Secondary benifit to signing Coleman | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Secondary benifit to signing Coleman

Yeah I don't think Melo is going to turn into a more explosive version of one of the 10-12 best players in the NBA.

Fab in no way strikes me as a 4. Doesn't have anywhere near the quickness. He's going to get out and guard the 3 point line and then get back to rebound?

The same thing applies to Melo playing up in the middle and a dump pass getting thrown behind him theres where Melo got beat most last year on D and it cost us points.

Heres the thing. Thets just group Keita and Rak (similar game) VS. Melo.
(I made A checklist of some of my own personal evaluations of what is best, I kept nothing I thought of off the list. Dont hold me to being right about these but they are up for debate atleast).

Center vs PF in terms of JB's 2-3 and isolation transition offense.

First the 5 in JB's zone.
Sliding. Keita and Rak easily.
Recovery footbwork once the ball gets behind them baseline Keita Rak easily (a big catagory).
Scrappyness rebounding in a scrum. Keita and Rak easily (need more scrappyness in a scrum at Center then PF).
Trapping Hands. I throw this at center and not PF because a good trap forces offenses to throw the ball back outside not inside. Keita and Rak easily.
Getting up off a standstill instead of a step or two Keita Rak easily.
Not getting pushed left or right in the paint Melo.
Holding up against a offensive banger Melo
Taking a Charge. Push
less foul prone- Keita Rak. Foul prone hurts SU more at center historically.
Conditioning- Keita Rak
Height- Melo.
Boxing out Push more needed at center Push.
Intimidation shot blocking. Push.
Eyesight of incoming doubles on offense more. Push for now

Thats 7-3 in favor of Rak Keita. and 4 pushes.

Now thets go to PF.

Rebounding off a full head of steam. Melo in the longrun if his hands get there.
Weakside shotblocking. Keita Rak will be good and yes scrappy But Melo just has alittle more air. (He just needs to find the hands)
Conditioning to stay in the game at the four Keita and Rak.
Taller as a weakside shotblocker forcing players to go to their weaker layup side. Melo.
Taller and stronger to hang on to the ball for a Outlet pass off a rebound Melo.
Covering the perimeter Rak and Keita.
Strength. Melo.
Think huge height adantage more at PF then center usually because its rarer. Melo.
Sealing off on offense easier for a PF then a center usually. Melo.
Scrappyness in terms of diving for loose balls and extending. Keita Rak.
First step to recover after a jump three ball in the corner Keita and Rak

7-4 in favor of Melo at PF.
7-3 in favor of Rak/Keita with three pushes at Center.
See where I was going with this?

Also.
Changing direction off the dribble ala Edelin Push-None of them have the behind the back face up dribble. But footwork wise they are all pretty good. Keita and Rak have the edge off the explosive first step But Melo has the height to get a better shot off a standstill.

Passing out of Double teams. Tough one since nobody was doubled last year.
Once again not saying I am right but just for Debate.
Now when you throw Dajuan in the equation its a whole nother consensus.

No kidding, my wife knows all about that..
I wondered how long it would take for someone to drive that softball into the power alley.

"orangefan13, post: 53809"]The same thing applies to Melo playing up in the middle and a dump pass getting thrown behind him theres where Melo got beat most last year on D and it cost us points.

Agreed, so I don't think the answer is to ask him to cover more ground.

There just aren't a lot of 7 foot 250 pound power forwards out there, period. And Fab isn't a particularly nimble 7 footer either.

I'm also not sure how much we can really evaluate Raks game. I've never seen him play; how do we know for instance that he's less foul prone? Or his rebounding in a scrum?

Like I said, Fab is about 7-0 250. Christmas is listed around 6-9 230, and Keita at 6-10 210. I don't really think the 7 footer is going to be playing the 4. Have we ever had a similar situation in the past? Trying to think.

Compare the 2-3 to a bomb. Center is anchoring the zone it is gettin your hand on loose balls. Its like putting a bomb(the ball) in large mass. You have to get control and get rid of it or offset it by getting it out of bounce. Pf is like containing a perimeter you don't have to intercept the bomb necessarilly you just have to keep pushing it away to the battery winds down and a bad shot goes up. Then rebound it. Melo is not good at disarming inside threats hes a D+ to maybe even D- Keita and Rak maybe a B+ to a A Thats the difference. Im not saying its going to happen Im just showing my opinion of why it would be our best fit if it did work out. Melo isn't exaclty set to play center with threat neutralizers like AO, Rick and Mcneil in recenter years. Hes far from that.

No kidding, my wife knows all about that..
Are you telling us that your wife is the girl from the infamous SU "Choo-choo Train" incident a few years ago?

I'm not sure I'd be bragging about that.

True, it's a luxury we've enjoyed, but never with so much length at the 4 and 5.

The team had similar length in the frontcourt as recently as 07 (as much as some of us would like to forget that year). Tons of length in 2010 as well, though I guess AO wasn't quite so much "long" but just more of a 6-8 beast.

The team had similar length in the frontcourt as recently as 07 (as much as some of us would like to forget that year). Tons of length in 2010 as well, though I guess AO wasn't quite so much "long" but just more of a 6-8 beast.
Not on the bench.

Put me on the record for Melo at the four at Syracuse if he lasts to his Jr year. I am really hoping he will just as much as I hope to see the Dion MCW backcourt extended unearthly ball pressure and passing abilities.

I know a absolutely crazy thought but thets just wait and see :D
Keita slides better in the middle, Melo will be a monster weakside rebounder/blocker as a jr unstoppable at PF off the dribble(hes our best dribbling big right now). And Dajuan isn't afraid of size in the middle.

Have you ever watched a Syracuse basketball game?

Put me on the record for Melo at the four at Syracuse if he lasts to his Jr year. I am really hoping he will just as much as I hope to see the Dion MCW backcourt extended unearthly ball pressure and passing abilities.

I know a absolutely crazy thought but thets just wait and see :D
Keita slides better in the middle, Melo will be a monster weakside rebounder/blocker as a jr unstoppable at PF off the dribble(hes our best dribbling big right now). And Dajuan isn't afraid of size in the middle.

Sorry. Not a chance. At all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom