Savage tweet from Yahoo Sports RE: UCONN | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Savage tweet from Yahoo Sports RE: UCONN

Spending money like a boatload of drunken sailors on half baked facilities for non-revenue sports while the AD is running a massive deficite is incredible.

I’m going to send their athletic director a Christmas card.

Spending money like a boatload of drunken sailors on half baked facilities for non-revenue sports while the AD is running a massive deficite is incredible.

I’m going to send their athletic director a Christmas card.

It's not incredible, Rutgers has been doing so for decades and look what it has done for their teams! ... Crap, defeated my own argument. Your point stands, it is incredible.

If I’m being honest, it makes financial sense to stay in fbs. The ‘losses’ look bigger on paper than they actually are. Part of a scholarship/tuition covers variable costs. The rest covers fixed costs. Yes, the cost of education is subsidized by their endowment, which is a complicating factor, but it doesn’t change the underlying economics. Furthermore, the argument that scholarships are connected to opportunity costs makes sense on the surface, but it’s highly misleading at virtually every major school not named “Wake Forest.” No major school on the planet can tell you how many students they will have down to the student. There is always some float/volatility, so individual football players aren’t truly taking someone’s spot much (the vast majority) of the time. Also, the facilities are already built, so those costs will be incurred anyway.

Beyond just looking at costs, a number of revenue streams (media money, donations, etc.) are driven by the football team, but they aren’t linked to it. The same is true with value streams like ‘exposure,’ and ‘student quality of life.’ Therefore, the revenue side of the equation is understated.

The combined effect of overstating relevant losses and understating revenues makes the program’s profitability look much worse than it actually is.

However, the above said, UConn football was never relevant. Their best season was an 8-4 3-way tie for the BIG EAST championship that led them, as an unranked team, to a Fiesta Bowl massacre that nobody watched. UConn football isn’t relevant. They had the worst defense ever last year, en route to a 1-11 campaign. And, UConn football will probably never be relevant. They couldn’t make it happen with a BCS tie-in, an easy schedule, and new facilities, so they probably can’t make it happen with a g5 tie-in, old facilities, and no money.

They should trim a bunch of unnecessary Olympic sports, go Indy in football (unless the AAC is dumb enough to let them stay football-only), and join the BIG EAST for everything else. They’d have way more relevance in a sport where they can compete, they’d have way more money, their costs would be lower, and they’d play a regionally interesting schedule.

My guess is that the reason why they haven’t made that move yet is because they’re still getting BIG EAST exit money (i.e. our money), and leaving the AAC before this summer would cause them to forfeit part of their share. However, once the cash is safely in the black hole that they call their bank account, my guess is that they’ll look to make a move.

In the mean time, half their fans don’t understand how important BIG EAST exit money is to their AD, and the other half are too drunk on Kool-Aid to know how terrible the AAC is for the school. I’m definitely not complaining, though. Watching their fan base fight over equally wrong positions, while the AD spirals into oblivion, is incredible.
I can see why UConn would like to get into the Big East and park football in another conference, but why would that make sense for the Big East? Does the UConn brand really add to the leaue’s basketball profile? Calhoun is gone, there’s no tie to the glory days. Villanova, Creighton, Providence, Marquette, they’ve got a nice conference already. They have NYC and New England covered already. Why divide the pie one more way? And why add a school that from the day it entered would be looking to book a ticket into the ACC or B1G? If the Big East is smart, and I think they are, they will never take a school that has an FBS football program.

I can see why UConn would like to get into the Big East and park football in another conference, but why would that make sense for the Big East? Does the UConn brand really add to the leaue’s basketball profile? Calhoun is gone, there’s no tie to the glory days. Villanova, Creighton, Providence, Marquette, they’ve got a nice conference already. They have NYC and New England covered already. Why divide the pie one more way? And why add a school that from the day it entered would be looking to book a ticket into the ACC or B1G? If the Big East is smart, and I think they are, they will never take a school that has an FBS football program.

It's pretty simple - if UCONN basketball adds $$$ value to the Big East's television contract, then they would be happy to take them on. And I think UCONN basketball still has that value and would be a solid addition to that conference.

Quinn Snyder is impressed with how much coke Dan Hurley does before a game.
kzZ7sUd.gif

UConn to the B1G and/or ACC is an absolute pipe dream. It will never happen, and it will never come close to every almost happening. I doubt the BIG EAST would care. It’s not like UConn realistically has a better place to go. They’d be stuck in the conference for a long, long time.

And my hatred aside, UConn would be above average in terms of fan support in the BIG EAST - unless they spend the next couple of decades burning that equity away in the AAC like many of their fans (hilariously) want.

Don’t get me wrong. I’d love to see them get rejected, but I don’t think that it would happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="Cuse1992, post: 2885246, member: 1735"]UCONN = COLGATE. When we are 90 our grand kids and great grand kids will find programs from 1990 and think wow - UCONN was good once?[/QUOTE]
Minus the academic standing.

[QUOTE="Cuse1992, post: 2885246, member: 1735"]UCONN = COLGATE. When we are 90 our grand kids and great grand kids will find programs from 1990 and think wow - UCONN was good once?
Minus the academic standing.[/QUOTE]
SU is really great at watching rivals die.

Colgate died in football, and UConn is in the process of turning into UMass in basketball.

In addition, UConn is unlike the 10 schools of the Big East. They are a large, public, flagship university. The others are all smaller, private, Catholic (save Butler) schools. A totally different culture.

A league that was gutted would be getting back one of its basketball crown jewels. Sure its been diminished but 2014 isn't ancient history and VT/Miami/BC never did much in hoops and Ville and UC were only in the league for 9 or 10 years. They aren't getting us back. They could get ND back in the future if they move away from the ACC thing. That might be a 2 bid league this year Nova and Marquette could be it if the other schools beat each other up too much. They aren't telling Uconn to get lost. They'd happily go to 11 teams 20 game league schedule to mirror the ACC going to 20.

A league that was gutted would be getting back one of its basketball crown jewels. Sure its been diminished but 2014 isn't ancient history and VT/Miami/BC never did much in hoops and Ville and UC were only in the league for 9 or 10 years. They aren't getting us back. They could get ND back in the future if they move away from the ACC thing. That might be a 2 bid league this year Nova and Marquette could be it if the other schools beat each other up too much. They aren't telling Uconn to get lost. They'd happily go to 11 teams 20 game league schedule to mirror the ACC going to 20.
And you know this how?

Which one of the big boys has 11 teams?

Not sure I just know that a league with 10 teams doesn't have the option of having a 20 game conference slate. They aren't going to make schools play each other 3 times in the regular season.

Not sure I just know that a league with 10 teams doesn't have the option of having a 20 game conference slate. They aren't going to make schools play each other 3 times in the regular season.
Well, the B1G and ACC will have 20. Have the SEC and the PAC-12 decided on their number?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom