Scholarships | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Scholarships

Some of you really have zero clue who Buddy has produced against and are basing opinion based on scouting services.

Exactly - and JB had Jimmy Jr that he could have recruited that's now playing at Cornell, so it seems like that puts down the theory that Buddy was only recruited because he is his son.

I think this is an incredibly stupid debate. Buddy could have been a top-10 recruit and he still would have had an oddly short list of schools because no one is going to work too hard to recruit another coach's son. Sure there would be an odd couple of ducks, like Few and Gonzaga, just for someone to be there other than Syracuse. I wonder how many coach's kids went somewhere (similar) other than where their Dad was coaching. I bet it's close to 0.0% I have no doubt that Buddy is a D1 high major player. He wouldn't be at Syracuse otherwise; JAB is nice to his kids, but he's not blowing smoke.

Some of you really have zero clue who Buddy has produced against and are basing opinion based on scouting services.
I don't think anybody is questioning Buddy's ability here. For me, all I've said is he doesn't have to count against the scholarship total and that we don't have enough players, and people started talking about not underestimating his potential impact.

Isn't the point of this thread discussing how we will fill all the open scholarships?

I don't think anybody is questioning Buddy's ability here. For me, all I've said is he doesn't have to count against the scholarship total and that we don't have enough players, and people started talking about not underestimating his potential impact.

Isn't the point of this thread discussing how we will fill all the open scholarships?

Yes.

I mean one poster said he's a 3 star that's a walk on so he wouldn't get a scholarship if he wasn't the coaches son. Another person asked if he was worthy of a scholarship. I mean either some people live under a rock and haven't read any of the 20 articles they have had about his recruitment since last year on syracuse.com/cbs/espn, followed his EYBL stats that were better than guys like Joe Girard, or are just plain looking at scouting services rankings that can often times be wrong.

Yes.

I mean one poster said he's a 3 star that's a walk on so he wouldn't get a scholarship if he wasn't the coaches son. Another person asked if he was worthy of a scholarship. I mean either some people live under a rock and haven't read any of the 20 articles they have had about his recruitment since last year on syracuse.com/cbs/espn, followed his EYBL stats that were better than guys like Joe Girard, or are just plain looking at scouting services rankings that can often times be wrong.

I just asked because I didn't know.

I just asked because I didn't know.

All good. I figured you would know as you are usually in the know with local sports.

There was another poster who had to input his predictable comment.

10 is optimal. You get to practice 5-5 with no walk-ons. You get competition for spots. You can deal with a couple of injuries and foul trouble. less that that you are getting a little too thin. More than that and you have guys grumbling at the end of the bench. If Battle comes back, we have 10 guys. If he doesn't we have several guys who can play his position and could really use another big, either a third center that might allow Sidibie to play some forward, (if his knees are finally OK), or a third forward. I think we lost Golden because he wanted to start. A project like Braswell might be the ticket.

It's precisely what Jay Bilas commented on relative to the sanctions when they were announced against SU. The 3 annual reduction of schollies he believed would not have much of an impact because of same, and the fact that traditionally and historically JB's comfort zone when it comes to guys playing "meaningful minutes" is about 7, give or take. Now, that was on the premise that the issue of utmost importance was roster management and landing the recruits SU highly valued. Had that been the case the past few years, the sanctions would've been a relatively minor hiccup and the not the overwhelming burden that some here think the proximate cause of our ACC and overall mediocrity has been.

Last edited:
All good. I figured you would know as you are usually in the know with local sports.

There was another poster who had to input his predictable comment.

I don't follow recruiting that much. it's important but I defer to others on that subject. I've had opinions in the past about recruits but they are usually wrong. I prefer to see them in orange before really judging them.

It's precisely what Jay Bilas commented on relative to the sanctions when they were announced against SU. The 3 annual reduction of schollies he believed would not have much of an impact because of same, and the fact that traditionally and historically JB's comfort zone when it comes to guys playing "meaningful minutes" is about 7, give or take. Now, that was on the premise that the issue of utmost importance was roster management and landing the recruits SU highly valued. Had that been the case the past few years, the sanctions would've been a relatively minor hiccup and the not the overwhelming burden that some here think the proximate cause of our ACC and overall mediocrity has been.
you're focusing on the wrong aspect of the sanctions; the restrictions on recruiting were onerous & inflicted the damage they were intended to inflict

I would say he should absolutely be put in the category of a recruited scholarship player, time will prove whether he belonged there. But, I don't see anyway (barring a major injury) that he has a lower career trajectory than I expect from HW.
Buddy more then held his own in EYBL

not sure anyone's saying buddy is not scholarship caliber. the point made was JB is faculty and a multimillionaire and buddy could walk on easily without financial hardship and not tie up a schollie we could use on another player. get it yet ?

not sure anyone's saying buddy is not scholarship caliber. the point made was JB is faculty and a multimillionaire and buddy could walk on easily without financial hardship and not tie up a schollie we could use on another player. get it yet ?

We don’t need the scholie.

we suddenly don't need players now after years of crying about sanctions ?

We don’t need 13 or even 12 scholie players. Rarely give 13 and will never play that many. Buddy will get a scholie. We have 12 to give this year. We aren’t getting to 12.

you're focusing on the wrong aspect of the sanctions; the restrictions on recruiting were onerous & inflicted the damage they were intended to inflict

And you are always walking on eggshells after a probation. You don't want to do anything that might be questioned at all. Families may avoid you because of your soiled reputation, or because in the wake of your soiled reputation they know they aren't getting any special deals from you). The impact of the first probation back in the 90's lasted for years. if Moten hadn't bene a sleeper and John Wallace hadn't grown up in the area as an SU fan that would be more apparent.

Buddy still counts as a player who could play as part of the first ten. other scholarship players could be at the end of the bench, griping over it. Boeheim has said on his show he doesn't want that and that's why he doesn't like to use all his schollies. I think maybe he should be willing to over-recruit given all the players we have lost in recent years but i don't know that he's changed his position on this.

so let buddy walk on and burn that schollie on any 6'10 grad transfer with post experience. given that we lost BAZ and the others seem to battle constant issues. do think think there is a certain "stigma" being labeled a "walk-on" ? or do you believe buddy needs free meals , education and lodging for the next 4 years ?

so let buddy walk on and burn that schollie on any 6'10 grad transfer with post experience. given that we lost BAZ and the others seem to battle constant issues. do think think there is a certain "stigma" being labeled a "walk-on" ? or do you believe buddy needs free meals , education and lodging for the next 4 years ?

We can still do that. We have 3 available still this year. We aren’t bringing in 3 guys.

jim boeheim was a walk on. trajon langdon ,andre drummond, scottie pippen , jeff hornacek all walk ons. no shame there.

We don’t need 13 or even 12 scholie players. Rarely give 13 and will never play that many. Buddy will get a scholie. We have 12 to give this year. We aren’t getting to 12.

Personally I'd rather see it go to one of the walk-ons who can use the full value and have been with the program multiple years. A Belbey or a Featherston. Buddy's tuition is free and JB can certainly swing R&B.

Personally I'd rather see it go to one of the walk-ons who can use the full value and have been with the program multiple years. A Belbey or a Featherston. Buddy's tuition is free and JB can certainly swing R&B.

I don’t have any problem with that. It’s a different take than the ones thinking we need a scholie so we can bring in 4 more players this year.

I don’t have any problem with that. It’s a different take than the ones thinking we need a scholie so we can bring in 4 more players this year.
Guess that's just another thing that really burnt me about the sanctions. The perfect storm of events (Thompson, Thorpe, injuries) did leave our roster short but the scholarships that we were prohibited from using likely would have been used as rewards to walk-ons for their service to the program. So someone inserts a footnote in a paper for Fab Melo and Braedon Bayer is denied a $60,000 scholarship (yes, I know he got a partial when Thorpe bolted.) That'll teach 'em NCAA!

Wasn't it a recent strategy to book an academically inclined player or 2 to boost the team GPA to prevent the team from being Proposition Whatevered?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom