Season saving win but we nearly gave that game away | Syracusefan.com

Season saving win but we nearly gave that game away

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
First off good job by the faceoff crew. Kudos to Desko for watching last years tape on ND and realizing that despite ND being second in the nation that Daddio actually matches up well with there guy. Thought the wings were superb for the first time all year. Daddio was good to but has got to STOP with the bone head mistakes and has to find the ball better. All that said best game of the year for Daddio kudos to him.

Offensively both Staats and Schoonmaker dont appear to be 100% especially Staats, didnt have that extra burst. Thought the offense was good for three quarters but was bad for most of the fourth, the last 10 minutes especially. Two straight possessions late Syracuse didn't even get a shot off and turned it over. We had some good success running and pushing transition, hard to do this year with the huge X issues but I think we need to keep doing that. Thought Maltz finally broke out and played good, needs to finish better on the door step though, left at least another two goals out there. Rice and Donahue both pretty good as always though Donahue had a bad shot late. Loy and Lecky were MIA today, a couple bad shots by Lecky, hes the definition of an enigma. Liked what I saw from Galasso, he needs to play more if his body can hold up. Thought the staff mixed and matched a lot at the mid field lines, no Weston or Evans though which was interesting. Staats played some middie and didnt look comfortable, probably going to need to move him back to attack, would also like to see Galasso on the first mid line bumping Lecky or Loy.

Thought the D played pretty good, a few head shaking decisions by the goalies and again some clearing issues but overall pretty dame good. Harris struggled glad to see Desko pulled the plug real quick. Much better job by the SSDM this game much much better. One thing we have to work is Lamo and Wardwell coming out of the cage and thinking there suddenly a LSM. We get burned on that at least once game, they have to stay in the crease. I would like to see Desko give Wardwell a chance to play the entire game, he clears better and I think is the better overall goalie. That being said Lamo was much better today then last week. Great late save by Wardwell on that diving shot by ND's best player, saved the game.

All in all a great game for Syracuse but we still have yet to put together a complete game. Cant believe Desko didn't call a TO on that last possession, you have to get a shot off there, a turnover there is unforgivable. Big win but we need to be ready for Bingo this coming week, our first non weekend game and they have a really good Faceoff player. Congrats to the team on a big win, need to keep improving though in all facets.

One last shout out to the X guys today, was great to actually have confidence after a ND or SU goal that we could win a draw.

Just to note UNC vs JHU tied at 4, Kennedy absolutely killing UNC at the X.

Great post Jeremy. I enjoy your lacrosse analysis. I enjoy watching the games and watch every time we are on (but I have to admit I turned off the Duke game. Just couldn't take it anymore). But I'm not as much of a lacrosse expert as I am a football and basketball :)

But a great, badly needed win. Almost gave me a heart attack at the end, but I'll take any win to brighten up what has been a disappointing week or so as an Orange fan.

Great post Jeremy. I enjoy your lacrosse analysis. I enjoy watching the games and watch every time we are on (but I have to admit I turned off the Duke game. Just couldn't take it anymore). But I'm not as much of a lacrosse expert as I am a football and basketball :)

But a great, badly needed win. Almost gave me a heart attack at the end, but I'll take any win to brighten up what has been a disappointing week or so as an Orange fan.

Thanks MS. Agreed on the Duke game I had to leave the room for most of the fourth quarter just couldnt take it anymore. Thrilled with todays win but our play in the 4th quarter was a little concerning especially being this late in the season. That being said I thought overall we played a great game just need to clean some things up and we have to play better late as in both this and the ALbany game we nearly gave away two great performances. Looking forward to Wed, really hope the team comes out and plays well, cant afford a loss there.

JeremyCuse said:
Thanks MS. Agreed on the Duke game I had to leave the room for most of the fourth quarter just couldnt take it anymore. Thrilled with todays win but our play in the 4th quarter was a little concerning especially being this late in the season. That being said I thought overall we played a great game just need to clean some things up and we have to play better late as in both this and the ALbany game we nearly gave away two great performances. Looking forward to Wed, really hope the team comes out and plays well, cant afford a loss there.
what do we need to happen to get the 4 spot in acc or are we alresdy in the 5/6 game?

First off good job by the faceoff crew. Kudos to Desko for watching last years tape on ND and realizing that despite ND being second in the nation that Daddio actually matches up well with there guy. Thought the wings were superb for the first time all year. Daddio was good to but has got to STOP with the bone head mistakes and has to find the ball better. All that said best game of the year for Daddio kudos to him.

Offensively both Staats and Schoonmaker dont appear to be 100% especially Staats, didnt have that extra burst. Thought the offense was good for three quarters but was bad for most of the fourth, the last 10 minutes especially. Two straight possessions late Syracuse didn't even get a shot off and turned it over. We had some good success running and pushing transition, hard to do this year with the huge X issues but I think we need to keep doing that. Thought Maltz finally broke out and played good, needs to finish better on the door step though, left at least another two goals out there. Rice and Donahue both pretty good as always though Donahue had a bad shot late. Loy and Lecky were MIA today, a couple bad shots by Lecky, hes the definition of an enigma. Liked what I saw from Galasso, he needs to play more if his body can hold up. Thought the staff mixed and matched a lot at the mid field lines, no Weston or Evans though which was interesting. Staats played some middie and didnt look comfortable, probably going to need to move him back to attack, would also like to see Galasso on the first mid line bumping Lecky or Loy.

Thought the D played pretty good, a few head shaking decisions by the goalies and again some clearing issues but overall pretty dame good. Harris struggled glad to see Desko pulled the plug real quick. Much better job by the SSDM this game much much better. One thing we have to work is Lamo and Wardwell coming out of the cage and thinking there suddenly a LSM. We get burned on that at least once game, they have to stay in the crease. I would like to see Desko give Wardwell a chance to play the entire game, he clears better and I think is the better overall goalie. That being said Lamo was much better today then last week. Great late save by Wardwell on that diving shot by ND's best player, saved the game.

All in all a great game for Syracuse but we still have yet to put together a complete game. Cant believe Desko didn't call a TO on that last possession, you have to get a shot off there, a turnover there is unforgivable. Big win but we need to be ready for Bingo this coming week, our first non weekend game and they have a really good Faceoff player. Congrats to the team on a big win, need to keep improving though in all facets.

One last shout out to the X guys today, was great to actually have confidence after a ND or SU goal that we could win a draw.

Just to note UNC vs JHU tied at 4, Kennedy absolutely killing UNC at the X.

Excellent post.

what do we need to happen to get the 4 spot in acc or are we alresdy in the 5/6 game?

We have an outside shot at the top 4 but its a long shot at best. If Syracuse can beat * Cornell and hold serve versus Hobart, Bingo and Colgate the 5/6 game wont be that bad, we should still get an at large.

Last edited:
... Cant believe Desko didn't call a TO on that last possession, you have to get a shot off there, a turnover there is unforgivable. ...
The announcers mentioned something at the time that if you call a timeout when the timer is on (with more than 10 seconds left) then the timer automatically drops down to 10 seconds when you resume play. Maybe SU was looking to run off a bit more time until calling the t.o.? Also, like the others here, great post - I enjoyed reading it.

The announcers mentioned something at the time that if you call a timeout when the timer is on (with more than 10 seconds left) then the timer automatically drops down to 10 seconds when you resume play. Maybe SU was looking to run off a bit more time until calling the t.o.? Also, like the others here, great post - I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks. Your correct that is the rule. I dont have an issue not calling it once the timer is on but there was plenty of time to call it after we ran about 20-30 seconds off and you knew the timer on was coming. Its one thing to get a decent shot there and miss or have it saved but you cant give up a turnover, nearly cost us the game. Good learning experience at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom