Scrapping ACC divisions? Syracuse AD says 2020 season could spark discussion | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Scrapping ACC divisions? Syracuse AD says 2020 season could spark discussion

I believe Navy would be the first courtesy ask. But i doubt they would do it.
Paul Johnson was an ex-Navy head coach of GTech who implemented the same system with better athletes than Navy would ever get and had little success there. Navy would get beaten down playing a major conference schedule and would be the doormat of the league.

Paul Johnson was an ex-Navy head coach of GTech who implemented the same system with better athletes than Navy would ever get and had little success there. Navy would get beaten down playing a major conference schedule and would be the doormat of the league.
Yep, they can play p5 teams on occasion and be fine. The wear and tear of a full season would not work. The players are so much smaller on average.

My suspicion is when the dust settles, ND and Vanderbilt are ACC teams. Not sure how it all plays out but it just makes sense for all parties involved. The SEC can go and get another Florida team to round out their conference.
Why would Vanderbilt want to leave the SEC and its big payday? :confused:

I've said for years that Vandy makes the most sense as a 16th school in the ACC. It's a smallish private school with good academics that's a punching bag in the SEC. It has much more in common with SU, Duke, BC, ND, etc., than it has with Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, etc.
Vandy would be a great choice if they would be willing to leave the SEC. That's going to be tough to pull off. If a profile like Vandy is what the ACC decides it wants, Tulane and SMU are more available and these are similar in size to Vandy as well as in the SEC footprint.

I still think the need on the east coast for the ACC is in the Mid-Atlantic where there are WVU, Navy, and Temple.

Big 12 will implode.

Texas to the ACC.

OKLAHOMA! schools to the SEC.

Kansas goes to Big Ten with someone. Could be purple or WVU.

Pac 12 choses 2 of Tech, Baylor, TCU.

Poor ISU won't have a home. I've been to a few games in Ames I like them.

That said I might like Iowa State but they got demolished in Chicago. We went in for second half and they were blown out already by UVA. Should have stayed in the bar for another hour. That was Hoibergs best team there too.

If ND doesn’t stay after this year in football, the ACC should give them the boot and add two teams, say WVU and Cincinnati. Tired of ND playing the conference.
Navy, West Virginia, Cincinnati are the finalists IMO if Notre Dame committed fulltime.

Navy would bring fill the Maryland hole on the map for the ACC. Bring a 6th lacrosse team, their basketball program would get a boost.

West Virginia would bring competitive sports programs and fits geography.

Cincinnati would be West Virginia without the baggage.
WVU also brings its Cletus and Brandine fanbase. No. Thank. You.
If there has to be a 16th, I prefer the Navy/Georgetown hybrid membership that was floating around during the realignment feeding frenzy. Navy for football, Georgetown for everything else. I do like WoadBlue 's 2-6-6 layout, though and stay at 15.

Not sure why division talk went right to expansion talk. Given the dumpster-fire of our economy, the radical changes happening in media, and the immense uncertainty about the future of the college educational system, I wouldn’t expect any conference to have an appetite for the expansion anytime soon. Certainly not to add Navy or West-freakin-Virginia.

As for the topic at hand, abolishing the ACC’s arbitrary divisions and enacting the 3-5-5 schedule model makes all the sense in the world. So of course that means it’ll probably be another decade before it happens.

I'm not sure how being a member of a P5 athletic conference meshes with the Naval Academy mission.

Or the mission of any of the other Service academies, for that matter. I just don't see it happening.
1596291376520.gif

Honestly I love that we play Clemson every year. Outright brawl each time between the teams. I love that.
I look forward to it every season too. It’s always fun to have a chance at a huge upset.

But it’s definitely not a balanced schedule. Especially when you throw typical FSU in the mix

I'm not sure how being a member of a P5 athletic conference meshes with the Naval Academy mission.

Or the mission of any of the other Service academies, for that matter. I just don't see it happening. View attachment 185164
Their football program has competed quite well in the American conference.
Which is the top G6 football conference.

The jump from the American to the ACC wouldn’t be huge.
They may not want it because they recruit Texas a lot and they play Houston/SMU every year. As well Tulane and Memphis.

Which fits their recruiting strategy.

Navy would be a bowl team most years if they kept their coaching staff.

If there has to be a 16th, I prefer the Navy/Georgetown hybrid membership that was floating around during the realignment feeding frenzy. Navy for football, Georgetown for everything else. I do like WoadBlue 's 2-6-6 layout, though and stay at 15.

I'd much prefer WVU as the 16th than that set-up. The logistics of a Navy Georgetown hybrid don't really make a lot of sense. Is the money for ACC basketball, and other sports, better than the Big East pay-out? Does Navy football bring enough to the table to earn a full football share of revenue? Really the only way I could ever see it happening is if Notre Dame is adamant that they would only join based on Navy's addition, as well.

The WVU fan base turns out and supports their team and I personally think the ACC needs some more die-hard fans. I get people have this opinion that they're this hoard of uneducated people but it's honestly exaggerated at this point (it's not at the level it used to be where they lived up to the reputation). It's really not all that different than the portion VT's fan base that never attended the school. It comes with the territory of being the best college football team in any state. Adding any SEC team, outside of Vandy, would bring a similar fan base.

There aren't many programs available that bring enough viewership to justify adding them. Outside of the big games or involving the big teams, people are drawn to watch rivalries. The Backyard Brawl along with re-igniting the rivalry with VT will bring viewers. Even our rivalry with WVU resulted in our bowl game outdrawing a lot of other bowl games in 2018. A bad WVU team last year still drew respectable ratings. A pretty good 2018 WVU had solid ratings that year, even when being stuck on the black hole that seems to be FS1.

WVU lacks the big market and in-state population that is valuable for conference networks but they tend to bring solid viewership and are immediately a competitive team that bring with them some already established rivalries. A ND addition would cover most of that already though so I'd rather avoid adding one of the schools based on potential or their state population numbers only to hope they aren't a doormat, like Rutgers is for the B10. Cincinnati is the only one that makes a bit of sense but they are the back-up plan.

I'd much prefer WVU as the 16th than that set-up. The logistics of a Navy Georgetown hybrid don't really make a lot of sense. Is the money for ACC basketball, and other sports, better than the Big East pay-out? Does Navy football bring enough to the table to earn a full football share of revenue? Really the only way I could ever see it happening is if Notre Dame is adamant that they would only join based on Navy's addition, as well.

The WVU fan base turns out and supports their team and I personally think the ACC needs some more die-hard fans. I get people have this opinion that they're this hoard of uneducated people but it's honestly exaggerated at this point (it's not at the level it used to be where they lived up to the reputation). It's really not all that different than the portion VT's fan base that never attended the school. It comes with the territory of being the best college football team in any state. Adding any SEC team, outside of Vandy, would bring a similar fan base.

There aren't many programs available that bring enough viewership to justify adding them. Outside of the big games or involving the big teams, people are drawn to watch rivalries. The Backyard Brawl along with re-igniting the rivalry with VT will bring viewers. Even our rivalry with WVU resulted in our bowl game outdrawing a lot of other bowl games in 2018. A bad WVU team last year still drew respectable ratings. A pretty good 2018 WVU had solid ratings that year, even when being stuck on the black hole that seems to be FS1.

WVU lacks the big market and in-state population that is valuable for conference networks but they tend to bring solid viewership and are immediately a competitive team that bring with them some already established rivalries. A ND addition would cover most of that already though so I'd rather avoid adding one of the schools based on potential or their state population numbers only to hope they aren't a doormat, like Rutgers is for the B10. Cincinnati is the only one that makes a bit of sense but they are the back-up plan.
The Navy-Georgetown hybrid is based solely on ND's trying to insist on Navy as the 16th team. I'm starting to come around to the idea that they won't insist and we can go 2-6-6 or 4-5-5 with 15 teams.
Little if anything derogatory about the WVU fan base is exaggerated. There are a lot of folks on our board who went to Morgantown the last time we played them there and have vowed never to return after the battery and fluids of varying sorts barrage.

I don’t want to see a hybrid but why not take Nova over Georgetown? Better market and a lot better program. Unless you want GTown cuz they only have 5k fans and most of the ACC will being more fans than that to the arena.

Why the hell would Notre Dame get to pick the 16th team? It's a conference with equal votes.
Its called leverage. Of course the league would have to vote but the reality is ND will pick the 16th member if they decide to join the ACC as a full time member for football.

My suspicion is when the dust settles, ND and Vanderbilt are ACC teams. Not sure how it all plays out but it just makes sense for all parties involved. The SEC can go and get another Florida team to round out their conference.
TRADE NC State for Vandy. SEC/ACC both are ESPN properties.

I don’t want to see a hybrid but why not take Nova over Georgetown? Better market and a lot better program. Unless you want GTown cuz they only have 5k fans and most of the ACC will being more fans than that to the arena.
Nova would work just as well.

Its called leverage. Of course the league would have to vote but the reality is ND will pick the 16th member if they decide to join the ACC as a full time member for football.
So your telling me that Clemson and FSU, who built ACC football into what it is, have to sit back and let Notre Dame make this important decision for the future of the league?

Vandy is a Notre Dame kind of school... much more so than WVU. If, as some here suggest, Notre Dame would have a large say in picking a 16th team, it would not be close between the two schools.

BTW, Vandy almost beat ND the last time they played football ... less than two years ago.
Vanderbilt vs. Notre Dame - Game Summary - September 15, 2018 - ESPN
Add ND, Vandy, and Cincy and subtract NC St for 16 team conference. SEC can add NC St, WVU and OU. BIG add KU and UT. PAC adds KSt, Okie St, Texas Tech and UNLV. MWC adds Iowa St, Baylor, TCU, BYU.

Their football program has competed quite well in the American conference.
Which is the top G6 football conference.

The jump from the American to the ACC wouldn’t be huge.
They may not want it because they recruit Texas a lot and they play Houston/SMU every year. As well Tulane and Memphis.

Which fits their recruiting strategy.

Navy would be a bowl team most years if they kept their coaching staff.
For football? Maybe.

For Olympic sports? Disastrous.

My opinion that a Service academy in a P5 conference is a bad idea which flies in the face of their mission will not change.
1596322034461.gif

This is what the ACC Championship would've been under the non division format since the expansion

2013​
ClemsonFlorida St
2014​
Georgia TechFlorida St
2015​
ClemsonNorth Carolina
2016​
ClemsonLouisville
2017​
ClemsonMiami
2018​
ClemsonSyracuse
2019​
ClemsonVirginia

Missed out on a few good matchups with Dungey vs Lawrence in 2018 and Lamar Jackson vs Deshaun Watson in 2016.