Say good bye to annual 25 scholarship limit | Syracusefan.com

Say good bye to annual 25 scholarship limit

Moontan

2017 ESPN College Bowl Pick’em Winner
If all 85 scholarship athletes were to leave in 1 year then you can bring in 85 new scholarship athletes - HS & transfers.

If all 85 scholarship athletes were to leave in 1 year then you can bring in 85 new scholarship athletes - HS & transfers.

That makes sense in the context of having excess departures within an 85 player roster limit.

A lot of kids are at greater risk to have the talk.

This was inevitable given the new rules.

It gives coaches a hell of a lot more leeway towards building a program quickly.

I hope in conjunction with this, the NCAA enforces the requirement schools have to honor scholarships for at least 4 years.

This is dumb. It’s like throwing gas on a dumpster fire.
Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF

I wonder if schools/coaches will go against the grain and avoid the portal to be able to credibly day to recruits, you commit to us, we commit to you

This is all gross. All these delusional kids getting their heads bashed in during practice, not playing, then getting recruited over. Almost everyone is better off playing down

On the positive side, this is good for teams that lose a lot to the transfer portal. But, let's be honest here, players have been pushing for more autonomy and freedom, as well as to be treated like employees. If this is what one side wants, why would it surprise anyone that the other side is going to do something to balance things out.

It gives coaches a hell of a lot more leeway towards building a program quickly.

I hope in conjunction with this, the NCAA enforces the requirement schools have to honor scholarships for at least 4 years.
That may be hard to enforce unless someone decides to be a whistleblower. Coaches will just claim they didn't cut anyone, they transferred voluntarily.

That may be hard to enforce unless someone decides to be a whistleblower. Coaches will just claim they didn't cut anyone, they transferred voluntarily.
It shouldn’t be hard, but by its nature someone would have to report it. I don’t think the coach would care if they stay at the school if they don’t count towards the limit.

So 85 player cap is still in place. This seems reasonable

to be fair we have been pushing kids out for years. I think it's just going to get kicked up a notch.

It shouldn’t be hard, but by its nature someone would have to report it. I don’t think the coach would care if they stay at the school if they don’t count towards the limit.
Why would they not count toward the limit? It's the 25 per year that's changing, not the 85 total.

I just hate for the kids who are mid 3 star guys who don’t make the money cause they kept transferring. It s tough for me. I want them to make money but this isn’t working

I just hate for the kids who are mid 3 star guys who don’t make the money cause they kept transferring. It s tough for me. I want them to make money but this isn’t working
Why keep transferring?

Give it a shot to make it to the pros, while you obtain an education and are prepared to join the mainstream in case the football dreams don't play out.

Why would they not count toward the limit? It's the 25 per year that's changing, not the 85 total.
They are no longer in the program. Guaranteed scholarship not roster spot.

In theory, NIL money can be used to provide "scholarships" for those who may be asked to step aside.

I don't think the NCAA allows that outside of injury, do they?

I don't think the NCAA allows that outside of injury, do they?
Now I am not sure. I was thinking of what happened at Colorado, but that situation has its own rule.

Maybe teams just declare injuries like Alabama did with Ingraham before he came to SU.

First-year head coaches, like Sanders, have access to the NCAA's "Aid After Departure of Head Coach" rule, which allows them to cut scholarship players and not have them count against the 85-scholarship limit, as long as those players remain on scholarship through the university.