Saratoga | Syracusefan.com

Saratoga

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
Anyone heading to the Spa this year? The new At The Rail looks like a nice addition. Now if they can only fix it so Chad Brown and one of the Ortiz brothers doesn't win every race...

13 races yesterday, after the cancellation Saturday. Some good racing. Missed on last race of the early pick 5 which would have paid 5-6K but wound up a few bucks ahead.

Been there two days since they opened. I think the early start date with 5 days as opposed to 6 has hurt attendance early. I always liked sticking around for Monday as it was so much easier to get a picnic table and hang out but spent last night there woke up real early and drove back to work today.

the new spacing may play out well it may not.. I dont know as one year will tell the story either depending on the weather..

13 races yesterday, after the cancellation Saturday. Some good racing. Missed on last race of the early pick 5 which would have paid 5-6K but wound up a few bucks ahead.

Been there two days since they opened. I think the early start date with 5 days as opposed to 6 has hurt attendance early. I always liked sticking around for Monday as it was so much easier to get a picnic table and hang out but spent last night there woke up real early and drove back to work today.
I was going to go three times so far but it rained or was 90 degrees each timed. Will definitely be there for the Whitney and Travers and one or two other times.

I was going to go three times so far but it rained or was 90 degrees each timed. Will definitely be there for the Whitney and Travers and one or two other times.

Yeah last Saturday was tough because that really was the weekend that is typically opening weekend. Many I’m sure planned well in advance to travel to Saratoga that weekend and I bet a ton of people cancelled once Saturday was taken off the table. Talking to a bartender I know there and they said it’s been pretty quiet so far all things considered. Other than self interest I think it’s the right call to go to 5 days a week. Gives all people working at around the track a bit of a break. Racing 6 days a week is a lot.

Like I said I use to like the Sunday/Monday run

As far as racing goes been really impressed with Ricardo Santana and Jose Lezcano. Both jocks are riding at the top of their game. Both tough to leave off any ticket.

Asmussen/ Santana combo has been tough and Lezcano who has always been a great turf rider has been great on the dirt lately too

The horses that have shipped in from KY have been live too

Yeah last Saturday was tough because that really was the weekend that is typically opening weekend. Many I’m sure planned well in advance to travel to Saratoga that weekend and I bet a ton of people cancelled once Saturday was taken off the table. Talking to a bartender I know there and they said it’s been pretty quiet so far all things considered. Other than self interest I think it’s the right call to go to 5 days a week. Gives all people working at around the track a bit of a break. Racing 6 days a week is a lot.

Like I said I use to like the Sunday/Monday run
I have some friends who work in the service industry and retail and they are not fans. They think the dark Monday has eliminated Sunday business too. Time will tell if it was a smart change or not. Personally I think moving it earlier and earlier has been a mistake. I liked "the August place to be".

I have some friends who work in the service industry and retail and they are not fans. They think the dark Monday has eliminated Sunday business too. Time will tell if it was a smart change or not. Personally I think moving it earlier and earlier has been a mistake. I liked "the August place to be".

Yeah I think the horseman and media people love it, the hospitality people not so much. Sunday nights always seemed to clear out but I thought Sunday was pretty dead, I found a pretty cheap hotel room right in town last minute Sunday night, was dead for sure

Anyone heading to the Spa this year? The new At The Rail looks like a nice addition. Now if they can only fix it so Chad Brown and one of the Ortiz brothers doesn't win every race...

Chad and Jose are off to really good starts, Irad is really struggling for couple weeks. Interesting to see how things change. I think Jose is leading rider right now even with taking a day off to ride elate in Delaware

What is really amazing is that Irad has really good numbers on turf but is something like 0 for 20 at Saratoga so far. Crazy but when he gets hoy he will win 5 in a day or something crazy

I think the 3 horse Chad stake was a bit overblown. I believe there were 4 scratches that day. Wesley Ward enters and scratches more horses than any other trainer I have ever seen. even out of stake races which is really weird. He scratched two out of that race

Last edited:
Saturday was just a fantastic performance from Imperial Hint AKA " the little rocket in the Vanderbilt, He really is a small horse but that was most impressive run I have seen in some time. And then Shancelot in the Amsterdam was probably even better. Crazy couple of sprint stakes

Was there an $80 winner Sunday? May stop in tomorrow if anyone has any hot winners they want to share...

Was there an $80 winner Sunday? May stop in tomorrow if anyone has any hot winners they want to share...

There was a couple prices in the last few races a $80 in the last and $38 in there Late pick 4 paid $19K on a $1.