Second to last play of regulation... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Second to last play of regulation...

If he caught the ball there would have been 3 seconds as the ball hitting the ground over his head took an extra second to hit the turf.
Plus the clock stops after a first down.
If they had 2 seconds it would only take one second to spike the ball.

I think they were just hoping for a PI call.

That kicker had the leg. He proved on an earlier miss. I would have rolled the dice on him. But I defer to all of Fedora's decisions, because they all made me feel better.

Larry Fedora's play calling was baffling all game.

He out-thought himself and got tricky for no reason. They must have picked up at least a half dozen first downs on that middle route toward their sideline in the first half and then it disappeared for the most part in the second. Don't even get me started on those two trick plays especially the one where the guy threw a pick as they were driving. Worst of all might have been after the Devito pick, they called two deep passes. Why not run the ball and set yourself up for the FG? Made no sense.

When you think about it, we were gifted an unbelievable number of chances to stay in the game.

I thought it probably wasn't going to be our day when Neal fumbled at their 1 yard line, down 7.

Then they march downfield but miss what would probably be the game winning FG, which would have made it a two score game.

It seemed like we were doomed a few minutes later when DeVito led us downfield, only to not find paydirt on fourth down.

Then, UNCs next series, they run into the LOS for no gain twice, enabling us to use our 2 remaining timeouts to stop the clock, and then botch a surefire completion to stop the clock again.

We score two plays later, and I'm worried that we've left too much time on the clock for them to do something.

Somehow, we stop them again and get the ball back... but DeVito makes a rookie mistake and gets picked at our 40 with about 50 seconds to play. Surely we're toast now.

But then we get a TFL which takes them out of FG range [thankfully, Fedora had no confidence in their kicker].

You usually don't see that many chances. UNC really gave it away, but I'll take it.

This was the opposite of so many close losses over the years.

The only times I can remember anything remotely similar in our recent history was that stretch of USF and Missouri in 2012. Just two games where we thread the needle where everything we needed to happen for us to win somehow happened. It's nice to be on the other side of that when it feels like that usually bites us the other way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom