season told in the next 4 games | Syracusefan.com

season told in the next 4 games

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
need to win them and get to 5-4. Tough losses in winnable games but today wasn't an expected W. If we play like this at PITT and GA Tech we will win and be in decent shape at the halfway mark.

3-1 would be OK - will be very tough to win @ gatech, they're playing much better now

BC much improved too, they will come into the Dome thinking Syracuse is down and they can win

BC much improved too, they will come into the Dome thinking Syracuse is down and they can win

They've done it with worse teams while we had better teams.

4-0 would be jaw dropping. 3-1 would be great. No other record would surprise me, outside of 0-4.

In my opinion, we have to go 4-0. Beating Pitt & BC at home does nothing in regards to helping us, especially on how the committee now views home W's vs. road, not to mention beating either one of them in the Dome hardly constitutes any feat. We desperately need to get a couple of wins ON THE ROAD in league play, and really there's no better opportunity than getting a W at GT & Pitt. Other than these two places, I'm not sure where, realistically, we may get a road conference W, other than perhaps at BC at the end of Feb.

Except that it doesn't.

Well, technically, you're correct, but that's probably based upon some wishful thinking too. The February schedule is very difficult. At Louisville, Miami & Duke are probable losses, and home games against UVA and UNC we will certainly be dogs. We should beat Wake at home, but that'll be a struggle as will the road game against BC. The season finale in the Dome against Clemson will be an upward battle as well. Call me half empty, but I don't think we get at/above .500 in the conference when it's all said and done.

Except that it doesn't.

You chiming in is as predictable as townie.

Okay you're right, technically speaking based on the numbers. Then again, the reality is SU could lose every remaining regular season game and it still doesn't mean they can't make the tournament. Weakest 4 game stretch in the ACC schedule is right now. Dug ourselves a nice little hole with a 1-4 start. These next 4 games are very important...can we agree there? Hell, just win 1 for starters. Sure, I would take 3-1, but even that puts us at 4-5 heading into Virginia and Louisville. Sure, maybe this team beats UNC or Duke (plenty of big games left), but I think we really help ourselves taking the next 4 vs having to pull off big wins later down the road against ranked teams.

4-0 would be jaw dropping. 3-1 would be great. No other record would surprise me, outside of 0-4.

Pitt twice, Wake and BC. If we are to have any hope of a post season tournament, we have to run the table on these 4.

There is no debating it, with the ones we've let get away.

You chiming in is as predictable as townie.

Okay you're right, technically speaking based on the numbers. Then again, the reality is SU could lose every remaining regular season game and it still doesn't mean they can't make the tournament. Weakest 4 game stretch in the ACC schedule is right now. Dug ourselves a nice little hole with a 1-4 start. These next 4 games are very important...can we agree there? Hell, just win 1 for starters. Sure, I would take 3-1, but even that puts us at 4-5 heading into Virginia and Louisville. Sure, maybe this team beats UNC or Duke (plenty of big games left), but I think we really help ourselves taking the next 4 vs having to pull off big wins later down the road against ranked teams.
of course we'd help ourselves winning all 4. But putting things in such absolutes is dumb.
and what's more predictable is you beginning your response with an insult

Pitt twice, Wake and BC. If we are to have any hope of a post season tournament, we have to run the table on these 4.

There is no debating it, with the ones we've let get away.

I wasn't debating whether we need all 4, I'd just be floored if we get all 4. 3-1 might not be what we need but it would be great considering the team we have.

of course we'd help ourselves winning all 4. But putting things in such absolutes is dumb.
I can state with certainty that there is an epidemic of absolutism going around this season.

I predict you're more predictable

This team is on pace to play in more must win games than any team in SU basketball history.
We call a lot of these regular season games must win games so that we don't have to call game 1 of the ACC tournament a must win game

We call a lot of these regular season games must win games so that we don't have to call game 1 of the ACC tournament a must win game
Hey, there were people calling some of the non-conference games must-win games this season. Maybe even some of the same people who insist that the regular season in CBB is meaningless now.

We have to win at least 3. Not winning 4 is a loss opportunity which we are running out of. We would have to steal a top 50 win elsewhere to make up for it. So we make it harder for itself but that's not insurmountable.

As the season progresses the more and more 9-9 is almost a sure thing to get in the tourney, and 8-10 is the squarely on the bubble number entering the ACC tourney. At 8-10, our RPI and KenPom niumbers will likely be in the 40's (the KP number assuming we keep our losses to a reasonable margin). The decent KP may be important given that we may have a fairly empty resume with that record.

need to win them and get to 5-4. Tough losses in winnable games but today wasn't an expected W. If we play like this at PITT and GA Tech we will win and be in decent shape at the halfway mark.
I'll still watch but as far as getting an invite and making a run, that ship has sailed. Winning the next four would make no difference.

With our luck, this will be the year we win an ACC tourney game when anything short of an auto bid won't help.

We have to win at least 3. Not winning 4 is a loss opportunity which we are running out of. We would have to steal a top 50 win elsewhere to make up for it. So we make it harder for itself but that's not insurmountable.

As the season progresses the more and more 9-9 is almost a sure thing to get in the tourney, and 8-10 is the squarely on the bubble number entering the ACC tourney. At 8-10, our RPI and KenPom niumbers will likely be in the 40's (the KP number assuming we keep our losses to a reasonable margin). The decent KP may be important given that we may have a fairly empty resume with that record.
you could try to explain this 100 different ways to some around here, even drawing pictures for them, and they won't comprehend. they'll still be like, THAT'S IT SEASON OVER WE'RE 4-5 HALFWAY THROUGH THE ACC SCHEDULE THERE'S NO CHANCE NOW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom