Scholarships staff will use for 18 class? | Syracusefan.com

Scholarships staff will use for 18 class?

Jrock6986

Walk On
How many scholarships will the staff fill in the 18 class? I've been seeing mixed reports. I'm presuming it will be 4. (Thorpe, 1 back from sanctions, Battle, and TT).

Also with Battle and TT underclassmen and still eligibility after this year does Cuse wait till spring after they declare for draft to fill their spots?

I only see 2 definite spots as of right now and as a fan I would hate to see Cuse lose out on a guy bc there isn't room today but will be room come April.

How many scholarships will the staff fill in the 18 class? I've been seeing mixed reports. I'm presuming it will be 4. (Thorpe, 1 back from sanctions, Battle, and TT).
I don't mean to threadjack, but I've seen this a few times and I don't totally get it: why are people assuming TT will be gone? He doesn't really seem to be anywhere near the NBA radar yet; while he could take a big step this year, it's not like he's displayed the elite skills/athleticism/potential where you'd assume he's gone.

I know that there was a bunch of drama in his recruitment, and it seems like there are...agitating influences from certain family members. Plus he apparently hasn't been at school practicing with the team this summer. Are people assuming he's just going to transfer? Head overseas? Or do people think he's way closer to the NBA than I do?

I only see 2 definite spots as of right now and as a fan I would hate to see Cuse lose out on a guy bc there isn't room today but will be room come April.
I hear you, though this is a balancing act that pretty much every school has to manage to some degree.

We get 1 back, we get 1 for Thorpe, we get 1 when Battle goes NBA. After that one of Thompson, Chukwu, Howard, Dolezaj, Brissett will move on somewhere. We are recruiting for 4 ships and taking Buddy as a walk on. If multiple unplanned players leave we may add a fith ship player late. It's pretty easy math and common sense really.

We will add a guard and big then sit and wait.

Last edited:
We get 1 back, we get 1 for Thorpe, we get 1 when Battle goes NBA. After that one of Thompson, Chukwu, Howard, Dolezaj, Brissett will move on somewhere. We are recruiting for 4 ships and taking Buddy as a walk on. If multiple unplanned players leave we may add a fit ship player late. It's pretty easy math and common sense really.

We will add a guard and big then sit and wait.

Bazley
Carey
Carrigan
L.King
Buddy

That would be the best Christmas morning ever.

Also Chukwu is another unknown guy. If he struggles again with injuries or play, he could possibly depart.

I don't know much about recruiting, but one thing I've learned from watching over the years is that the big time programs always find ways to make room for talented players. it's not always pretty, but where there is a will there's a way

I don't mean to threadjack, but I've seen this a few times and I don't totally get it: why are people assuming TT will be gone? He doesn't really seem to be anywhere near the NBA radar yet; while he could take a big step this year, it's not like he's displayed the elite skills/athleticism/potential where you'd assume he's gone.

I know that there was a bunch of drama in his recruitment, and it seems like there are...agitating influences from certain family members. Plus he apparently hasn't been at school practicing with the team this summer. Are people assuming he's just going to transfer? Head overseas? Or do people think he's way closer to the NBA than I do?

I don't think anybody ASSUMES that TT will be gone -- but there was some information discussed earlier this summer [some of which you reference] that suggested that he isn't at summer session because he clashes with JB, and due to that intends to make the jump after this year, etc. I doubt anybody can vouch for the validity of these claims, but that's probably why some discuss the possibility of him not being back next year.

I don't think anybody ASSUMES that TT will be gone -- but there was some information discussed earlier this summer [some of which you reference] that suggested that he isn't at summer session because he clashes with JB, and due to that intends to make the jump after this year, etc. I doubt anybody can vouch for the validity of these claims, but that's probably why some discuss the possibility of him not being back next year.

An ok-shooting PF with average athleticism, who doesn't play a lick of D, and clashes w/ his HOF coach -
what NBA franchise wouldn't want some of that?? :rolleyes:

An ok-shooting PF with average athleticism, who doesn't play a lick of D, and clashes w/ his HOF coach -
what NBA franchise wouldn't want some of that?? :rolleyes:

Ha ha! No doubt, TT was highly deficient in some areas. For all of his offensive capabilities -- highly developed outside shot extending out to three point line, ability to face up and drive, being able to finish inside with either hand, etc. he was below average as a rebounder for a 6-10 player and incredibly poor defensively. You're a liability if you can put up 18 but give up 25.

I'm not going to crucify him for being bad defensively as a frosh -- lots of freshman bigs are. But he'll have to do a much, much better job on D this year [improved strength would help], and improve his rebounding to at least average to garner any NBA attention. Bigs who can shoot are the way that the game is evolving.

IF he does those things--no guarantee on either front--and spent the off-season improving his physique and explosiveness, then maybe he'd have a shot. Big "Ifs," however, especially if REPORTS* about his attitude toward the program are accurate.

*And just to be clear, not suggesting those reports are valid. Would love to see him have a big year. Would hate to see the kid throw away such a good opportunity, after he went through so much to get here in the first place.

Last edited:

The person who says he's gone also said Marek is a more athletic Keith Van Horn.

I just really hope that if TT is upset with being here that it doesn't ruin the team. If he is, and isn't a team player then next man up. That said, I have no clue on his mindset. Just wish we could have a year with great team chemistry like the Scoop, Rick, AO, Andy, Wes, Kris type days. And that no one uses this year as their audition. You can show your skills just fine while being a team first guy.

I just really hope that if TT is upset with being here that it doesn't ruin the team. If he is, and isn't a team player then next man up. That said, I have no clue on his mindset. Just wish we could have a year with great team chemistry like the Scoop, Rick, AO, Andy, Wes, Kris type days. And that no one uses this year as their audition. You can show your skills just fine while being a team first guy.

Especially with FH's history having another poor attitude with TT could/would be devastating.

Especially with FH's history having another poor attitude with TT could/would be devastating.
Do we know where these reports are coming from? Or is it just rumor because he chose to workout/practice elsewhere in the offseason?

I just remember him being a pretty noticeable cheerleader at times from the bench and then his comments that he was going to work his butt off to improve his defense to make sure JB couldn't pull him next year.

Just wondering if anyone has the inside info.

Do we know where these reports are coming from? Or is it just rumor because he chose to workout/practice elsewhere in the offseason?

I just remember him being a pretty noticeable cheerleader at times from the bench and then his comments that he was going to work his butt off to improve his defense to make sure JB couldn't pull him next year.

Just wondering if anyone has the inside info.

I personally don't know, but have heard rumblings around here.