Scoop quote | Syracusefan.com

Scoop quote

cspades99

2nd String
“We watched that film for one hour straight,’’ senior Scoop Jardine said. “We gave them that game. No disrespect to Notre Dame, but if we played them again, we’d win by 20.’’

----

He's absolutely right. I said it all during the game: replay this game another 9 times and SU wins all 9. Had nothing to do with Fab. All about sorry effort and missed bunnies. And ND watching the tape would come to the same conclusion.

This team is really going to miss Scoop next year.

We're not quite good enough to think we could beat ND 9 straight...or even 1 straight. That stall ball/Vermont type game is our kryptonite.

“We watched that film for one hour straight,’’ senior Scoop Jardine said. “We gave them that game. No disrespect to Notre Dame, but if we played them again, we’d win by 20.’’

----

He's absolutely right. I said it all during the game: replay this game another 9 times and SU wins all 9. Had nothing to do with Fab. All about sorry effort and missed bunnies. And ND watching the tape would come to the same conclusion.

This team is really going to miss Scoop next year.
I hope they get the chance in NYC. Can't stand that being the only loss so far, ND is just not very good. What a stinker of a game, and Fab's absence is no excuse. They showed that last night.

We're not quite good enough to think we could beat ND 9 straight...or even 1 straight. That stall ball/Vermont type game is our kryptonite.

I understand what you're saying, but the number of fluke shots ND hit simply isn't sustainable over an extended series of games.

Yes, but they're bad enough that we could be certain that they won't go 20/40 from the field again in a nine-game span.

Our kryptonite is missing shots. We have not been shooting the ball well over the last few games and players have lost intensity/going through the motions. We have been having our annual mid-season slump. The difference is that this year compared to past years is that we are able to slump and not loose games due to our talent and depth. Add to that the BE is having a down year. I would still argue we have the best conference top to bottom in the nation and way better than the SEC; just saying. The biggest thing missing, over the last few games, is the killer instinct to finish teams and players getting to "cute" with what we are doing. What we saw last night in the second half is SU bball. Dribble drive and get to the rim. We have not done that the last 4-5 games and have been settling for long jump shots. If we ran the second half O that we ran last night in the first half of the UC and at ND, we would not be discussing this. The dribble drive gets our D going, opens up the longer open jump shots that extend leads, opens up dump downs for the big guy's, frustrates other teams, tires other teams, gets other teams in foul trouble.

We played like zombies and they played the best game/or will play at any part of this season. At the tip of the game, it looked as if we were having a walk through scrimmage. That was not the #1 team in the nation that stepped out in orange on sat, it was probably like the 7/8/9 best team in the BE. I hope that we do get them in the BET. ND just got us on the right night and made their shots.

Last night the ESPN crew was discussing the "stall O" and they said that it works for so long until you have to start coming back from behind. They mentioned that it is not a "great" O to be chunking up 3's at the end of the shot clock every time down the court and that ND was hot Sat night. The also mentioned the fact that there were multiple trips down the court that they did not hit "good shots" but they went in and that is all that mattered. End of story.

In both the ND and Cincy games, a good number of the shots they were hitting in bunches are shots I'm happy to see another team take.

35 footers that aren't stepped into aren't going most of the time.

I understand what you're saying, but the number of fluke shots ND hit simply isn't sustainable over an extended series of games.

Why is that when any team hits open shots against us, they must be flukes?

26-29 foot jumpers are fluke shots. The average shooting percent from 3 point is maybe 33-34%. Extend that our another 5-6 feet and your talking less than 15% or less.

Three point season .329 SU game .500
FG% season .435 SU game .500

It is outside the norm those season stats include the SU game so are actually lower. I would maybe rephrase it to "being hot" not fluke. Although there was at least one banked 3 which I would consider a fluke anytime any place even if we are the ones to hit it.

Simply looking at the sets of shots as they were taken. Bank 3's. 8 feet behind the line. No step in. Hands in faces. The number of looks that one might consider "good" doesn't equate to the number of makes considering even "good" looks are only going in 40% of the time.

Marquette's comeback wasn't a fluke (that I remember), for instance.

a lot of things have to go right for stall ball to work, most teams we play try it, and judging by our record it doesn't work for most of them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom