scary thought? Where we be when doug runs out of | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

scary thought? Where we be when doug runs out of

Which part -(1) that Rutgers may have the best talent in the BE or (2) that SU certainly doesn't?

If (1), fine, but I would bet you that more players from their roster this season make the NFL than any other roster in the conference.

If (2), can you sell me some of what you're smoking?

Rutgers does NOT have the best talent in the Big East. And I have said numerous times SU's talent is on par with USF, UCONN, Rutgers, L'ville. You can disagree. That's fine. I'm not going to call you names or attack you like others do around here when people disagree. I accept your stance, I just don't agree and think its incorrect.

Rutgers does NOT have the best talent in the Big East. And I have said numerous times SU's talent is on par with USF, UCONN, Rutgers, L'ville. You can disagree. That's fine. I'm not going to call you names or attack you like others do around here when people disagree. I accept your stance, I just don't agree and think its incorrect.

I don't disagree SU is on par with the bold teams. I will agree to disagree on Rutgers talent level, however. I don't mind being called names as long as they are original and funny. Names like a$$clown, a$$hat, meathead, etc, however are so worn out that it's annoying to be called them.

g-robs guys? Provo? Lemon? Chew? Bailey? Carter last year. Nassib? West fell in our laps or he doesn't come here. The LB's last year.

Wales, Lemon, West, and Gulley. The only real possible drop off is Provo but only because he's the best TE weve had in awhile. Lemon was recruited by GRob and then kept on by Marrone. Some others were not, so he's not really a GRob recruit like the others you mention. West will be at least as good as Chew this year if he's given the same targets. If not that means someone passed him which is great. Is Bailey really going to be that hard to replace? Why is this scary?

When Nassib is gone half the fans here will need to change their drawers from over excitement, the other half will be waiting to say "told you so" and hoping to be wrong about the next QB in line struggling. In a perfect world Nassib has a great year next year, and his successor is even better still because they can run as well.

I don't disagree SU is on par with the bold teams. I will agree to disagree on Rutgers talent level, however. I don't mind being called names as long as they are original and funny. Names like a$$clown, a$$hat, meathead, etc, however are so worn out that it's annoying to be called them.

I'm not into name calling like some here are. I can discuss sports without going down to that level. Back to the point, so we agree on 3 of the 4 teams and disagree on 1. Fair enough.

Our talent is equal to Ville? Their Qb had offers from Miami, Tenn, Florida, etc. Nassib had offers from: us.

USF recruits the SEC rejects and gets a lot more talent than us. BJ Daniels is better than Nassib, even if Nassib can complete 90% of dink passes against FCS competition.

Our WRs can't catch a cold.

We have RBs it seems, always do.

Our front 7 has got to be one of the smallest in the BE.

We have a good TE but an awful K

I think UCONN's talent is seriously underrated. They took a share of the BE last year and P has a chance to go bowling in his first year.

So I'd just like to know what evidence there is that our guys are as good as theirs. Strong has recruited like a madman, USF has always got talent from Florida, and UCONN went to a BCS game last year.

A four game losing streak brings out the worst in people.

Exactly... classic over-reaction from the "what have you done for me lately" crowd.

How many of you think that Skip Holtz is a better coach than Doug Marrone? Take a look at the USF season... they just finished 5-7 playing a similar schedule to Syracuse. They beat Syracuse, but could end up behind them in the Big East standings after tomorrow if Syracuse beats Pittsburgh. This is his second year and they are going to miss a bowl game for the first time in 7 years! I wonder if USF fans are griping about his "ceiling" and how he only won last year because of Leavitt's seniors.

What about Butch Jones? Is he a good coach? Last year Cincinnati was awful with the best QB in the league (Collaros), and a young defense. This year, they have a more experienced defense and have played much better. If Collaros hadn't been injured, they would likely be heading to the BCS game this year.

Clearly, there are weaknesses on this team, but they were in every single game this year (excluding maybe USC). The only "complete" game they played so far this year when all 3 phases were firing on all cylinders was against West Virginia. In hindsight, I think that game is prompting much of this angst. It showed everyone the possibilities, and then the team came back down to earth afterwards and hasn't recovered.

Exactly... classic over-reaction from the "what have you done for me lately" crowd.

How many of you think that Skip Holtz is a better coach than Doug Marrone? Take a look at the USF season... they just finished 5-7 playing a similar schedule to Syracuse. They beat Syracuse, but could end up behind them in the Big East standings after tomorrow if Syracuse beats Pittsburgh. This is his second year and they are going to miss a bowl game for the first time in 7 years! I wonder if USF fans are griping about his "ceiling" and how he only won last year because of Leavitt's seniors.

What about Butch Jones? Is he a good coach? Last year Cincinnati was awful with the best QB in the league (Collaros), and a young defense. This year, they have a more experienced defense and have played much better. If Collaros hadn't been injured, they would likely be heading to the BCS game this year.

Clearly, there are weaknesses on this team, but they were in every single game this year (excluding maybe USC). The only "complete" game they played so far this year when all 3 phases were firing on all cylinders was against West Virginia. In hindsight, I think that game is prompting much of this angst. It showed everyone the possibilities, and then the team came back down to earth afterwards and hasn't recovered.
Good points, but I expect USF fans aren't that happy either.
Yes -- looked like Butch Jones was a good coach against us. Took his 2nd and 3rd Qbs and found ways to beat us. His specials did a great job; our specials -- well, you know.
The real issue here is whether Marrone is improving the offense by his recruiting. We have Anselmo's recruits who played for him at Nassau CC (Tiller and Hay). We have GROB's recruits at almost all the starting positions, and most of these guys had some impact early in their careers. We have Marrone's recruits in Chilbane and Macky as starters, and some depth guys like West, Wales, Loeb, Smith, Kobena who haven't done much so far. It is a thin resume -- haven't compared what Butch Jones and Skip Holtz have added to their offense, but it would have to be better. Now, this could turn around if Thompson, Broyld, Macfarlane, Hunt, Hale all add some juice to the offense next year.

Good points, but I expect USF fans aren't that happy either.
Yes -- looked like Butch Jones was a good coach against us. Took his 2nd and 3rd Qbs and found ways to beat us. His specials did a great job; our specials -- well, you know.
The real issue here is whether Marrone is improving the offense by his recruiting. We have Anselmo's recruits who played for him at Nassau CC (Tiller and Hay). We have GROB's recruits at almost all the starting positions, and most of these guys had some impact early in their careers. We have Marrone's recruits in Chilbane and Macky as starters, and some depth guys like West, Wales, Loeb, Smith, Kobena who haven't done much so far. It is a thin resume -- haven't compared what Butch Jones and Skip Holtz have added to their offense, but it would have to be better. Now, this could turn around if Thompson, Broyld, Macfarlane, Hunt, Hale all add some juice to the offense next year.

Butch Jones has Brian Kelly's recruits and Brian Kelly had Mark D'Antonio's recruits...pretty good pipeline at Cincy over the last 5-6 years

I think we have differing opinions of being "in" games. We were pretty well owned by Louisville, USF and Cincy. And definitely by USC (though I don't fault us for that).

The worst thing though is that we were also "in" games with URI, Tulane and Toledo, right 'til the end. That's not good.

macky is starter by default-

no way he starts next year,no chance,ill hit the lottery first for 70 million-

and no way this class(11) plays next year-marrone will live or die by what we have watched this season-
thats not good imho

This thread makes me sad. Good lord, talk about a roller coaster - I can't wait for this season to just end and put the fans out of their misery. Anyone who thought the Doug Marrone Project would be at full steam in less than 6-7 years is smoking something and ought puff puff pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom