Second five and 6th, 7th, 8th man | Syracusefan.com

Second five and 6th, 7th, 8th man

20Plus

If we replaced had to replace Marek, PC, and Frank with Jaylen, a healthy Sidbe and Elijah we are still a top 15 team in my opinion. This got me thinking about our second five

With Carey, Washington or Buddy,Hughes,Braswell Sidibe

If those were starting five, could we win some games?

I think the biggest weakness I see would be a freshman Braswell at the four. Second weakness would be 2g. Speaks to our depth that Carey Hughes and Sidbe could start!

I guess I don't fully understand your question.

Are you asking if we could be a top 15 team next year with a primary starting 5 / core rotation of Carey, Buddy, Hughes, Braswell, and Sidibe?

I'd say no. I think Carey might prove to be an NBA prospect eventually. I believe that Buddy will prove to be an above average starter as an upper classman. I believe that Hughes will be a quality ACC starter, too, once he knocks off the ring rust after this year. And I think that eventually, Sidibe will be an NBA prospect.

But next year? That lineup would be overmatched. Carey / Boeheim / scrawny Braswell as frosh would sink their chances, IMO. Very good chance that Hughes / Sidibe have big years, but even they are unproven.

And per my first sentence, I may have misinterpreted what you are asking -- if so, sorry for this lengthy response!

I guess I don't fully understand your question.

Are you asking if we could be a top 15 team next year with a primary starting 5 / core rotation of Carey, Buddy, Hughes, Braswell, and Sidibe?

I'd say no. I think Carey might prove to be an NBA prospect eventually. I believe that Buddy will prove to be an above average starter as an upper classman. I believe that Hughes will be a quality ACC starter, too, once he knocks off the ring rust after this year. And I think that eventually, Sidibe will be an NBA prospect.

But next year? That lineup would be overmatched. Carey / Boeheim / scrawny Braswell as frosh would sink their chances, IMO. Very good chance that Hughes / Sidibe have big years, but even they are unproven.

And per my first sentence, I may have misinterpreted what you are asking -- if so, sorry for this lengthy response!
Two different premises:

Keep Battle and Brisset then insert Carey, Sidbe and Hughes. Is that a potential top 15 team? I say yes.!

Then take out Battle and Brissett insert Braswell and either Washington or Buddy. With our second five could we still win some games?

Definitely some holes or weaknesses but still an ACC roster?

Here are some different questions.

If Sidibe is 100%, does Chuckwu still start and get more than 50% of the minutes at center, or do Sidibe and Chuckwu's roles flip-flop?

Are Carey or Hughes good enough to force MD to the bench? What I mean is whether they start or not, essentially grab the fourth or fifth spot in the rotation in terms of the amount of time they spend on the floor?

If Sidibe is 100%, does Chuckwu still start and get more than 50% of the minutes at center, or do Sidibe and Chuckwu's roles flip-flop?

Are Carey or Hughes good enough to force MD to the bench? What I mean is whether they start or not, essentially grab the fourth or fifth spot in the rotation in terms of the amount of time they spend on the floor?
Safe to say PC starts all year. Seniority and makes for a logical progression for Sid. If Sid is better in JBs eyes he will get more time and be there in key situations. But I don’t think Sid will start this year.

Sidibe's ceiling is clearly higher (and maybe a lot higher) than Chukwu's. If he's healthy, I would expect him to get more minutes than PC. I don't think it'll be more than 25 minutes or so.

On your second question, I hope that Dolezaj proves good enough to merit most of those minutes. Hughes is going to see some time at forward for sure, but I hope this is more like 10-12 minutes than 25. Having undersized guys in the bottom of the zone really hurts. (Maybe a little less than usual because Brissett and both centers are very capable rebounders, but still.)

I think the better thought about Sidibe, Carey and Hughes is that perhaps those 3 can push our starting 5 to the point of us having a starting 8. Not sure Carey will get enough minutes with Battle and Howard in the backcourt for that though.

If both centers are healthy, I want to see them each play about 20 minutes. They both bring good things to the table.

I want to see a 3 man rotation at forward, and I think Hughes is more likely to be one of those guys than the new freshman. But you never know, the new freshman can really shoot it from three.

I think the better thought about Sidibe, Carey and Hughes is that perhaps those 3 can push our starting 5 to the point of us having a starting 8. Not sure Carey will get enough minutes with Battle and Howard in the backcourt for that though.

We would be so much better if we had 3 guards who could handle and score. I'd like to see a 32-32-16 breakdown. That would work well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom