Seasons vs. NIL | Syracusefan.com

Seasons vs. NIL

The Ack

Walk On
Fired up to support on a higher level. Fran Brown is the reason.

Asking for all who want to support.

Where are the discretionary dollars best spent?

Buying Seasons vs. Same Annual value monetary donation to NIL.

Haven't seen it discussed here. Curious in this dynamic.

Good question. I think seasons first then NIL helps most. But that’s just my opinion.

I’m going to buy season tickets even though I live in California.
I have season tickets and live in AZ. I go back for 2 back to back games with family visit during the week. I sell the rest of my tickets on the exchange to get some of my money back to reinvest in donations or NIL.

We buy season tickets, and we also live in California.

We also target the back to back home games.

Went to four home games in the Dome and the game in Yankee Stadium this season.

We were looking forward to catching some home games and the game at Army next season. With Army joining a conference we will have to rethink that. But. we are all in.

Fired up to support on a higher level. Fran Brown is the reason.

Asking for all who want to support.

Where are the discretionary dollars best spent?

Buying Seasons vs. Same Annual value monetary donation to NIL.

Haven't seen it discussed here. Curious in this dynamic.
I’ve taken the approach that I’m sure many of the people on this board have:

Season tickets with the donation
Discretionary donations if applicable
Orange United NIL subscription
SyraCruz tailgate NIL support

And heres the kicker. Like Fran said yesterday; in our situation, every dollar counts. I don’t have a ton of bread to be throwing around on donations, but making inroads on other forms of support besides seasons will be extremely valuable in doing our part.

If you are not using your season tickets, that's probably the least impactful. A donation to an NIL Collective like OrangeUnited or the SyraCRUZ Fund goes directly to the student athletes (minus a 10 - 15% administrative fee if you choose Orangeunited.) A donation to the Cuse Athletics Fund goes 100% to the Athletic department to support facilities, support staff upgrades and, conceivably, contract buyouts for unsuccessful coaches. And funds spent on season tickets are split with the ticket portion going to the University general fund and the donation portion going to the CAF. And if those tickets are not being used, it reduces the inventory of seats that would otherwise be available to other buyers,

Slightly off topic but I saw Adam Weitsman's jet today in Ft. Worth (I work for a company that does avionics upgrades). Is he still POd at SU or did he come back? Curious from a NIL standpoint.
Image (1).jpg

Bees is correct.

But with the recent NCAA proposal, this may well change. I think schools will be able to provide boosters with benefits in exchange for NIL donations. Which I think will go to the school, and then to the athletes. So much for the collectives (though many key players will probably become school employees instead of working for collectives)..

Not in time for this year though.

Bees is correct.

But with the recent NCAA proposal, this may well change. I think schools will be able to provide boosters with benefits in exchange for NIL donations. Which I think will go to the school, and then to the athletes. So much for the collectives (though many key players will probably become school employees instead of working for collectives)..

Not in time for this year though.

I don't see how NIL is sustainable. It went from "you do something for me and I pay you" (you know, the fundamentals of capitalism) to "I'm going to give you this money for playing for the school I like."

Other than vanity and maybe a little altruism, there is no upside to the donor. This is not professional sports where the person paying the player has a vested interest in the player's/team's success. There is no tax incentive. It's just giving money away (rich people don't get/stay rich by giving money away). Factor in all of the variables outside of the donor's control and there is little reason to engage this way.

I've been skimming the Texas A&M message board since the ERob news came to light, and they are concerned about NIL, and they are the poster children for frivolously paying players. Cynically, this is why I believe the NCAA is pushing this. The big programs know the present NIL model isnt sustainable, and need an avenue to pay the players directly (good luck with Title IX).

I don't see how NIL is sustainable. It went from "you do something for me and I pay you" (you know, the fundamentals of capitalism) to "I'm going to give you this money for playing for the school I like."

Other than vanity and maybe a little altruism, there is no upside to the donor. This is not professional sports where the person paying the player has a vested interest in the player's/team's success. There is no tax incentive. It's just giving money away (rich people don't get/stay rich by giving money away). Factor in all of the variables outside of the donor's control and there is little reason to engage this way.

I've been skimming the Texas A&M message board since the ERob news came to light, and they are concerned about NIL, and they are the poster children for frivolously paying players. Cynically, this is why I believe the NCAA is pushing this. The big programs know the present NIL model isnt sustainable, and need an avenue to pay the players directly (good luck with Title IX).
You dont think if Eric Dungey, who many at cuse loved, said go here and eat this "whatever" there wouldnt be in increase of sales for that business? There are some ways this is just like marketing but using a figure of the customers you want instead of buying add time.

You dont think if Eric Dungey, who many at cuse loved, said go here and eat this "whatever" there wouldnt be in increase of sales for that business? There are some ways this is just like marketing but using a figure of the customers you want instead of buying add time.
Maybe, and to me, that's a version of what NIL should be. But i don't think that's really what's happening at most places.

I'm not complaining about NIL. For a long time I've thought players should be able to cash in on their celebrity.

Maybe, and to me, that's a version of what NIL should be. But i don't think that's really what's happening at most places.

I'm not complaining about NIL. For a long time I've thought players should be able to cash in on their celebrity.
I get ya and agree, blue bloods are not doing it like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom