Seems JB may have started a movement... | Syracusefan.com

Seems JB may have started a movement...

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
I've been fairly pleased with the reactions of folks in the sporting world. Lots of prominent athletes essentially saying the same thing JB did just using their twitter accounts.

Providence coach had a great tribute as well.

I'm sure there are others. I have no problem with what JB did. If the people outside politics start talking about this issue loudly enough, maybe, just maybe, the politicians will have the guts to actually get something productive done.

I've been fairly pleased with the reactions of folks in the sporting world. Lots of prominent athletes essentially saying the same thing JB did just using their twitter accounts.

Providence coach had a great tribute as well.

I'm sure there are others. I have no problem with what JB did. If the people outside politics start talking about this issue loudly enough, maybe, just maybe, the politicians will have the guts to actually get something productive done.
theres so much will at all levels to make some meaningful changes I'm actually starting to think somethings gonna happen.

theres so much will at all levels to make some meaningful changes I'm actually starting to think somethings gonna happen.
I'm sure something will happen . . . meaningful, I am not so sure

they will probably reinstate the assault weapon ban, but that was in effect when the Jonesboro, Paducah, and Columbine shootings occurred - as well as numerous other mass casualty attacks

there will be a push for expanded CAP laws, but remember that the kids who committed the Jonesboro massacre stole their guns from a locked gun safe

there will be attempts to regulate violent movies, comics, video games, etc

I am neither a gun guy nor a gun control guy. I think the late assault weapons ban was not at all onerous, but that it was not meaningfully effective, either.

I imagine that meaningful changes would involve better threat assessment and early intervention - things that are harder to achieve and not nearly as politically appealing as grandstanding on guns and video games.

they will probably reinstate the assault weapon ban, but that was in effect when the Jonesboro, Paducah, and Columbine shootings occurred - as well as numerous other mass casualty attacks

there will be a push for expanded CAP laws, but remember that the kids who committed the Jonesboro massacre stole their guns from a locked gun safe

I am neither a gun guy nor a gun control guy. I think the late assault weapons ban was not at all onerous, but that it was not meaningfully effective, either.

I imagine that meaningful changes would involve better threat assessment and early intervention - things that are harder to achieve and not nearly as politically appealing as grandstanding on guns and video games.
Agree entirely. Though I believe anything that is meaningful will have to have address the mental health and treatment side of the equation. If you just took the assault weapon out of this tragedy there would still be too many parents mourning their child.

JB sets every trend in the sports world. He is really something. No one else had the balls to speak out before him and then the world takes his cue...

yep, continue to punish law abiding citizens. No calls for securing our kids in schools, no calls for re-evaluations of mental health evaluations, no calls common sense solutions. Just ban a gun and all of our problems go away.

LOL at all the people calling for better mental health treatment. I'm sure you all supported Obamacare and really hope it leads to universal health care, right?

yep, continue to punish law abiding citizens. No calls for securing our kids in schools, no calls for re-evaluations of mental health evaluations, no calls common sense solutions. Just ban a gun and all of our problems go away.
Not allowing someone to purchase an assault weapon is hardly punishment.

And, as you used the phrase, what would be your "common sense solutions"?

Not allowing someone to purchase an assault weapon is hardly punishment.

And, as you used the phrase, what would be your "common sense solutions"?

Stick an armed, trained officer in schools. That's something I wouldn't mind paying extra in my property taxes for.

Who has armed guards:
President? Check
Nancy Pelosi? Check
John Boehner? Check
CNN offices? Check
ESPN Headquarters (located in Conn)? Check
The building my company is located in in Houston? Check
My kids school? Nope

And stopping the legal purchase assault (whatever that means) weapons didn't stop Columbine, now did it?

Stick an armed, trained officer in schools. That's something I wouldn't mind paying extra in my property taxes for.

Who has armed guards:
President? Check
Nancy Pelosi? Check
John Boehner? Check
CNN offices? Check
ESPN Headquarters (located in Conn)? Check
The building my company is located in in Houston? Check
My kids school? Nope

And stopping the legal purchase assault (whatever that means) weapons didn't stop Columbine, now did it?

Schools are in the news right now, but there are lots of other "soft" targets. Where do you draw the line?

Bingo

Winthrop coach uses the post game presser following their loss to Ohio State bring attention to the need for change in wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings.

"This has to be a time for change," he said. "And I know this microphone's powerful right now, because we're playing the (seventh)-best team in the country. I'm not going to have a microphone like this the rest of the year, maybe the rest of my life.
Its one thing to talk talk talk, but another to denounce your party. jb ia a terminal republican. how about global warming. the only way the last electi9n was close is because of racism

Schools are in the news right now, but there are lots of other "soft" targets. Where do you draw the line?

Where do you draw the line with bans?

The only argument that I've heard about banning assault rifles is that they kill more people, more quickly. If that's true and you ban it, what about the next weapon in line. Does that now become the standard and you ban it? Then the next, then the next until everything is banned?

Many of these soft targets already employ armed security. Most school systems, particularly at the elementary level, do not. I don't understand that.

If I take my young son to my office building, there's an armed officer. If I take him to a sporting event there's an armed officer, if I take him to the mall there's an armed officer. But, if I drop him off at his school that is open to the public, with minimal security in place, there's not.

Where do you draw the line with bans?

The only argument that I've heard about banning assault rifles is that they kill more people, more quickly. If that's true and you ban it, what about the next weapon in line. Does that now become the standard and you ban it? Then the next, then the next until everything is banned?

Many of these soft targets already employ armed security. Most school systems, particularly at the elementary level, do not. I don't understand that.

If I take my young son to my office building, there's an armed officer. If I take him to a sporting event there's an armed officer, if I take him to the mall there's an armed officer. But, if I drop him off at his school that is open to the public, with minimal security in place, there's not.
I happen to think that killing more people, more quickly, is exactly the point.

What other purpose does an assault rifle, or even a semi-automatic pistol, have but to kill more efficiently?

And, the whole "slippery slope" argument is tired--and not just on this issue. If we use our innate intelligence and common sense, we can find reasonable reasonable, middle ground solutions to problems. Avoid the extremes. And, right now, the pendulum has swung way too far over to the NRA end.

Its one thing to talk talk talk, but another to denounce your party. jb ia a terminal republican. how about global warming. the only way the last electi9n was close is because of racism

It's good to know you've been looking over JB's shoulder when he's placing his vote.

Not true my friend ... not true at all. I will say up front that Step 1 is, in fact, the banning of all semi-automatic non-hunting rifles (i.e. Bushmaster AK4) and the limitation on clips. However, that is not the total solution ... I agree!! We need a true overhaul of gun registration policies that include an extensive background check as well as waiting period. We need greater regulation on gun show purchases that require that same background check and waiting period. We need scrutiny of individuals with guns to ensure that appropriate and truly secure gun safe are being used before issuing firearms. We need greater neighborhood programs with adequate call-in availability (ala Connecticut) where guns can be removed from irresponsible hands. We need tough nonreporting laws when a gun is stolen. Noone is calling for the "punishment" of responsible and "law abiding" gun owning hunters. And from many of the responses that have been on this board from such individuals they tend to agree.
Now for the rest.
We do need a comprehensive MH program; but one that is tied also into gun ownership. We cannot force the evaluation of indviduals who are in some way questionable relative to their competencies. But we can force the individual seeking guns to seek help for those that may have access to those same guns.
I work and have retired from a school system. I have said before in a previous thread that tears well up when I see the babies I work with everyday. I have read truly oxymoronic "solutions" that teachers and principals should have a gun!!! You can never make a child secure by making them feel insecure with armed guards in every school; you cannot help a child feel security by making an armed fortress out of every school. That is not to say that there does not exist "other" solutions to making schools safe. And schools should always be safe. There is a litany of things that must be done to make our schools safer. That is by first making sure that your Board of education realizes that, Yes, Sandy Hook, Columbine can happen here. Then that is the start of finding the solutions (money not withstanding) of making our schools safe.
America is the most violent country in the world... third world nations not included. We live in a culture of violence We glorify violence. I ask you, outside of the baby movies, what are the #1 movies that our teens and pre-teens watch? Nothing like a good shoot-em-up. And why do these violent movies keep being made? Because they make money from both parents (adults) and children. I don't have to even speak to the viideo game genre. One can't change violent attitudes (its OK to shooot people) without making significant changes in the violent enculturation that is one hallmark of our society. Such an enculturation of violence makes violence "unreal" to impressionable minds. Violence becomes acceptable ... and, by the way, entertaining.
This has become a terribly long diatribe and for those saying, "Phew, when is he going to stop" well, I have only one last thing. I have also read and heard from individuals that say "Violence ainta gonna happen here cause I gotta gun right here on my hip (or keep one in my dresser drawer)". Again oxymoronic thinking. That's like saying we have it solved with "Peaceful violence". We cannot solve the issue of violence in our country with the threat of violence. All you are doing is encouraging the belief that violence is the answer. And our children learn that violence is the only answer to violence. Its circular and such thoughts and attitudes only serve to prolong the attitudes and as I have said the answer of violence to stop violence is oxymoronic and self-defeating. And for those irresponsible individuals whoo proudly proclaim I carry a gun on my hip; I keep a gun in my car; I keep a gun in my dresser next to my bed well I dont need to tell you that a gun is one of the hottest items to buy on the street!!! Keep them locked up.!!! Away from burglars; away from children.
You wanted suggestions other than just banning guns? This is a start.

Sorry Tex ... before I get called for a technical. Substitute AR15 for AK4

I know. All liberal hate white people, especially successful white people. That is the only reason the competent person lost to the incompetent one.

I happen to think that killing more people, more quickly, is exactly the point.

What other purpose does an assault rifle, or even a semi-automatic pistol, have but to kill more efficiently?

And, the whole "slippery slope" argument is tired--and not just on this issue. If we use our innate intelligence and common sense, we can find reasonable reasonable, middle ground solutions to problems. Avoid the extremes. And, right now, the pendulum has swung way too far over to the NRA end.

I agree that's the point of the argument and I believe it's an irrational point, along with the "purpose" argument. You can make that argument for a myriad of things. Liberty should be the only consideration.

Your "reasonable" middle ground is ban an inanimate object. Mine is secure our schools with armed officers. We will never meet in the middle.

This is all a bunch of tripe.

Banning Semi-automatic weapons will increase crime & murder, but the idiots who run our government would rather get some feel good press about their "brave" actions to save the world from gun violence.

ALL statistics fly in the face of these buffoons, but they don't care, they would rather increase their own political capital...