"Score the Basketball" | Syracusefan.com

"Score the Basketball"

Janner

Starter
Somewhat OT, but am I the only person who hates this phrase?? "Player X can really score the basketball"... as opposed to scoring the what?? Im watching basketball, I think I know what they are referencing when they say a player has the ability to score. Ok rant over, Go Orange!

Somewhat OT, but am I the only person who hates this phrase?? "Player X can really score the basketball"... as opposed to scoring the what?? Im watching basketball, I think I know what they are referencing when they say a player has the ability to score. Ok rant over, Go Orange!

Oh that drives me crazy. I notice it in golf a lot. He hit the golf ball, that was quite a golf shot- uh yeah we know what sport it is.

Why not get even more specific? "Player X can really score the basketball through the net."

Well you can't score the basketball without stick-to-it-iveness. Everybody knows that.
That's why you need a glue guy.
giphy.gif

Sometimes you have to "dribble drive" to score the basketball. The other drives often are called walks.

Score the basketball isnt even grammatically correct. You dont "score the basketball" you score "points" via putting the ball in the basket. The basketball is not a point. Its an object used to create points.

You never hear someone talk about scoring the football.

Score the basketball isnt even grammatically correct. You dont "score the basketball" you score "points" via putting the ball in the basket. The basketball is not a point. Its an object used to create points.

You never hear someone talk about scoring the football.

Just curious while we're talking about scoring and grammar: Are Beavis and Butthead grammatically correct when they talk about scoring?

Actually this video is a fairly fitting description of the SU offense at times this season!!!! My favorite part was when the old guy replies to Beavis! It's how I imagine some of you! ;)

Just curious while we're talking about scoring and grammar: Are Beavis and Butthead grammatically correct when they talk about scoring?

Actually this video is a fairly fitting description of the SU offense at times this season!!!! My favorite part was when the old guy replies to Beavis! It's how I imagine some of you! ;)

That dude is my idol.

Mechanical, glue guy, and when white guys are only compared to white guys bug me the most.

Mechanical, glue guy, and when white guys are only compared to white guys bug me the most.

Haha. Totally.

Yesterday black jay williams compared white grayson allen to white jay williams. Wrong. Wrong. And wrong.

It confused me bc usually they use the white guy comparison for shooters.
I can't even see a basketball comparison. One an overzealous, physical slasher-tripper. The other, a pass first point guard who was one of the craftiest ball-handlers of his time.

I also remember when one commentator compared a dark skinned muscular but short shooting guard to shawn kemp after he dunked.

I can't remember when "score the basketball" replaced "score", "run out" replaced "fast break", a "screen" replaced a "pick", and "block out" replaced "box out".

What other kind of "drive" is there other than a "dribble drive"? A "pass drive"? A "shoot drive"?

A "Euro step"? Umm, a travel.

Whatever.

Dudes usually do the best job of scoring the basketball.

Or so I'm told.

I can't remember when "score the basketball" replaced "score", "run out" replaced "fast break", a "screen" replaced a "pick", and "block out" replaced "box out".

What other kind of "drive" is there other than a "dribble drive"? A "pass drive"? A "shoot drive"?

A "Euro step"? Umm, a travel.

Whatever.

Nailed it.

This doesn't remind me all that much of the SU offense recently because although we dont score, I never really felt like we were going to score.

My favorite is when they say "he reminds me of a young So and so"

Did they really have to throw in the word young? Did we really think they were stating that some freshman reminds them of some 75 year old dude walking around in a nursing home?

That dude is my idol.

I like the episode when Beavis and Butthead are in their gym cloths sitting at the 50 yard line on the football field and javelin flies in out of nowhere and lands squarely in Beavis's hand. That one cracked me up for some reason.

That one and the one when Butthead tells Beavis to give his cookie dough back by saying, "Let go of my wad man."

It's like saying scorers score. We have missed our share of layups because a lot of times we do not keep our eyes fixed on the rim. Happens quite a bit in traffic. When totaly focused and on, SU is a beast.

'Defense' as a verb.

It's more prevalent in football, but I've heard a couple idiot basketball broadcasters say this in recent years. This is worse than all the stupid cliches - it really serves to announce to the viewership that the broadcaster has no grasp of the English language.