a couple of hundred dollars it wasn't anything more than spending day to day money.
The Fab Melo/tutor no way JB order a code red for Fab Melo. The tutor was trying to help Fab but as I think JB is lax I don't think he had any knowledge.
The drug policy that is on JB. If BB players were failing SU imposed drug tests its on him to tell the parents or report the failures up the chain. It is a minor violation though.

We were overpunished. I wish JB would have sued the NCAA like Penn State fans did to get Paterno's wins back as he would have had a good case.