SEC Network Coming Soon: ACC Network NOT FAR Behind | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SEC Network Coming Soon: ACC Network NOT FAR Behind

I want to know if this is a digital cable channel, or an online digital service, or both?

Forgive me, but can someone provide more detail about how the “lead programming” may work? I still don’t follow the posts about NC teams being the lead.

Here’s what I do know… I live in NJ and became a cord cutter in 2008. I put a HD antenna in my attic, so I get all OTA HD channels, 2,4,5,7 etc. To augment this, my brother gave me the username and password to his fios account (I have Cablevision). With these credentials, I can access Watch ESPN and the Big 10 network . I have a sony playstation and spare computer hooked up to my television.

With this set up, I was able to watch every televised Syracuse game with the exception of the Sony Brook game. It was on SNY or maybe MSG, I can’t remember. I had to ‘visit’ my parents for that one.

I’m really hoping the ACC does a digital online service and is innovative about it. It’s technically feasible to either ask the viewer to enter their location and favorite ACC team, or detect location and favorite team by viewing habits. With this information stored in a cookie and database, an ACC digital service can provide a customized experience featuring Syracuse sports and location based ads regardless of where you are, the best of both worlds.

I would gladly pay for this.

I think ND and ESPN are working on something that will make it so that all our programming will be on the ESPN family of networks. Our AD has been saying our renewal(For NBC) is right around the corner for the last couple of years and talked about it often. He hasn't mentioned it or mentioned our Digital Network(Another thing he discussed a lot.) for the last few months. So I will not be surprised to see an ACC/ND network put together in the near future along with a GoR being included.
Are ND fans hearing that Swarbrick is going to move ND football from NBC to ESPN/ABC. I know ND was loyal to NBC and vice-versa all those years because of Dick Ebersol and the relationship he had with ND, but if ND is going to leave NBC for ESPN/ABC ACC fans will be ecstatic, and the ACC network has a lot greater chance to succeed under these circumstances.

Are ND fans hearing that Swarbrick is going to move ND football from NBC to ESPN/ABC. I know ND was loyal to NBC and vice-versa all those years because of Dick Ebersol and the relationship he had with ND, but if ND is going to leave NBC for ESPN/ABC ACC fans will be ecstatic, and the ACC network has a lot greater chance to succeed under these circumstances.

We don't know, all we know is that our AD said it was in motion and should happen soon. But there has been nothing but silence on this issue for quite awhile now. You're right about the Ebersol relationship and with Comcast now owning them(NBC) I don't know haw loyal we're toward NBC now. I just want what is best for the ACC/ND(Short of us joining in full) if that means working out a deal with ESPN to broadcast our games then so be it. Just curious to see what happens here in the next couple of months.

"I would gladly pay for this." :D

I want to know if this is a digital cable channel, or an online digital service, or both?

Forgive me, but can someone provide more detail about how the “lead programming” may work? I still don’t follow the posts about NC teams being the lead.

Here’s what I do know… I live in NJ and became a cord cutter in 2008. I put a HD antenna in my attic, so I get all OTA HD channels, 2,4,5,7 etc. To augment this, my brother gave me the username and password to his fios account (I have Cablevision). With these credentials, I can access Watch ESPN and the Big 10 network . I have a sony playstation and spare computer hooked up to my television.

With this set up, I was able to watch every televised Syracuse game with the exception of the Sony Brook game. It was on SNY or maybe MSG, I can’t remember. I had to ‘visit’ my parents for that one.

I’m really hoping the ACC does a digital online service and is innovative about it. It’s technically feasible to either ask the viewer to enter their location and favorite ACC team, or detect location and favorite team by viewing habits. With this information stored in a cookie and database, an ACC digital service can provide a customized experience featuring Syracuse sports and location based ads regardless of where you are, the best of both worlds.

I would gladly pay for this.

I think the ACC network is better off copying the Pac-12 model of having local affiliates within the national Pac-12 network. Pac-12 Network is a national network with a group of 7 networks dedicated regional to each Pac-12 team. The 7 networks, titled Pac-12 Networks, include the national network and 6 regional networks: Pac-12 Arizona (Arizona & Arizona State), Pac-12 Bay Area (Cal & Stanford), Pac-12 Los Angeles (UCLA & USC), Pac-12 Mountain (Colorado & Utah), Pac-12 Oregon (Oregon & Oregon State), and Pac-12 Washington (Washington & Washington State).The national network was available to at least 48 million homes at time of launch,while the regional networks are available in every home of their respective region in Pac-12 territory.
The ACC could copy this by doing ACC Carolina (Duke, Wake, N.Carolina, NC State) ACC Peach (Clemson, Georgia Tech), ACC Florida (Florida State, Miami), ACC Virginia ( Virginia, Virginia Tech) ACC Mid-West(Pitt, Louisville, Notre Dame) ACC Northeast( Syracuse, Boston College)
The only reason that the BTN is successful is all the money that FOX/News Corp was willing to lose on the launch in exchange for probable preference when the B1G renegotiates its television contracts. While this can't be "proven" technically it is pretty obvious the B1G is atleast partially going to go to FOX after the 2016 season as the B1G championship game was awarded to FOX even though they broadcast zero B1G games and ESPN would probably pay a lot to broadcast it. I don't think going completely national like BTN or SEC will work in the long run because ESPN can't leverage entire networks on its platform too much or eventually cable companies will fight back. By having regional networks and 1 national feeder it allows the network to grow and if it becomes go enough to get on basic cable then you are flush with money.

I'm a Cablevision subscriber in lower Fairfield County CT. This past year, half the SU football games and 10 of 31 regular season basketball games were carried on SNY on cable. Is that going away next season? What happens to those games? I'm all for an ACC Network if it allows me to get the SU games not on ESPN. The last thing I want though is an ACC Network that is 90% UNC and FSU football games and 90% UNC and Duke basketball games. Appreciate it if anyone can explain what is likely to happen to TV viewing next football/hoops season.

I'm a Cablevision subscriber in lower Fairfield County CT. This past year, half the SU football games and 10 of 31 regular season basketball games were carried on SNY on cable. Is that going away next season? What happens to those games? I'm all for an ACC Network if it allows me to get the SU games not on ESPN. The last thing I want though is an ACC Network that is 90% UNC and FSU football games and 90% UNC and Duke basketball games. Appreciate it if anyone can explain what is likely to happen to TV viewing next football/hoops season.
My understanding is that the ACC has been selling its content not taken by ESPN/ABC to Raycom, who resells it to every market in which there is interest in ACC sports. I believe ESPN can also show this content on ESPN3, which it often does.

Here is the list of affiliates who were part of the ACC network last year:

Linkage

Link with Coverage Maps

So as of last season, there were no affiliates in Connecticut, but I believe WLNY showed the games over the air and the Yes network carried games on cable in the greater NYC area.

As best I can tell, the proposed new ACC network, call it ESPN ACC for lack of a better name, would effectively replace the current ACC network, which really isn't a channel but a loose affiliation of stations that have committed to show ACC games on their stations.

What happens in NYC is something that is of great interest to Syracuse fans. Thought SNY did a great job covering Big East sports, threw in a lot of extra coverage with pre and post game shows, and would love to see ACC games given a similar treatment, if not by SNY then by YES or MSG. I think the ACC Network has more content than the Big East did though...I believe they do their own pre and post game shows for instance, so maybe it isn't needed as much.

My guess is that SNY stays with the AAC for at least one more year...it still has RU and UConn on the hook for one more year. After that, RU goes to the B1G and SNY needs to decide if they want to keep the AAC or go to the ACC. Unless MSG or YES has already taken the ACC first. Three players, one network. Should be really interesting to see what happens.

The ACC has had good success so far taking from the Big East with Syracuse, Pitt and ND on board. The Pinstripe Bowl has been taken. Big Monday has been taken. I expect the ACC will have a deal with one of the NYC sports networks soon. The thing that would really establish the presence of the ACC in the Northeast is to commit the ACC post season basketball tournament to play in NYC for an extended period. Sounds like an announcement towards that end, a 5 year contract for the tournament to be played in Brooklyn, is going to happen soon.

Hey guys, just wanted to jump in here. By way of intro, I'm an FSU fan and reallignment junkie and have been for many years. Since Nebraska left for the B1G I'd say. I've been following this stuff pretty closely, am pretty active on the WVU reallignment board and on Twitter. I'm not saying I know what I'm talking about...but I know a little more of what I'm talking about than just random message board idiots. And I have no sources. I don't drop inside information.

My biases up front...
- I wish FSU was in the SEC or was a candidate for an SEC invite
- I would definitely be interested in FSU getting in the B1G as part of a southern pod including GT, UNC, UVA, etc.
- I think the ACC has been terrible in football and generally terrible in managing their business over the last 10-15 years, to FSU's detriment
- I was not a big fan of adding SU/Pitt (sorry) mainly because of splitting the money more ways and not strengthening the football and requiring a 9th game
- I'm a lot more positive toward the SU/Pitt now that the contract increased, we replaced MD w/Louisville, and we went back to 8 games
- I actually think the moves the ACC has made in the last 18 mos are impressive considering how little leverage they have had
- I think the ACC has decent upside, better than the Big 12, but have a hard time seeing how it isn't buried by the B1G and SEC. That's a big deal when you are FSU and are seriously trying to win national championships, and you're surrounded by the SEC
- I was initially pretty intrigued by a move to the Big 12, but moves the ACC has made to close that gap have pretty much taken the steam out of that for me. I think the ACC is a better conference for FSU if the ACC can get it's affairs in order

Anyway, I wanted to jump in with the Raycom thing and explain it. I've been a big critic of the Raycom relationship, but people misunderstand some things.

Forever, the ACC had a relationship with Raycom as one of its broadcast rights partners. There is history and affinity there on Tobacco Road. Raycom actually used to have a ton of sports rights, but over the years they were not able to keep up and the ACC was their last property. If Raycom lost ACC sports, as a company they would fail.

With the last media deal, the ACC wanted to have all their rights held by one party (mistake). Raycom is not an option there obviously. So the ACC's plan was to hope to work out a deal with whoever won their rights, that that party would sublease some content to Raycom. It was sort of a "good ol' boy" or "for old-time's sake" thing that is romantic, but that most of college sports has moved on from. What that means is that the ACC made it clear to its potential suitors (at the time only ESPN and Fox, and Fox was only dipping it's toe in at the time) that it would be looked on favorably for whoever would work out a good deal with Raycom.

Tangential to this is the fact that the ACC was very clear that it wanted it's rights on ESPN. The ACC schools are not poor. They also for the most part don't have high aspirations for their football programs. What they do want is national exposure and bright lights, and that meant ESPN.

They did bring Fox in to drive the bidding up a little to the $13M, but they didn't even let Fox try to counter the final ESPN deal.

At the time, it put the ACC at $13M to the SEC's $17M, at a time when people still thought the SEC deal was insanely high, and would never be touched.

The problem is that Larry Scott and the PAC and Jim Delaney and the B1G weren't buying that at all. They understood the market, where it was going, and the ACC totally did not. The PAC deal came along and totally reset the market.

The cost of the Raycom situation is whatever money the ACC may have left on the table by putting an artificial requirement in place. As soon as you require (or request) something like that, you have to pay for it. That, combined with the clear stated preference of where they wanted to end up, ended up taking the ACC to the cleaners once it was established what college sports rights are actually worth. The proper way to go into a negotiation, when your contract is totally up and you are a free agent, is that you'll play your games on the Home Shopping Network if they pony up the most cash. If Raycom can sublease a piece, fine. If not, fine.

That's the Raycom deal. The fact that Swofford's son worked there may or may not have influenced it certainly, but the bottom line is they had a harmful and romantic attachment to this relationship that they should have been able to let go of. That, and piss poor foresight and general poor negotiating, got a deal that very quickly put the ACC in a bad financial position with few options.

To be clear...Raycom doesn't buy any rights from the ACC. The ACC sold all their rights to ESPN. But ESPN subleases some of the rights (and decent rights...we're talking about Big 10 network quality rights, plus the ACC tournament, not Big 12 3rd tier rights stuff) to Raycom. And on top of that, Raycom sub-subleases some of the rights they get to Fox.

So, we're in a very crappy deal. So what can the ACC do about it? It's limited. They extended the deal when they added SU/Pitt to get a higher average. They added ND olympics to get another $1-1.5M a year maybe. That pretty much cuts the difference enough with the Big 12, considering that nobody really wants to go to the Big 12. But it really doesn't cut enough of the difference with where the SEC and B1G and PAC are headed. We'll know more about that vis a vis the SEC tomorrow. And that's what schools, most of all FSU are looking at. Unless the ACC can seriously turn the paradigm around, it's going to be possible to break up the ACC via FSU. However, there are solid reasons why the B1G and SEC aren't likely to invite FSU. So there may be nothing FSU can do, unless that changes.

Which gives the ACC some time to make things right if they can. And the interesting thing is, the Raycom thing to me might be the thing that allows the ACC to put together a network. It's time for the ACC to call in their chit with Raycom. Raycom has to give back now, even if it comes out of their pocket. Yes, Raycom snuck their seat at the table for this contract, but there is no way or no how that it will be repeated next time around. It's become a laughing stock situation, it's anachronistic, and it's over. Which means that Raycom as a company has a terminal disease with a life expectancy of 15 years, unless they do something.

Now, I don't have a lot of faith in the idea of an ACC network. I agree that the actual calibre of the sports could actually be better than the SEC Network programming. But I don't have a lot of faith in ACC footprint schools desiring that programming, and demanding that programming from their cable operators. There's a reason ACC attendance in football is so good, they travel the most, buy the most merchandise. I just don't think the ACC Network will demand as high a carriage rate.

HOWEVER, Raycom gives the ACC some interesting options. Raycom already has sport production facilities and know how. They already have marketing. They already have the digital arm.

If I'm the ACC, I'm going to Raycom and saying, "Here's what's happening. We're starting a network. You're going to own x%, we're going to own x% and ESPN is going to own x%. It's going to be ESPN branded for the most part, and ESPN is going to be responsible for getting carriage. You guys are going to foot the bill for production and startup costs. And those games you've been subleasing out? No more, you're kicking those in, as well as replays on all the games you own, and all the backlog of 50 years of ACC tournaments. Yes, we know that's going to take a cut out of your bottom line. You might have to lay some folks off. No bonuses this year. But you'll live as a company. Or, you take your sweetheart deal, and start thinking about what all your employees will do in 15 years, because you're never getting another ACC minute of sports again."

You then need to convince ESPN to go in on it. Their startup costs are covered. Their basically getting a percentage just for the blood it takes to get carriage (which is not insignificant). They also get to keep the ACC together, and not see half the conference go to the Fox network, either completely (in the BTN) or partially (in the Big 12). No, in a vacuum, it might not make great financial success to ESPN, but they're not in a vacuum. They've got an investment in something that could lose tremendous value, and add tremendous value to their chief competitor for their new Fox Sports cable startups.

And for their part, the ACC throws in not breaking up. Maybe signs a grant of rights.

Now the big question is, even if it went down that way, is there enough money to be made from an ACC network anyway? I don't know. Can Syracuse get carriage in New York state, or BC in Mass? In this cable environment, it makes me very doubtful. But if they can, then we might be on to something.

Finally, I live in Atlanta, but I'm a Buffalo guy born and bread. I have a lot of significant memories surrounding Syracuse football and basketball, been to the Carrier Dome for both, etc. Growing up, I never rooted for Syracuse, because I was usually the contrarian, and SU was the main local team. But boy, I miss you guys being good in football, and have been rooting for you to get it together forever now. I now root for SU more than I ever did for football. You guys deserve to be better, and that part of the country needs it.

Being active on a WVU board is your first mistake.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Not the first. Maybe the third. Second, would be the idea that football is more important than academics. But, above all, Andrew Wiggins would not be interested in FSU were they in the SEC.

So what are we looking at for the upcoming year or two in terms of SU games on TV? I'm in NYC...am I looking at missing a lot of the games that I'm used to seeing (for basketball the December games and mediocre conference games [vs Prov, SHU...Clemson, Va Tech...] on SNY, and pretty much any non ESPN televised football game). I don't recall seeing too many ACC football games on, and basketball games were very limited as well, outside of the ESPN/CBS games. SU games have to be available in NY right?

What exactly is this ACC Digital network crap? Watching games on a laptop sucks, is that something I should resign myself to now? Is it available on a PS3?

My biases up front...
- I wish FSU was in the SEC or was a candidate for an SEC invite
- I would definitely be interested in FSU getting in the B1G as part of a southern pod including GT, UNC, UVA, etc.
- I think the ACC has been terrible in football and generally terrible in managing their business over the last 10-15 years, to FSU's detriment
- I was not a big fan of adding SU/Pitt (sorry) mainly because of splitting the money more ways and not strengthening the football and requiring a 9th game
- I'm a lot more positive toward the SU/Pitt now that the contract increased, we replaced MD w/Louisville, and we went back to 8 games
- I actually think the moves the ACC has made in the last 18 mos are impressive considering how little leverage they have had

Hey, you know, the only reason the ACC has "been terrible" is because you and Miami have not been nationally relevant teams. It's on YOU, dude. It's not the conference's fault that you are perceived to be down. Win some important games. You have a perfect conference to compete for national titles - enough "name" schools to draw voters' attention, and beatable opposition.

We all know that the only conference you'd like to be in is the SEC, but that's up to them. The Big 10 will be a big mistake. The Big 12 is a non-starter. Do you want to play 2nd fiddle to Texas when you should be the leader of this conference, like you used to be?

Can't wait to play you guys again.

Not the first. Maybe the third. Second, would be the idea that football is more important than academics. But, above all, Andrew Wiggins would not be interested in FSU were they in the SEC.

Yes, I'm pulling hard for the Wiggins decision to go our way.

Thanks Arb for the info.

Just gave up my land line phone service - why because the model was broken and makes no sense to have it anymore due to the cost - too expensive and no one in my family calls on that line anymore. I get the sense that the same will happen to today's Cable TV model.

People have already stopped (over 5 million customers lost last year alone) paying for $100 plus monthly in Cable TV fees especially if they can get $10 or less Internet TV with local programming through the air - I would pay to subscribe to SU sports through the ACC TV channel separately just like Netflix for movies but for now I am stuck with Time Warner Cable. My only concern today is about the quality of broadcast - I assume by 2020 that wont be an issue. To me the cable model is broken just like the land line phone service is broken today due to cost.

However, to me the great equalizer in conference realignment is the playoff system - nobody seems to be factoring that in. You win all your games, your in the playoff. Regarding the FSU fan, FSU wins all its games in the ACC, they would be in the playoffs and have their chance to win the national title. Like an old SU great once said "just win baby"!

Hey, you know, the only reason the ACC has "been terrible" is because you and Miami have not been nationally relevant teams. It's on YOU, dude. It's not the conference's fault that you are perceived to be down. Win some important games. You have a perfect conference to compete for national titles - enough "name" schools to draw voters' attention, and beatable opposition.

We all know that the only conference you'd like to be in is the SEC, but that's up to them. The Big 10 will be a big mistake. The Big 12 is a non-starter. Do you want to play 2nd fiddle to Texas when you should be the leader of this conference, like you used to be?

Can't wait to play you guys again.

Well, our performance certainly hasn't helped. That said, you can't count on one or two teams to do it every year. Look at the Pac during USC's probations...Oregon and Stanford at the top of the polls. FSU and Miami can't be the only ACC teams eligible for a top 5 or 10 ranking. That just doesn't work.

Clemson looks committed now. I think FSU is back on track. I think Miami will bounce back sooner than people expect. Maybe Louisville can build/sustain something here. Today, the UNC AD said he wants to increase athletic revenue 40%. If that doesn't mean he's going to bail on the ACC, then there is almost no way that committing to a better football program isn't going to be either a driver of that or a result. We simply need more top 10 caliber football teams.

That said, I actually think FSU (and Clemson and GT) is more responsible of the field than on the field. They should have been pushing football/money issues sooner and more aggressively. They should have seen these challenges sooner and pushed on them. I don't think they did. Thanksfully, I actually think everyone is on the same page now about what needs to be done. I think the moves of the past 1-2 years show that to be the case.

Right on the SEC, no indications they want us. The B1G, I don't know if it would be a mistake, but I would have misgivings even if I supported it. I also now believe the Big 12 is a non-starter, and I actually think the ACC has a better long term upside if it can hold together. So given FSU's options, I am very invested in the ACC improving it's position financially, given who FSU is competing against.

Just so you know, I didn't post those "negative" things as smack talk, it's only because if I was having good, ACC-positive conversations here with you guys, eventually someone would show up from WVU-land or somewhere else to "out" me as SEC-leaning, or against adding Syracuse. But I'm not hear to run down the ACC or Syracuse or Pitt. If the ACC Network becomes a reality, and gets carriage in NY and PA as a result, I will have been proven totally wrong about the ACC's last expansion. I've been pretty pessimistic on the prospects of an ACC network for some time, but I'm coming around on it's possibilities.

I've been lurking here for some time to pick up on the things you guys hear, especially from arb. Good stuff and encouraging stuff. I think the ACC has some real problems (at least in terms of FSU) compared to the SEC and B1G, but I'm more optimistic about it than I have been in maybe 15 years. I think our heads are in the right place now. It's just a matter of what we can come up with given the bad contract we're married to. But we're supposed to be smart guys, right? We've got to be able to come up with something.

Thanks Arb for the info.

Just gave up my land line phone service - why because the model was broken and makes no sense to have it anymore due to the cost - too expensive and no one in my family calls on that line anymore. I get the sense that the same will happen to today's Cable TV model.

People have already stopped (over 5 million customers lost last year alone) paying for $100 plus monthly in Cable TV fees especially if they can get $10 or less Internet TV with local programming through the air - I would pay to subscribe to SU sports through the ACC TV channel separately just like Netflix for movies but for now I am stuck with Time Warner Cable. My only concern today is about the quality of broadcast - I assume by 2020 that wont be an issue. To me the cable model is broken just like the land line phone service is broken today due to cost.

However, to me the great equalizer in conference realignment is the playoff system - nobody seems to be factoring that in. You win all your games, your in the playoff. Regarding the FSU fan, FSU wins all its games in the ACC, they would be in the playoffs and have their chance to win the national title. Like an old SU great once said "just win baby"!

Agree. One thing I am not concerned about is FSU's strength of schedule or ability to compete for national titles in the ACC.

My concern is primarily financial. No, we're never going to catch the Floridas and Alabamas of the world revenue wise. That's just the way it is. We are a young program and a young university for football purposes. But I do have a problem with the media contracts putting schools like Arkansas, South Carolina, etc to our level.

And in addition to media contracts, the poor state of ACC football hurts at the ticket office. Winning would help that, but FSU fans probably live further from their stadium than any other major program with a stadium that size. The home conference lineups that we've had just aren't getting folks to drive five hours each way and drop $700 on a weekend the way they need to. Winning will help, as will the occasional Notre Dame games, as will better OOC scheduling. But we also need the rest of the ACC to make meaningful matchups.

I think the ACC should absolutely be considering discussing Netflix and Amazon as outlets. Neither of them are in sports at the moment, but they are dropping meaningful money on original programming. At some point one of them is going to do it. It would be a great move for Amazon, who is trying to catch/differentiate themselves from Netflix.

Well, our performance certainly hasn't helped. That said, you can't count on one or two teams to do it every year. Look at the Pac during USC's probations...Oregon and Stanford at the top of the polls. FSU and Miami can't be the only ACC teams eligible for a top 5 or 10 ranking. That just doesn't work.

Not looking to smack talk back, either. But the fact of the matter is that Florida State, Miami and Virginia Tech should all be Top 10-15 caliber teams, almost every year.

Clemson, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Pitt and Syracuse should form that second tier, and also be ranked pretty much every year, or among "those receiving votes". That's plenty deep for a conference to be taken seriously by national voters and computer rankings.

We seem to have regained that toughness that always used to characterize Syracuse football. Now what we need is an upgrade in recruiting to start drawing some talented skills players again. It seems like forever, but it was only a little over a decade ago that we were a perennial top 15 team with Donovan McNabb, Dwight Freeney, Keith Bulluck, Marvin Harrison, Rob Moore, Darryl Johnson, etc.

It's not that long ago (if you're middle aged like many of us) that we've bagged wins over teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Colorado, Florida, Miami, Va. Tech, Notre Dame, etc. We feel that we are on the way back to where we rightfully belong as a program. You might not think of us as a quality team to be adding to the ACC, but we have the 15th most wins all time, have more players in the Hall of Fame, and have a great tradition. We are the one Big East team who played strong OOC competition every year, even when we were down, when the rest of conference scheduled as weakly as the Hokies.

We will give you boys a good run for your money. We damn near beat you at the Dome back in 2003, although you beat us pretty good in the return match.

Not looking to smack talk back, either. But the fact of the matter is that Florida State, Miami and Virginia Tech should all be Top 10-15 caliber teams, almost every year.

Clemson, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Pitt and Syracuse should form that second tier, and also be ranked pretty much every year, or among "those receiving votes". That's plenty deep for a conference to be taken seriously by national voters and computer rankings.

We seem to have regained that toughness that always used to characterize Syracuse football. Now what we need is an upgrade in recruiting to start drawing some talented skills players again. It seems like forever, but it was only a little over a decade ago that we were a perennial top 15 team with Donovan McNabb, Dwight Freeney, Keith Bulluck, Marvin Harrison, Rob Moore, Darryl Johnson, etc.

It's not that long ago (if you're middle aged like many of us) that we've bagged wins over teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Colorado, Florida, Miami, Va. Tech, Notre Dame, etc. We feel that we are on the way back to where we rightfully belong as a program. You might not think of us as a quality team to be adding to the ACC, but we have the 15th most wins all time, have more players in the Hall of Fame, and have a great tradition. We are the one Big East team who played strong OOC competition every year, even when we were down, when the rest of conference scheduled as weakly as the Hokies.

We will give you boys a good run for your money. We damn near beat you at the Dome back in 2003, although you beat us pretty good in the return match.

I totally agree. If all those schools do what they should, the ACC is pretty deep. And in that list, if everyone is doing what they need to, you can overcome someone in a down year or cycle. You listed 8 teams, and the ACC doesn't even need 8 teams in the top 25 each year...4-5 would be a huge step forward, as long as we could land a couple in the top 10. North Carolina should also be on that list...they have the resources and the athletes to be a top 15 team, they just never do it.

I do indeed remember the great Syracuse days. I always thought FSU and Syracuse had a similarity in that they made an effort to play national games. Basically, anyone, anywhere. We've gotten away from that, but it looks like we're headed back that way ourselves.

I was at the 1989 FSU game in the Dome, before I even started at Florida State. One of handful of FSU alums to take in what has become part of FSU lore, the fake fair catch. I went to a Syracuse-Uconn basketball game in the Dome as well back in the 1990s. My mother's entire side of the family is from the Finger Lakes area and are big Syracuse fans.

Also, noticed your name. My wife went to Ithaca College. I spent a few weekends there. Really nice town.

When the terms of the SEC deal become public, I think we're all going to have agita. :(

an interesting post:

http://www.mrsec.com/2013/04/the-new-sec-espn-partnership-is-about-much-more-than-a-tv-network/#more-268651[/quote]

Seems highly ironic to me that the approach of bundling everything together and partnering with ESPN has been called the fool's negotiation by everyone in every other conference when the ACC does it, but a stroke of brilliance when the SEC does it? Hmm. The SEC actually had to go out and pay good money to pull it off because they had to buy back all that content.

• Notre Dame is going to go in to the Network for all sports sans football and hockey...HOWEVER, negotiations are taking place to add minimally the ACC-Notre Dame football games to the Network ---ACC-Notre Dame games automatically added; Notre Dame-ACC games considered Notre Damehome games may be run as reruns at a cost to ACC
  • ACC -Notre Dame Network may be more local in flavor than other conference networks...that is lead programming determined by locality and region...vary programming to include home markets and home teams...and don't forget that Notre Dame opens a new market in the mid-west
Notre Dame just extended it's deal with NBC through 2025. Seven home games will be televised. The ACC could get rights to the 2/3 road games against ACC opponents.

Notre Dame just extended it's deal with NBC through 2025. Seven home games will be televised. The ACC could get rights to the 2/3 road games against ACC opponents.
That isn't even a question ESPN owns the rights to ALL ACC home games and the renegotiation bump of a 1 million more a school was due to these 2/3 ND games a year.