Sarcasm aside, why the exodus at UConn? | Syracusefan.com

Sarcasm aside, why the exodus at UConn?

OttosBestFriend

2nd String
Without simply saying things like, "UConn sucks" or making other sarcastic replies, can someone share a sincere reason as to why UConn basketball is experiencing such a run of transfers and decommits this month?

One poor season shouldn't lead to this many defections unless something is going on behind the scenes.

Hearing about the AAC is one thing but im sure after experiencing it first hand with the ridiculously small crowds and small media attention it provides the kids are like y the heck am I here? Im sure Ollie recruits well and gives em this whole story that never comes to fruition. ( marquee games, great crowds etc). Its all smoke and mirrors and the glam has worn off quickly.

There is a poll on one of the threads at the yard that a plurality of their fans want Ollie gone if he doesn't win 20 games this year.

Without simply saying things like, "UConn sucks" or making other sarcastic replies, can someone share a sincere reason as to why UConn basketball is experiencing such a run of transfers and decommits this month?

One poor season shouldn't lead to this many defections unless something is going on behind the scenes.

Tired of being in the backseat at a women's basketball school?

This is going to be an unpopular viewpoint to some, but I believe what we're seeing is UConn transitioning into status quo as a mid-major. Ollie is a pretty good coach, albeit maybe somewhat overrated based upon early returns. He won with Calhoun's players, and sustained some top 25 play for a time, but since then has seen a precipitous tail off. The reality is, the AAC is a goofy conference. While they were able to ride their track record for a short period of time, with recruits still associating UConn with the Big East success they had, they had a much easier time recruiting.

Fact of the matter is they still might challenge to be a bottom end top 25 program, if Ollie can continue to recruit well. But as we've seen the past few years, you have to win the AAC to guarantee an NCAA berth, or have an exceptional season that warrants inclusion. They have an entirely different set of problems now than they did 4 years ago, when this was thrust upon them. They've got one foot in their history, and the other in mid-major-dom, and they are getting further away from their past accomplishments with each passing year.

This is going to be an unpopular viewpoint to some, but I believe what we're seeing is UConn transitioning into status quo as a mid-major. Ollie is a pretty good coach, albeit maybe somewhat overrated based upon early returns. He won with Calhoun's players, and sustained some top 25 play for a time, but since then has seen a precipitous tail off. The reality is, the AAC is a goofy conference. While they were able to ride their track record for a short period of time, with recruits still associating UConn with the Big East success they had, they had a much easier time recruiting.

Fact of the matter is they still might challenge to be a bottom end top 25 program, if Ollie can continue to recruit well. But as we've seen the past few years, you have to win the AAC to guarantee an NCAA berth, or have an exceptional season that warrants inclusion. They have an entirely different set of problems now than they did 4 years ago, when this was thrust upon them. They've got one foot in their history, and the other in mid-major-dom, and they are getting further away from their past accomplishments with each passing year.
Definitely at a crossroads. Are they UMass or Gonzaga? Or do they get a P5 lifeline?

Did they miss any post season play this year? I don't remember seeing them in the NIT bracket. I would put it this way: look at how unsettled we feel like our program is right now. Many of our fans are worried that our program is a serious decline. That is with the HOF coach locked in for another couple years, a top notch practice facility, a seat in the best conference in the land, two recent final fours, a string of first round picks rivaled only by the most elite programs, incredible exposure and revenue, etc. To us, the "overall #1 seed in the NIT" was an unspeakable disaster. UConn has every single problem our fans imagine we have and much more. Terrible conference affiliation, lacking revenue stream, aging facilities with no likely ability to update, a coach who is not unproven but is also not a top name, limited TV exposure, missed the post season completely, second fiddle on their own campus to the women's team. They have dire strategic problems right now. Dire.

Definitely at a crossroads. Are they UMass or Gonzaga? Or do they get a P5 lifeline?
This^^^
Once the BIG XII expansion fiasco didn't pan out for them, their fate was sealed. All their history and tradition matters little in the current environment. In the game of musical chairs, they simply got left behind.
Barring a major turn of events in CR, they seem destined for a gloomy future in the AAC. Better them than us!

Did they miss any post season play this year? I don't remember seeing them in the NIT bracket.

They were 16-17 this year - no post-season play.

With respect to the departures, the Hartford Courant would have you believe that Ollie is engineering all of the moves - (a) he took one of the departed Washington coaches to replace his assistant that left and (b) told the guys who are transferring that it might be in their best interest to do so.

Are the people leaving going to P-5 schools or are they moving laterally (or worse)?

They were 16-17 this year - no post-season play.

With respect to the departures, the Hartford Courant would have you believe that Ollie is engineering all of the moves - (a) he took one of the departed Washington coaches to replace his assistant that left and (b) told the guys who are transferring that it might be in their best interest to do so.
I think that's the optimistic fans. That this was all planned and with Chillious on board they'll bring some of his guys over from UW as well as some unsigned guys.

If that is the case, it's a huge risk. Jackson and Durham were top 100 guys and MAL was top 30. Jackson was first team all-rookie AAC.

If the plan wasn't to offload all of these guys on purpose, then something bigger is happening. Firing Glen Miller was odd. Chillious has never been regarded as a great coach (Just a great recruiter), then they have Killings who I believe was just a prep HS and Ollie's buddy, and Ricky Moore. Not exactly a staff that strikes fear in the heart of opponents.

If it was planned - wait and see.

If it wasn't - welp I can't imagine Ollie has too many more seasons left in Storrs. Maybe he should have went to the Lakers after all

Are the people leaving going to P-5 schools or are they moving laterally (or worse)?
MAL will end up at PC or Ville.

Jackson will probably end up on a P5 on the west coast.

Durham will probably end up in the south east, but who knows what kinda school he ends up at. I believe he was a top 10 recruit before 2 knee injuries.

No idea about Enoch. He is probably not a P5 player at this moment

It just struck me that UConn really dodged a bullet in 2003, when SU was all set to go to the ACC before Virginia politics intervened. If Syracuse makes the move in '03 instead of '13. the Old Big East might well have imploded a decade sooner, and the split of the BB-onlys from the FB's would have occurred much sooner. The Huskies likely would not have had the horses to win their 3rd and 4th titles.

Some of us warned of this a few years ago and when they had their miracle runs in the tournament we were told we were way off. UConn going in to last year, was 8 games over .500 total over the previous 7 seasons. There can be no doubt that not getting a chair when the music stopped has really hurt them. It will only get worse.

This is spot on and the fanbase is very sensative about it... in denial.

I think this is 100% true. It's not that they can't overcome it, but it's definitely much more of an uphill climb than it was before.

And, consider the following (please note that I'm just a huge SU fan and desperately want to see them succeed):
12/2010: NCAA notice of inquiry of potential violations (not public, AFAIR)
9/2011: Deal to join ACC
11/2011: Bernie Fine allegations
3/2012: First public report of violations (Yahoo report on drug policy)

Regardless of your view of the validity of those issues, I don't think you need that active an imagination to see a scenario where UConn gets our ACC spot and we have Tulsa on our conference schedule. I'm very glad that things worked out the way they did.

I think this is 100% true. It's not that they can't overcome it, but it's definitely much more of an uphill climb than it was before.

And, consider the following (please note that I'm just a huge SU fan and desperately want to see them succeed):
12/2010: NCAA notice of inquiry of potential violations (not public, AFAIR)
9/2011: Deal to join ACC
11/2011: Bernie Fine allegations
3/2012: First public report of violations (Yahoo report on drug policy)

Regardless of your view of the validity of those issues, I don't think you need that active an imagination to see a scenario where UConn gets our ACC spot and we have Tulsa on our conference schedule. I'm very glad that things worked out the way they did.
Unless you take into account the immense bad will UConn did to themselves by leading the lawsuit against ACC.

If you lose a kid to Providence College you know you have fallen a long ways!

If you lose a kid to Providence College you know you have fallen a long ways!

SNOWFLAKE WARNING

NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW NFSW NFSW NFSW NFSW NFSW NFSW NFSW NFSW NFSW NFSW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom