Scott Shafer fit the 'new guy' stereotype at ACC Football Kickoff | Syracusefan.com

Scott Shafer fit the 'new guy' stereotype at ACC Football Kickoff

I try to lay off the Post Standard bashing but I thought this article was truly awful

So Shafer was in the state of NC and stuck talking to a few rookie reporters from Syracuse and not really anyone else. I think mr. Cohen might be reaching for a story here, and in my opinion he did a terrible job. Bottom line is Shafer was at the end of a long couple of days and he gets stuck spending an hour with a bunch of guys he can meet in his offic anytime he wants

I try to lay off the Post Standard bashing but I thought this article was truly awful
Ever since Donnie, then Dave Rahme stopped covering SU football the complaints about the articles have been rampant. The new guys have added a lot of recruiting news but a lot of their work has been criticized like we've never seen before. It's unfortunate as the Post Standard won many awards for the their sports coverage in the past.

Cohen just lost me with this article. He is negative in almost every article he writes. His subject matter is odd at best and his writing style pedestrian. I realize that the Post is on its last leg but cant they find someone that has better talent than him?

I just don't like his writing style. Everything comes off as negative. Not an enjoyable article at all.

Ever since Donnie, then Dave Rahme stopped covering SU football the complaints about the articles have been rampant. The new guys have added a lot of recruiting news but a lot of their work has been criticized like we've never seen before. It's unfortunate as the Post Standard won many awards for the their sports coverage in the past.

I've actually enjoyed and complimented them on the increased recruiting coverage. But I thought this article just had a negative slant for no real reason. Nonetheless, thank you for posting all the links every day. I do appreciate that!

I get it...

Shafer must have dropped his pants in the middle of the room, took a shat while staring and laughing at Dabo Swinney. Yes he is the only hard-nosed coach in the ACC apparently.

Ain't easy being awesome. Get 'em Shaf.

I just will not read Cohen's stories anymore and I hope their advertisers take notice

Sad what has happened. I stopped the paper service months ago. Literally there is no new news in the paper at this point. They cut copy paste the .com articles which suck into the paper.

Brutal.

Cohen just lost me with this article. He is negative in almost every article he writes. His subject matter is odd at best and his writing style pedestrian. I realize that the Post is on its last leg but cant they find someone that has better talent than him?

Short answer is no. The PS is on life support and someone needs to pull the plug. It is kind of sad to watch this slow but steady decline.

I get it...

Shafer must have dropped his pants in the middle of the room, took a shat while staring and laughing at Dabo Swinney. Yes he is the only hard-nosed coach in the ACC apparently.

Ain't easy being awesome. Get 'em Shaf.

I watched the interview with Boston College coach Adazzio, and he also referred to his team winning with "hard-nosed" football, and a lot of strange, dude references.

maybe shafer feels that hes in over his head...and maybe he is.

all hes got is cute speaches that get cnyers all fired up to not rake leaves at least 1x a year.

these guys have track records, hes got a QB still wearing boomer-sooner boxers.

wonder if he asked Cutliffe to get him the Mannings autograph.....
:eek:

:noidea:

Oh Lord

Stoped reading that rag when they got rid of Donnie and Dave.

What a piece of crap article. It's one thing to think of yourself as a recruiting guru (which, if you're reading this Cohen, you're not), but it's quite another to call the brand new head football coach at Syracuse - one that you need to have a relationship with if you want to go anywhere in this town - late, lacking of energy and then negatively compare him to a few of our new rival$.

Pure garbage.

In the comments he talks about being neutral and not positive or negative. Clearly he is failing at this IMO. If he wants to learn how to be neutral try Waters or Donna's articles on the bball team. I find them to be fairly neutral and fair. No complaints from me.

BY FAR THE WORST COHEN PIECE YET. I am continually amazed to watch him sink to new lows. The guy is clearly a clueless kid who thinks he's being edgy or aggressive or whatever. but what he's doing is shooting himself in the foot. First off writing stuff like this basically ensures a bad relationship with the one guy he should be trying hardest to have a good relationship with. Second, no serious publication would ever hire a guy who writes garbage like this - he looks like a loose cannon, someone who is going to find a lawsuit or at the very least anger enough of your subscriber base to cost you money. He doesn't know it...but his employers are using him...and he will be cast to the rubbish bin of writing for some 3rd rate blog (down from the 2nd rate post standard) within a year or two - never to resurface in a respectable publication. I almost feel bad, except he's clearly a smug jerk with an ego larger than his iq - so I don't...but he's definitely being used.

I, too, have held off on the Post-Standard bashing. I found some of their articles to be more than decent and it's a noticeable upgrade from Nolan Weidener. That being said, I sat to read this article this morning and was just confused.

Not only are you directly hammering on the new head coach, but, you had 45 minutes of one-on-one time with him and this is what you and Mink "divided" up for a story. I was honestly saying to myself, what am I reading right now? Even if you're trying to make a point, I don't understand this one. And, the readers you think you're making a point to, mostly want football related info. Don't you agree? I could give two shafts whether or not HCSS is the cool kid in the Holiday Inn lobby.

If we're successful on the field, then the other reporters will take notice. The only thing they've got to report on right now is our inclusion in the ACC, which has been beat to death already.

Odd choice of story.