SEC keeps 8 game schedule | Syracusefan.com

SEC keeps 8 game schedule

ACC adopts same rule in 3, 2, 1...

This will keep pressure on the ACC to do the same. The SEC teams that play annual games against their ACC instate rival started about 10 years ago scheduling a bad FCS team the week before the ACC game. The ACC was still scheduling ACC games that week until FSU, GT, and Clemson screamed. Now the ACC schools are doing the same that week, scheduling FCS teams. You have to laugh this year though because Georgia Southern actually knocked off the Florida Gators in the swamp that week.

Now that the ACC has Louisville playing an instate SEC school too, there will be 4 voices pushing the ACC to do the same arrangement as the SEC, and those are 4 important voices regarding ACC football.

Surprised they didn't lower it to 7. Alabama will somehow miss Florida, USCe and Georgia yet again. The PAC and Big 12 are just shooting themselves in the foot by playing 9 until everybody does it.

"Since 2000 LSU has played Florida and Georgia 19 times and Alabama has played them eight times. That is a competitive disadvantage. There are a lot of other examples."

LSU gets Florida, Auburn gets Georgia and Alabama gets Tennessee. Now Tennessee should improve, but the HS FB in Georgia and Florida will make them stronger. This is little old secret behind Bama's recent dominance their SEC schedules have been easier than LSU's.

Also, I like the fact all SEC schools will have to play 1 power team. The ACC will probably follow suit and it won't be a problem for us. Duke is probably the football team that would need to improve its non-conference football scheduling.

From the AJC in Atlanta:

http://jeffschultz.blog.ajc.com/201...ames/?icmp=ajc_internallink_textlink_homepage

Georgia athletic director Greg McGarity told me in March he was concerned that going to nine games would require the Bulldogs to play 10 games against major conferences (including the Tech game), and he was concerned about the potential loss of a home game every other year.

He lost me with those arguments, as well as this one: “What does it say if [the players] have to be at their very best for nine conference games a year, plus a 10th (rivalry) game. I think some kids would love to say, ‘Let’s start out with a softy.’”

He's worried about the players having to be at their very best for 10 games a year? Shouldn't they be at their very best for 12 games a year? He should have just come out and said that he is worried about another loss on the schedule rather than an automatic win.

From the AJC in Atlanta:

http://jeffschultz.blog.ajc.com/201...ames/?icmp=ajc_internallink_textlink_homepage

Georgia athletic director Greg McGarity told me in March he was concerned that going to nine games would require the Bulldogs to play 10 games against major conferences (including the Tech game), and he was concerned about the potential loss of a home game every other year.

He lost me with those arguments, as well as this one: “What does it say if [the players] have to be at their very best for nine conference games a year, plus a 10th (rivalry) game. I think some kids would love to say, ‘Let’s start out with a softy.’”

He's worried about the players having to be at their very best for 10 games a year? Shouldn't they be at their very best for 12 games a year? He should have just come out and said that he is worried about another loss on the schedule rather than an automatic win.

It's really about the children. Reminds me of the idiotic statement by the Arkansas HC regarding fast play. No agenda here.

It's really about the children. Reminds me of the idiotic statement by the Arkansas HC regarding fast play. No agenda here.
Its about money and is pretty much saying it without saying it. All elite football programs need atleast 7 home games because of the $$$ they generate.

If they played 9 conference games and Georgia Tech that would be 5 H/ 5A and they would have to always play those 2 other games at home or they would lose a lot of money.

8 conference games + rivalry game allows the SEC/ACC schools, Florida State, Florida, Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia Tech, Georgia, Louisville, Kentucky to play 1 of their other 3 games on the road and still get 7 home games a season.

If the ACC-SEC went to 9 game conference schedules then Georgia and Clemson couldn't play each other and they like playing every once in a while in non-conference games.

The UGA AD is telling the truth without saying its directly about the money.

Its about money and is pretty much saying it without saying it. All elite football programs need atleast 7 home games because of the $$$ they generate.

If they played 9 conference games and Georgia Tech that would be 5 H/ 5A and they would have to always play those 2 other games at home or they would lose a lot of money.

8 conference games + rivalry game allows the SEC/ACC schools, Florida State, Florida, Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia Tech, Georgia, Louisville, Kentucky to play 1 of their other 3 games on the road and still get 7 home games a season.

If the ACC-SEC went to 9 game conference schedules then Georgia and Clemson couldn't play each other and they like playing every once in a while in non-conference games.

The UGA AD is telling the truth without saying its directly about the money.

Money but the by product is having more home games/patsies and success (better record) thus even more money. If the P5 wants to be a big boy then they need to act more like the NFL and figure out a way to share this money and stop with the excuses of "we need more home games because of money" excuse.

Money but the by product is having more home games/patsies and success (better record) thus even more money. If the P5 wants to be a big boy then they need to act more like the NFL and figure out a way to share this money and stop with the excuses of "we need more home games because of money" excuse.
There will never be complete revenue sharing in college sports. I wouldn't mind a portion of each conference's home gate being put in a fund and distributed equally within just that conference, but not all of it. The NFL works because of this, but college sports are different IMO.

There will never be complete revenue sharing in college sports. I wouldn't mind a portion of each conference's home gate being put in a fund and distributed equally within just that conference, but not all of it. The NFL works because of this, but college sports are different IMO.

I'm sure you're right, it'll never happen. This is what worries me to a point...once they go the P5 route, when is not going to the Dome going to happen? Only 50K compared to 70+ for many of the P5 schools.

Playing 8 out of 13 possible games and calling it a conference is just not working for me. It's funny...there used to be negative comments about the Big East having too many teams in hoop but at least they all played each other and in football it was a complete round robin.

I'm sure you're right, it'll never happen. This is what worries me to a point...once they go the P5 route, when is not going to the Dome going to happen? Only 50K compared to 70+ for many of the P5 schools.

Playing 8 out of 13 possible games and calling it a conference is just not working for me. It's funny...there used to be negative comments about the Big East having too many teams in hoop but at least they all played each other and in football it was a complete round robin.

I don't think it will come to it...but you could always "whore out" your hoops program to get the P5 elite to play us in the Dome. That said...PSU, tOSU, Michigan, USC, ND, Alabama, Texas and (plug my nose) Rutgirls will probably be our MetLife opponents. For the Dome we need to go after teams like Tenn, Mich St., Wisc, Oregon, UCLA, USC in Columbia, Florida (if they have the courage), LSU, TAMU, Mizzou, etc...

So SEC teams will be looking to schedule bottom feeders from the other P5 conferences. So Wake Forest, Indiana, Washington State, Vandy, etc. will now become popular. Get ready for Alabama-Indiana.

So SEC teams will be looking to schedule bottom feeders from the other P5 conferences. So Wake Forest, Indiana, Washington State, Vandy, etc. will now become popular. Get ready for Alabama-Indiana.

Hmmm we kinda fit that category too! Suddenly I think we aren't a 7 anymore...but more like a 9.

From the AJC in Atlanta:

If the first argument was just about the built-in advantage in conference games teams would have every other year (4 home/5 away vs. 5 home/4 away), I could go along with him. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Madbiker said:

X gets the square.