College Football 2011 Preview: Syracuse Orange Predictions

Practice report: Syracuse

Fall Webcast Schedule Released

Video

73457_156072204429748_112657605437875_238189_1729766_n.jpg

SU holds pep rally

Recruiting

466637clid.jpg

It’s that kind of impact tight end Kalief Joyner worked all summer to be able to produce. The 6-foot-4, 240-pound senior played behind Chris Hartney, who is now at Pace, last season and blew up on the college camp circuit over the summer. He now has interest from UConn, Rutgers, Syracuse, Maryland, Purdue, Penn State and Boston College. Joyner is an excellent blocker. He and 6-foot-6 Jordan Fuchs, also a basketball star for the Royals, will be big targets for Gluick.“I think we can be just as explosive as last year,” Joyner said. “We are more cohesive. We have to work together to produce.”

Hunt’s era at the Middle Village school ended with one of the best individual season in recent this years. This group feels it is ready to continue that in a wide open CHSFL Class AA-A division.

“Now that we are a winning team,” Gluick said, "we want to maintain the winning record.”
NYP

Kalif Joyner Video

Former Player

bilde

That's Doug Hogue on the right going up against Stephen Tulloch during a linebacker drill at Allen Park on Wednesday

LB: C+
This unit is solid and deep but lacks that one terrorizing force that collects sacks, TFL, or interceptions. DeAndre Levy is solid and versatile enough to play all 3 LB positions. Levy needs to stay healthy to make that next step. Stephen Tulloch is a tackling machine at MLB. He is solid in pass coverage and hits like a ton of bricks. He signed a one year contract that the Lions should extend. Bobby Carpenter looked good when the Lions brought him in and will compete with athletic the Justin Durant on the strong side. Ashley Palmer and Doug Hogue will provide depth. Hogue, 5th round selection, is very raw but I see him as a future force.

2011 NFL Draft:
Did the Lions need Nick Fairley? No. Was Fairly the best player on the board when the Lions drafted? Yes. He is a force and teamed with Suh should form the backbone of this defense for years to come. In round two the Lions acquired Titus Young and Mikel Leshoure to round out the weapons for Matthew Stafford. Round 5 I believe the Lions got a steal in extremely gifted, yet raw LB Doug Hogue. I was disappointed the Lions did not take any OL talent. B+
NFLM

Minnesota Vikings team report: Donovan McNabb to play into third quarter with ...
INJURY UPDATE: Gamble dislocated his finger but it was reset by the medical staff and he’s not expected to miss any game time, Rivera said. If worse comes to worse Gamble can wear a small cast on his hand.

The Panthers expect to get starters Jeff Otah, Greg Hardy and Tony Fiammetta back to practice this week. It’s unclear when Jon Beason (Achilles) and RG Geoff Schwartz (hip) will return
SS

Dip-Stick Philly Writer

The Vikings will host the Cowboys on Saturday night in their first game at Mall of America Field since a snowstorm tore a hole in the roof in December.
Now that the Vikings have Donovan McNabb at quarterback, they'll have to worry about holes being punched in the turf five feet in front of intended receivers.
(So that's what you get for 11 years of bloood, sweat, tears and championships with garbage recievers!!!)
By Don McKee
Inquirer Sports Writer

Fantasy

Carter_Delone.jpg

Joseph Addai is the starter, but then what for the Colts? We know Addai is the main man for the Colts, but rookie Delone Carter has apparently wowed the staff and has earned some playing time. With the reports that Donald Brown is transitioning into more of a third down, change-of-pace role, Carter has the chance to really make an impact as a deep sleeper because he is the second "runner" on the depth chart. If Addai gets hurt, Carter would likely be the primary runner and goal line back and he is an excellent between the tackles runner. Remember, Javarris James was Fantasy relevant for a stretch last year when he scored six times in six weeks and Carter is much more talented. Make sure Addai stays in at the stripe to secure his value and then pay close attention to what role, if any, Carter appears to have with the starters.
CBS

Around The Big East

Big East mailblog

Prediction Time

Former Patriot Tebucky Jones' Son Trying to Find His Own Identity

College Football Betting: 5 Things We Must Know About the Big East

Around The Nation

Top 25 games of the season (or why the SEC still rules)

New Taunting Rule Will Compromise the Integrity of the Game

Tipsheet: SMU for Texas A&M not much of a trade

3-point stance: On Miami's suspensions

David Shaw fulfills father's dream

Utes, Buffs prepare for on-field transition

Miami-Maryland season opener shrouded in mystery

Blogs

HURRICANEVIEWFROMSPACE.jpg

Stay Safe During Hurricane Irene, Syracuse Fans

Syracuse Football: Get To Know Your Orange Pariah - #5 Marcus Sales

Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Podcast 13: SU Football & Cooking Shows

Thursday Is Pinstripe Bowl Champions Day & It Finally Makes Sense

University News

Hurricane Irene update: College students race storm to get back ...

Glad to have this back. Thanks again for your exhaustive searches for all things Syracuse.

From the Big East mailbag, I thought this was funny:

John LeClair in Syracuse writes: Doesn't any one from Syracuse write you any emails?

Adelson writes: I think they are still mad I picked Syracuse to miss a bowl game last year.

Aaah. OE's posts are back. My blood pressure and anxiety levels can now return to normal. Thanks OE, for all you do. And no, I am not an addict- I can stop obsessively reading the articles you post any time, man. Honest.

Dan Vasta, the writer from GridironGrit, sure doesn't give us any respect. In fact, it's bulletin board material.

Late AM Post-Standard articles:

Syracuse University football team will get solid contribution from walk-ons this season

Senior tight end Tom Trendowski (6-2, 242) will see the field on special teams and perhaps short-yardage situations. Senior wide receiver Michael Acchione (5-11, 174) runs precise routes and can catch the ball in traffic. He has made the rotation. Trendowski is a Westhill alum, Acchione from Solvay. It would be great to see the pair rewarded with a scholarship for their years of service. Marrone does have a few to spare.

Syracuse University football coach Doug Marrone is a man with a plan every minute of every day

Re: "It would be great to see the pair rewarded with a scholarship for their years of service. Marrone does have a few to spare." As I reported yesterday on Scout, Acchione & Trendowski have been rewarded with full scholarships.

Re: "It would be great to see the pair rewarded with a scholarship for their years of service. Marrone does have a few to spare." As I reported yesterday on Scout, Acchione & Trendowski have been rewarded with full scholarships.
Good for them. Hard work, hustle and knowledge of the game can be very rewarding. Keeping a clean trouble free slate can help as well,lol.

Dan Vasta, the writer from GridironGrit, sure doesn't give us any respect. In fact, it's bulletin board material.

"The Orange could pull off an upset or two and avoid the basement of the Big East, but that is what I like to call dreaming"

He has us finishing 7th in the Big East and Rutgers finishing 8th. After looking at Rutgers preview, I noticed he states the following:

"I have the Scarlet starting out at 3-1 before losing five straight to Pittsburgh, Navy, Louisville, West Virginia and South Florida."

If that's the case, he must have them beating Syracuse. Otherwise it would have read, "I have the Scarlet (Knights) starting out at 3-0 before losing six straight to Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Navy, Louisville, West Virginia and South Florida. This, of course, would put Rutgers in 7th and Syracuse in 8th. Nothing like checking your season predictions prior to posting them.

Then there's this picture that links into the article:

timthumb.php

Looks like nobody told Rahme.

Now that I looked a little more into this Dan Vasta, he is a complete moron. Take this for example:

"Never before has a Big East Champion become BCS National Champions, and the only time they appeared in the BCS National Championship was way back in 2000, when the Virginia Tech Hokies were smoked by the Florida State Seminoles 46-29!"

Wouldn't one want to fact check things of this nature:

January 3, 2002 - Miami (Big East Champ) 37 - Nebraska (Big 12 Champ) 14 - Looks like someone got smoked more than VaTech eh?

January 3, 2003 - Ohio State (Big Ten Champ) 31 - Miami (Big East Champ) 24 - That looks like a total of three BCS Championship appearances from the Big East (According to his criteria)

The ACC's last appearance was January 3, 2001 when Florida State scored all of 2 points. They are tied with the Big East with ONE BCSs Championship. The Pac-12 only has ONE as well. Oh wait, that was vacated.

Idiot!

Thanks Dan! You are one of the reasons I continue to follow the migration from site, to site, to site. Your work and dedication is very much appreciated.

Thanks OE, wouldn't be the same without this or you. Keep up the good work buddy!

Nice to see the daily back on schedule!

That comment and answer with AA is ridiculously understated...she didn't just pick us to miss a bowl game last year, I believe she said there was no evidence of the "ship being righted" anytime soon. At least, it was something to the effect of a played out analogy for SU not showing any signs of positive change. Which, if you took a moment to look past the wins and losses in 09, you could at least see that there was a complete culture change. They were actually playing to the end of games as if they thought they could win, rather than looking lost out there when they got down. I feel like that blog is really only for Pitt, WV, and USF fans most days, with other teams thrown in there once in a while to change it up.

This adorable question was directly under that 2 line exchange :

Rob in New Jersey writes: Why did you pick Rutgers last? All they did is have five straight winning seasons and four bowl wins. We have one bad season and now we are a last-place team. I question your football knowledge when you do things like that. Hopefully I don't eat those words later (lol). Better D, Better O, Better Coaching = 8-9 wins.

... lol, indeed. it's not what you've done in the past, it's what you can do going forward