Schiano being Schiano | Syracusefan.com

Schiano being Schiano

Frozen

2022 Cali Winner (Rushing Yards)
I don't recall Greg Schiano being offered a job at Michigan or Alabama, but I guess he remembers it differently. From a Grantland story on former Rutgers WR coach and current Western Michigan head coach, PJ Fleck:

I sat with Greg Schiano, and I heard him tell his stories. "I got offered Michigan, I got offered Alabama." Stayed at Rutgers. Isn't that amazing? I never thought he'd leave, but there was always an NFL itch for him.

Grantland

Heard the rumors about Michigan. Heard that he made it as far as a limo ride to the airport before telling the driver to turnaround cause he decided he wanted to finish what he started at Rutgers. This was supposedly after RRod and Grob got nixed. Bama though? Maybe as DC or something but it seems unlikely they would pick him up as the HC.

In a convoluted way it's like when a recruit chooses another school over Rutgers and then you find out he didn't have a commitable offer anyway. Or Tom O'Brien releasing a statement that he is taking himself out of the running for (fill in blank) coaching vacancy.

Heard the rumors about Michigan. Heard that he made it as far as a limo ride to the airport before telling the driver to turnaround cause he decided he wanted to finish what he started at Rutgers. This was supposedly after RRod and Grob got nixed. Bama though? Maybe as DC or something but it seems unlikely they would pick him up as the HC.
Far be it from me to defend GS or anything RU-related, but I don't interpret the quote as a factual statement - seems like Fleck is just paraphrasing what could have been several schools that Schiano mentioned over a few conversations.

I turned down Alabama and Michigan too. I sent both a letter saying I would never coach their teams and I wouldn't!

I got offered Michigan too -- but they wanted me to use my own car for pizza deliveries to all the fat B1G fans.

Can you just imagine Michigan with f a M i l y on the sides of their helmets?

the fascination with Rutgers and Schiano on this board I will never understand

It's not Rutgirls or Schiano, per se. It's state schools syphoning public money to satisfy comically egotistical fans, and coaches who see themselves as the center of the sports universe (but are really garden-variety tools).

It's not Rutgirls or Schiano, per se. It's state schools syphoning public money to satisfy comically egotistical fans, and coaches who see themselves as the center of the sports universe (but are really garden-variety tools).

and yet the only one that is ever mentioned on this site is Rutgers. At some point its time to move on and get over it. Different conference and the coach is in the NFL. Whatever mini-feud there was is officially over!

and yet the only one that is ever mentioned on this site is Rutgers. At some point its time to move on and get over it. Different conference and the coach is in the NFL. Whatever mini-feud there was is officially over!

You want a fan base full of Irish, Italians, Germans and Jews to get over it?

I've seen plenty of mentions of UCONN, WVU, and BC. If you want people to forget about someone because they're gone, that would eliminate a lot of Marrone posting as well.

I've seen plenty of mentions of UCONN, WVU, and BC. If you want people to forget about someone because they're gone, that would eliminate a lot of Marrone posting as well.
We'll be playing BC and Doug is an alum.

Point taken (but it's still fun to pick on Schiano once in a while ... because he keeps acting like a tool).