Semi-OT-- article about the Marinoviches | Syracusefan.com

Semi-OT-- article about the Marinoviches

RF2044

Living Legend
SI published an article today that is focused upon Todd [aka RoboQB], but there are a couple of mentions of former SU player Mikhail interspersed throughout:

Todd Marinovich is facing what's haunted him

Pretty sad story. Not that this is anything new, but the dad sounds like a nut.

Depressing as hell. A few random thoughts:

1) At some point in your life - I’m going to say 30 years of age - everyone needs to stop blaming their parents for how they are.

2) Parents have an infinite ability to screw up their kids.

3) Never get involved with an addict - drugs or alcohol. Never.

4) Be responsible for your own $#!+. The choices you made or didn’t make.

5) His artwork is actually pretty good.

6) I see a movie role for Woody Harrelson in this.

Holy Jesus, that's a fascinating and chilling article.

Makes me want to leave work and go hug my kids.

Me too. It made me text my father to say, "thank you" and "i love you"

I am not the perfect dad(i try to be) , but I can certainly say with a clear conscience that Marv is a piece of crap

I mean, realistically, yeah Marv was tough on Todd. But seriously, I'm not sorry you were screamed at and coached hard as hell. The reality is that not only are a lot of kids "coached" this way by their parents, but, that a very large number of kids have much, much, much more difficult lives.

The last 30 years has been woe is me Todd. A lot of blame game going around when the success stopped. And, you know what, his personality almost certainly did have something to do with his life. Regardless, we still have choices to make everyday.

Doesn't change the fact that he's a garbage father and an addict with no real employment. Here's a tissue. I know of multiple instances where people with terrible childhoods vowed differently and accomplished that, others didn't.

A lot of us are addicts. We choose to control it or let it control us. And don't tell me it's not a choice, because it is.

Here's a hint, when you're taking your family on vacation, don't stop and buy drugs. It's because of this void in my soul, blah blah. No, it's because you were too weak to say no to drugs that would inevitably send you back down the broken path.

I won't speak regarding addiction, as I have been fortunate to not go down that path, but I am sorry, to say that Marv was just tough on Todd is a severe understatement, the guy was a violent and abusive piece of garbage. You (and All4SU) are right that a person eventually has to take responsibility for their behavior, but it doesn't change the fact that Marv wasn't just some tough father/ coach, he is trash, and I don't feel sorry for Marv and his current state, not in the least.

I don’t feel sorry for Marv, though Alzheimer’s is a disease I wouldn’t wish on anyone. I just think that at some point you are responsible for your own behavior and how you handle life. Life isn’t easy. Nearly everyone deals with tragedy during their lives. Get on with it.

The dad went way way way overboard, feel bad for the kid in some ways , is it me or is it most people I know who can draw are a little nutty ? Tough to fairly judge this like most things not knowing the facts

I think Marinovich comes from that Nick Boleteri world of athletic success, normal human being be damned. Agassi became a majors winner because of it and was able to stabilize his life. Marinovich was mentally incapable of the militant training. I think Marv is a bad guy at the end of the day but it was Todd who wasn’t mature enough to become a man at the end of the day.

Serious training is one thing - watching your father knock a dudes teeth out, and ignore your sister for the entirety of her life is another. If those stories are true, it's hard to believe anyone can come out if that environment unbroken.

Serious training is one thing - watching your father knock a dudes teeth out, and ignore your sister for the entirety of her life is another. If those stories are true, it's hard to believe anyone can come out if that environment unbroken.

Don’t forget slapping your face on drives home from practice. But not punching because he doesn’t want to hurt his knuckles.

That doesn’t happen to everyone?

SI published an article today that is focused upon Todd [aka RoboQB], but there are a couple of mentions of former SU player Mikhail interspersed throughout:

Todd Marinovich is facing what's haunted him

Pretty sad story. Not that this is anything new, but the dad sounds like a nut.
i can't be the only dad who sees psychos like this guy and goes too far the other way

[ leaving room here for the jokes ]

my son happens to be a pretty good athlete in a sea of hopelessly uncoordinated dorks in my goofy town and i'm constantly reminding him that sports aren't everything, get some other hobbies

can you imagine being worried that your daughter's husband isn't athletic enough? i can think of a million things that will terrify me as my daughter grows up and that is pretty far down the list

The ESPN Thirty for Thirty piece on Todd and Marvin was much more forgiving and ends on a positive note.

The ESPN Thirty for Thirty piece on Todd and Marvin was much more forgiving and ends on a positive note.
the part about mikhail not seeing him in years is pretty sad

he was good enough to get a sniff in the pros, he had two kids and that's about how good they were, even though they were so far apart in years and experiences. all the psycho parenting stuff is made even sadder knowing that none of it matters. even if it did make a difference, it's a terrible thing of course but it's pretty much pointless.

You can understand why he went off the rails early on. His Dad was a psychopath. It reads like he might as well have been sexual abused.

the part about mikhail not seeing him in years is pretty sad

he was good enough to get a sniff in the pros, he had two kids and that's about how good they were, even though they were so far apart in years and experiences. all the psycho parenting stuff is made even sadder knowing that none of it matters. even if it did make a difference, it's a terrible thing of course but it's pretty much pointless.

Todd was a supreme football talent.

He could have been an all-time great - at least according to Howie Long and Marcus Allen - in the ESPN 30 for 30 piece.

He started his first game - did what he and his father set out to accomplish - and then basically gave up - Todd never really liked playing football.

It is a fascinating story.

Depressing as hell. A few random thoughts:

1) At some point in your life - I’m going to say 30 years of age - everyone needs to stop blaming their parents for how they are.

2) Parents have an infinite ability to screw up their kids.

3) Never get involved with an addict - drugs or alcohol. Never.

4) Be responsible for your own $#!+. The choices you made or didn’t make.

5) His artwork is actually pretty good.

6) I see a movie role for Woody Harrelson in this.

Points #1 and #2 seem contradictory.

Points #1 and #2 seem contradictory.
Reverse the order. Parents screw up kids. Kids (eventually) need to get over it and be responsible for themselves.

Reverse the order. Parents screw up kids. Kids (eventually) need to get over it and be responsible for themselves.
Pretty much the point Springsteen made in his NYC show.

Just read it yesterday...just wow. Marv was cruel and sick. I feel most sad for the daughter who was treated like complete trash but is know taking care of this man...she sounds like a saint.

I don’t know what to say about Todd...it seems like he should have his together by now but he’s never had any real support system besides drugs and that stuff never leads to anything good. The mom, Trudi, should have gotten them all away from Marv early on.

I’d like to hear from the other son, Mikhail.