Schedule Alert: Ohio in 2021 / 2024 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Schedule Alert: Ohio in 2021 / 2024

this is perfect . if and when we can consistently win 8 -12 games we can think about adding a 1 off like those kickoff neutral site games espn puts together

ACC Network strategy of televising conference games every week of the season will make scheduling OOC even more complex going forward. I assume all teams will need to black out September dates, traditionally reserved for OOC for conference games. That being said there is still a possibility that we will have 7 home games in 2020, we already have seven for 2021 and I would expect seven to be the norm following the completion of major renovations.

Yeah I saw the same thing. Per Sagarin, we played the 8th toughest schedule in 2016 and 2017, and then 61st last year and then most other years we're near the median. I was genuinely curious what rating system Matt saw that listed us as #1 difficulty multiple years.

I saw it mentioned in articles on ESPN or Sports Illustrated, outlets like that. Perhaps it was exaggeration by the author, but it was probably those 2 seasons.

These articles were preseason articles, when people are saying "Syracuse is going to play 9 bowl teams from last year", projecting it to be the toughest schedule on paper before the season began. Of course once computer metrics get involved, the rating is different.

I saw it mentioned in articles on ESPN or Sports Illustrated, outlets like that. Perhaps it was exaggeration by the author, but it was probably those 2 seasons.
Phil Steele had out schedules preseason rated several times up very high.

ACC Network strategy of televising conference games every week of the season will make scheduling OOC even more complex going forward. I assume all teams will need to black out September dates, traditionally reserved for OOC for conference games. That being said there is still a possibility that we will have 7 home games in 2020, we already have seven for 2021 and I would expect seven to be the norm following the completion of major renovations.

Definitely have 7 home in 2021. 2020 will be 5 or 6 depending on that first game and the dome reno.

Definitely have 7 home in 2021. 2020 will be 5 or 6 depending on that first game and the dome reno.

2020 is Liberty plus 4 ACC plus assumed FCS as definite home games, right? Question is whether the other non-P5 OOC is home or away. I wondered if they were waiting for the final construction proposal to be accepted and the GC's plan to be reviewed before determining how early they could schedule that game as a home game.

honestly if we are that tight a schedule that we need to worry about a week or 2 in 2020 being available we are just as likely we dont play ACC home games in OCT. I know we want to cut it close but they better be hoping they are done with major stuff by july so that august can be the window dressing stuff that you could live without in sept.

Ha. I've never seen that video. Thanks Mark.

Some nice green scenery for sure. For some juxtaposition I'm thinking they should splice in some footage of the night life at the end of that. Say... Halloween weekend for example. On the Princeton review party school list, OU previously held the number one spot last in 2011 and third in 2012. Seems OU hasn't made the top 20 in the past few years though which is a little disappointing.
maxresdefault.jpg

Another site, teamrankings, had our SOS for 2016 and 2017 in the 30’s.
Does the strength of schedule change as the season progresses? For example, if your pre-season schedule is ranked #1 in the country with 6 ranked teams on it, and over the course of the season 4 or 5 of those teams don't live up to expectations, does your SOS get re-evaluated and therefore drop?

My concern is that we will have a season where we're ready to make a legitimate playoff run (e.g. Tommy's senior year), but a cupcake non-conference schedule will result in us getting left out of the playoff.

No one is saying we should schedule Bama, but I think it's important to have one legitimate P5 non-conference game to hang your hat on for building a playoff resume.

We can't always count on the ACC being tough -- such as this past season when us and Clemson were the only teams to finish in the Top 25, and the Coastal/FSU/Louisville all underperformed.

Heavy sigh.

As long as we have to go thru Clemson, and 7 (and soon to be 8) other ACC teams, plus another P5 OOC team, then we will NOT be left out of the playoffs if we win all the games.

And if we do NOT win all the games, then it's irrelevant who we played.

So - let's win all the games, and then worry about the playoffs after we do so.

Heavy sigh.

As long as we have to go thru Clemson, and 7 (and soon to be 8) other ACC teams, plus another P5 OOC team, then we will NOT be left out of the playoffs if we win all the games.

And if we do NOT win all the games, then it's irrelevant who we played.

So - let's win all the games, and then worry about the playoffs after we do so.

Even elite teams can stumble once in conference, and then suddenly our margin for error is gone if our non-conference schedule is similar to Washington State's this year. We are doing ourselves a disservice by playing a schedule that's artificially weak when we could handle more.

And then there's just the fundamental idea of entertainment. There's an entire thread reminiscing about our 1991 beatdown of Florida. Playing and beating new out-of-conference opponents is what makes college football great as a sport. There's a lot of traditional brand names who would fill the Dome up, but who we would be favored against at home: Nebraska, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Iowa, etc. Playing one of them along with two mid-range MAC teams and an FCS is a perfect non-conference schedule.

I feel like our fanbase has been so beaten down and emasculated from bad football for so long that we've forgotten what it's like to have confidence and swagger. We are good now!

It will be 6, we haven't scheduled the 1AA team yet.

Does the strength of schedule change as the season progresses? For example, if your pre-season schedule is ranked #1 in the country with 6 ranked teams on it, and over the course of the season 4 or 5 of those teams don't live up to expectations, does your SOS get re-evaluated and therefore drop?

Yes it does. The numbers I quoted were after the season.

It will be 6, we haven't scheduled the 1AA team yet.

I hope so. I only mention 5 home games in case we don’t think the dome will be available that 9/5 opener.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom