Saturday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Saturday Articles

if you think putting roofees into an unsuspecting frosh females drinks is a good thing then:
  • you don't have a daughter
  • you most likely are a fan of fratpac
There are at least 2 fraternities at SU whose members to this.

if you think putting roofees into an unsuspecting frosh females drinks is a good thing then:

Then shut those fraternities down. Don't punish everyone else. I've seen a rash, across the board decision destroy Greek life at a college, and it isn't fair to those who followed rules. I'm all for fraternities and sororities standing up for their rights.

I'm really sick of all this nanny state philisophising about who the kids just are not ready to go pro. No one says that about kids going to the military at 17 or 18 or becoming fathers or having to move out of their house and live life on their own, or moving to play junior hockey at 16 or minor league baseball at 18.
It's really about college coaches being able to use cheap labor to make millions for themselves and their schools.
If it was really about the kids the rule would be that everyone graduating high school is eligible for the draft. You can take your name out of the draft but that's to your commitment to the school. You can leave your name in the draft and if you're drafted you can either enter the league or forgo your entry into the NBA and go to school but that would be at least two or three year commitment to the school. Let the NBA team pay the drafted kids 200 bucks a week so just he has some money and they can retain the rights.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Any kind of evidence for this accusation? Any legal allegations, open court cases, convictions, eye witness testimony? Anything that validates this statement in any way? It is very easy to throw out baseless accusations that blanket an entire category of people, in this case college kids.

My fraternity spent a lot of effort preventing us from doing dumb stuff. The same dumb stuff that gets kids thrown off football teams and out of college on a weekly basis. In fact, we had required study periods, and access to tutoring from senior members for most classes. Our success rate academically was substantially higher than the general population of our school.

Members of fraternities and sororities aren't any more likely than the standard college student to do dangerous, ill considered behavior. But what we do have is rules that we follow to prevent things from getting out of hand. Our hazing was tough, but the rules were iron clad, and nobody ever got hurt. During my years in the fraternity, with two pledge classes every semester (over 120 pledges), we had exactly one injury that required medical attention. The pledge slipped during his daily Physical Training and tore his ACL. We modified his work so he could complete the program safely. On another occasion a real jackass of a brother was banned from any rush or pledge activities because we determined he was probably going to hurt someone if we allowed him to participate. These guys are our prospective BROTHERS, not punching bags, and it is our duty to take care of them.

This is how a good, responsible fraternity takes care of its members. I would guess that most of the fraternities out there fall in this category.

Individual cases of out of control hazing that result in injury or illness for the pledges should be documented and prosecuted on a case by case basis.

Any kind of evidence for this accusation? Any legal allegations, open court cases, convictions, eye witness testimony? Anything that validates this statement in any way? It is very easy to throw out baseless accusations that blanket an entire category of people, in this case college kids.

My fraternity spent a lot of effort preventing us from doing dumb stuff. The same dumb stuff that gets kids thrown off football teams and out of college on a weekly basis. In fact, we had required study periods, and access to tutoring from senior members for most classes. Our success rate academically was substantially higher than the general population of our school.

Members of fraternities and sororities aren't any more likely than the standard college student to do dangerous, ill considered behavior. But what we do have is rules that we follow to prevent things from getting out of hand. Our hazing was tough, but the rules were iron clad, and nobody ever got hurt. During my years in the fraternity, with two pledge classes every semester (over 120 pledges), we had exactly one injury that required medical attention. The pledge slipped during his daily Physical Training and tore his ACL. We modified his work so he could complete the program safely. On another occasion a real jackass of a brother was banned from any rush or pledge activities because we determined he was probably going to hurt someone if we allowed him to participate. These guys are our prospective BROTHERS, not punching bags, and it is our duty to take care of them.

This is how a good, responsible fraternity takes care of its members. I would guess that most of the fraternities out there fall in this category.

Individual cases of out of control hazing that result in injury or illness for the pledges should be documented and prosecuted on a case by case basis.
ask any student and they will tell you; it's true.
The university seems to have very little interest in policing these groups; they are independent organizations
Among students this is well known information and first years are warned about this and to not take a drink from anyone they do not know.
I am not saying that all Greek letter groups are doing this I know of 2. However there is rampant hazing which is illegal in most states. The national organizations have little control over what the undergraduates do. Just a few years ago there was a fraternity ay SU, Delta Upsilon that the students referred to as Drugs Unlimited because they were dealing drugs from their house. I am not against fraternities; just opposed to what some have become. Open your eyes.