SEC Going Down In Flames | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SEC Going Down In Flames

Florida , Georgia and South Carolina are the dregs of the SEC ? Spin much .

Georgia is good this year and bonus points for being @ Georgia, but Florida and South Carolina are pretty bad compared to other recent teams (especially Florida, obviously).

These games are also kind of cherry-picked:
  • The home team won each game except the GT-Georgia game.
  • The ACC teams are the four best teams in the conference (at home, except GT). The same cannot be said of the SEC teams that lost. I guess we can spin 6-6, 5th-place in division South Carolina into some juggernaut
The reality is, if you went down and matched up the teams in order between the two conferences, not a single ACC team would be favored to win on a neutral field (you can easily verify this with any rating system such as Sagarin, Massey, etc.).

FSU vs Bama
GT vs Ole Miss
Clemson vs Mississippi State
Louisville vs Georgia
Duke vs Auburn
Miami vs LSU
BC vs Missouri
VT Arkansas
Virginia vs Texas A&M
Pitt vs Florida
NC State vs Tennessee
UNC vs USC
SU vs UK
WF vs Vandy

Georgia is good this year and bonus points for being @ Georgia, but Florida and South Carolina are pretty bad compared to other recent teams (especially Florida, obviously).

• The ACC teams are the four best teams in the conference (at home, except GT). The same cannot be said of the SEC teams that lost. I guess we can spin 6-6, 5th-place in division South Carolina into some juggernaut
The reality is, if you went down and matched up the teams in order between the two conferences, not a single ACC team would be favored to win on a neutral field (you can easily verify this with any rating system such as Sagarin, Massey, etc.).

FSU vs Bama
GT vs Ole Miss
Louisville vs Georgia
Duke vs Auburn
Miami vs LSU
BC vs Missouri
VT Arkansas
Virginia vs Texas A&M
Pitt vs Florida
NC State vs Tennessee
UNC vs USC
SU vs UK
WF vs Vandy

You play who is on your schedule. If the SEC were as powerful as it says it is - then they'd win all their games vs the ACC, regardless of who is "down" or "up"...

The excuse #3 is this one. A&M beats a top 10 ranked USCe (Yes, USCe was a world beater then) soundly and when Clemson plays USCe and they stink. Trumpets are sounding off for that A&M Top 10 win while Oliver is begging for scraps when the Tigers win over the G-Cocks. The hypocrisy is amazing.

The excuse #3 is this one. A&M beats a top 10 ranked USCe (Yes, USCe was a world beater then) soundly and when Clemson plays USCe and they stink. Trumpets are sounding off for that A&M Top 10 win while Oliver is begging for scraps when the Tigers win over the G-Cocks. The hypocrisy is amazing.

They played A&M in the first game of the year ... they played Clemson the last game of the year. No one thinks USC is a good team anymore and the rankings have adjusted them accordingly (kind of like FSU beating Notre Dame - it's no longer a good win even if they were valued highly when they played).

When a team starts losing/playing badly, they drop in ratings. What do you do when information changes?

They played A&M in the first game of the year ... they played Clemson the last game of the year. No one thinks USC is a good team anymore and the rankings have adjusted them accordingly (kind of like FSU beating Notre Dame - it's no longer a good win even if they were valued highly when they played).

When a team starts losing/playing badly, they drop in ratings. What do you do when information changes?

The building up for what A&M did is what stuck in the minds of voters minds and what many talked about for weeks until USCe was proven to be average over time. A&M beat what was then a Top 10 team is what people say and the reputation is now established. I agree the information changes as it should but for some reason it bites FSU in the ass but not others.

Holy lord Mississippi and MSU did not even play a P5 OOC and NO ONE calls them on that. LSU beat Wisconsin which is impressive but using the Kevin Bacon game and giving Mississippi/MSU credit for that (SOS) win is so asinine. So now people have to use computers and the good old eye test to determine how good Mississippi and MSU are because they will not play anyone OOC. If Michigan St didn't play Oregon they would have 1 loss. Is that more impressive?

I would say they are best at winning national championships.

I don't know. The infrastructure and ability to self-promote is world-class too.

I would say they are best at winning national championships.

And exactly what FSU did but somehow that now doesn't seem to count because it doesn't fit the agenda.

And exactly what FSU did but somehow that now doesn't seem to count because it doesn't fit the agenda.

Cool. I have no idea what this means or how it relates to what I said.

Cool. I have no idea what this means or how it relates to what I said.

I thought winning championships tied it in since that is what the SEC is good at and what FSU actually did.

I thought winning championships tied it in since that is what the SEC is good at and what FSU actually did.

I still don't know what you're talking about. Someone thinks the SEC is best at self promotion. I think their better at winning national championships, since they won seven of the last eight.

I still don't know what you're talking about. Someone thinks the SEC is best at self promotion. I think their better at winning national championships, since they won seven of the last eight.

It's obvious you don't know what I'm talking about. You mentioned that the SEC was good at winning championships and I pointed out that FSU just won one. Could you do me a favor and tell who plays QB for this team called the SEC?

It's obvious you don't know what I'm talking about. You mentioned that the SEC was good at winning championships and I pointed out that FSU just won one. Could you do me a favor and tell who plays QB for this team called the SEC?

What does Florida State matter in the context of what I was responding to?

FSU vs Bama
GT vs Ole Miss
Louisville vs Georgia
Duke vs Auburn
Miami vs LSU
BC vs Missouri
VT Arkansas
Virginia vs Texas A&M
Pitt vs Florida
NC State vs Tennessee
UNC vs USC
SU vs UK
WF vs Vandy
IMO FSU , GT , CU and UL would win their games.

You might be right but, as Quazz stated, very few if any of those ACC teams would be favored. I know for damn sure FSU would not be favored over Alabama.

Smilin' I've read this post three times and I still don't know What you are talking about.

You might be right but, as Quazz stated, very few if any of those ACC teams would be favored. I know for damn sure FSU would not be favored over Alabama.
FSU is going to bring it to Alabama. The Tide better be ready. GTECH not overlooked.

FSU is going to bring it to Alabama. The Tide better be ready. GTECH not overlooked.

There have certainly been better Bama editions than this one but I still think they're at least a 6 point favorite over FSU.

0-4 vs ACC , Miss State done , Bama trails Auburn in Iron Bowl. A loss there and maybe NO teams in inaugural Final Four. That's a little solace for Orange faithful.

Not to be a downer.. but didn't Clemson loose to Georgia?

They did. So 1-4? But then Gtech from our "weaker" division wins at Georgia...

Yet UK and UF from the weaker SEC East nearly took down L'ville and the mighty Noles on the road. Two can play this game all night long.

You guys are funny. I put weaker in quotes - because a.) I was referring to what the media believes and b.) I don't think they are - or at the very least it's been overstated

Fanboy? More like Factboy. If you care to refute the facts then have at it.
No need, the playoff will prove what we need to know in the long run and you may very well be right. Let's see what happens when the best of the best square off. B1G, Pac-12, ACC, and SEC. All this talk about perception, media bias, etc won't mean diddly in by Jan. 12th. Personally I can't wait, it feels like the first year of the Superbowl, even better in some ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom