Schedule Alert: Ohio in 2021 / 2024 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Schedule Alert: Ohio in 2021 / 2024

I agree 100%. MAC schools are less likely to do one-off “buy” games and 2 for 1s anymore.
We did recently announce a single home game against Ohio for 9/10/2022 but Penn State just announced they were taking that game from us.

As mentioned before, I suspect we asked out of this commitment because we do not want to play home games in early September of 2022, as phase 2 of the Dome renovation is scheduled to be completed then. Every extra week thst can be stolen to complete phase 1 (in September of 2020) and phase 2 will be helpful to make the extremely ambitious completion dates SU is committed to.

As an aside, the Ohio schedule graphic linked above says the home game against Ohio will be played on Saturday, August 31st, 2024. The good news is AC should be installed in the Dome by then. The bsd news is thst if this date is real, it would appear there is no tentative plan to have s phase 3 for the renovation, st least not one scheduled to complete in 2024.

They should schedule some of the lower FBS schools from Georgia and Texas for H/H.or 2/1 Georgia St, UTSA, Texas St...etc.

UTSA does H/H's with most P5 schools. The great recruiting and facility dictates they can ask and receive home and home's.

Wohoo! A football game at my alma mater. Will love making the short return trip to Athens. You can't not have fun there. For those considering going, It's a picturesque fun college campus that located on the mighty Hocking river. Its going to feel a little weird going down there and rooting against my Bobcats though...

So does leaving it until the last minute.
Well...in defense of Herm and the scheduling operation. The start date and scope of the Dome renovation kept things impossible to nail down September home dates.

I'm assuming we get another MAC team in 2020...there are 1 or 2 available

So does leaving it until the last minute.
Which was the point of my post. Trying to get a 7th game only 1-3 years out may only provide a few, if any, options. I trust that Herm & John, in consultation with Dino, came up with the best that they could.

Once the stadium renovations are done, recruiting is up, and 8+ wins are the norm that’s we’ll get a more balanced/attractive schedule.

Well...in defense of Herm and the scheduling operation. The start date and scope of the Dome renovation kept things impossible to nail down September home dates.

I'm assuming we get another MAC team in 2020...there are 1 or 2 available
Akron and Western Michigan both have 2 open slots. Toledo has one.

Akron is the easiest for SU fans to get too, and the easiest win. Plus it is located in an arrea we recruit (or at least try to recruit; pickings in Ohio have been slim for a while now).

This is too easy of a non-conference schedule for us. We should be able to bench press more than just the bar in Tommy's senior year and Year 6 of Dino. I expect to be consistently good by then, not in rebuild mode anymore.

Sept. 4 at Ohio
Sept. 11 vs. Rutgers
Sept. 25 vs. Liberty
TBD vs. Albany
This board bitched for YEARS that the OOC schedule was too hard and SU needed to schedule like Rutgers and VaTech. Well - congratulations - here it is in all its glory :vomit:

My concern is that we will have a season where we're ready to make a legitimate playoff run (e.g. Tommy's senior year), but a cupcake non-conference schedule will result in us getting left out of the playoff.

No one is saying we should schedule Bama, but I think it's important to have one legitimate P5 non-conference game to hang your hat on for building a playoff resume.

We can't always count on the ACC being tough -- such as this past season when us and Clemson were the only teams to finish in the Top 25, and the Coastal/FSU/Louisville all underperformed.

This is too easy of a non-conference schedule for us. We should be able to bench press more than just the bar in Tommy's senior year and Year 6 of Dino. I expect to be consistently good by then, not in rebuild mode anymore.

Sept. 4 at Ohio
Sept. 11 vs. Rutgers
Sept. 25 vs. Liberty
TBD vs. Albany
I agree and that is a ton of bad games to sit thru live.

This board bitched for YEARS that the OOC schedule was too hard and SU needed to schedule like Rutgers and VaTech. Well - congratulations - here it is in all its glory :vomit:

It's OK. It's what a lot of other programs do.
I was getting tired of playing too hard an OOC schedule - we had the hardest schedule in the entire country for a couple years there - and only winning 4 to 6 games a year.

Now that we are on the verge of a return to our best "normal", I think we need to keep playing a soft OOC schedule for a couple more years. In our division alone, we have Clemson, Florida State and Louisville. A couple of them may have been down last year, but on average, that's probably the toughest division in college football, or at least top 3.

Once we get 8-9+ wins next year, and then 10+ the year after, THEN we can talk about having ONE (but only one) premium P5 OOC game again. The rest should always be 3 cupcakes. That's how Alabama and other power teams schedule - 1 premium OOC game. We shouldn't have a harder schedule than Alabama.

There has to be a happy medium.

It's OK. It's what a lot of other programs do.
I was getting tired of playing too hard an OOC schedule - we had the hardest schedule in the entire country for a couple years there - and only winning 4 to 6 games a year.

Now that we are on the verge of a return to our best "normal", I think we need to keep playing a soft OOC schedule for a couple more years. In our division alone, we have Clemson, Florida State and Louisville. A couple of them may have been down last year, but on average, that's probably the toughest division in college football, or at least top 3.

Once we get 8-9+ wins next year, and then 10+ the year after, THEN we can talk about having ONE (but only one) premium P5 OOC game again. The rest should always be 3 cupcakes. That's how Alabama and other power teams schedule - 1 premium OOC game. We shouldn't have a harder schedule than Alabama.

This is probably the best summation of the situation I've seen.

we had the hardest schedule in the entire country for a couple years there - and only winning 4 to 6 games a year.

Which seasons specifically are you referring to here?

Which seasons specifically are you referring to here?

Different sites calculate SOS differently but ones I’ve seen generally has SU between the 30’s and 60’s since joining the ACC.

As a side note, I saw some data someplace that showed in the last 15 years only FSU in 2013 had a SOS outside of the top 10 and theirs was in the teens.

Different sites calculate SOS differently but ones I’ve seen generally has SU between the 30’s and 60’s since joining the ACC.

As a side note, I saw some data someplace that showed in the last 15 years only FSU in 2013 had a SOS outside of the top 10 and theirs was in the teens.

Yeah I saw the same thing. Per Sagarin, we played the 8th toughest schedule in 2016 and 2017, and then 61st last year and then most other years we're near the median. I was genuinely curious what rating system Matt saw that listed us as #1 difficulty multiple years.

Yeah I saw the same thing. Per Sagarin, we played the 8th toughest schedule in 2016 and 2017, and then 61st last year and then most other years we're near the median. I was genuinely curious what rating system Matt saw that listed us as #1 difficulty multiple years.

Another site, teamrankings, had our SOS for 2016 and 2017 in the 30’s.

If the playoffs expand to 8 making the conference champ an auto-qualifier, then that opens the door to schedule more competitively OOC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom