semi-OT - Jefferson Clinton Hotel | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

semi-OT - Jefferson Clinton Hotel

Like a few years ago when it was 65 degrees + on Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, felt like I was in Boca or on one Cuseguy's trips to the Canary Islands. That unfortunately only lasted the one year, lol.

Yes! Was sitting out on a porch drinking beers on Christmas Eve! Ever since then, I have come to the conclusion that the white Christmas crap is overrated.

Yes! Was sitting out on a porch drinking beers on Christmas Eve! Ever since then, I have come to the conclusion that the white Christmas crap is overrated.

It was fantastic, I remember walkign my dog on either Thanksgiving day or Christmas eve and it felt like mid may, it was great. I was like maybe this global warming thing is going to do us a solid for a few years. Next year I think it was like 27 and snowing.

I think it has been on a steady pace towards improvement for at least 20 years, probably more.

If you don't think downtown has changed in the past 20 years, I urge you to go there and take a walk. The changes are amazing and involve far more than Armory Square.

I agree more work is needed and the job to turn the area around will probably take at least another 20 years, but the trends are very good and things are just going to get better over time.
I was drinking in Armory Square in 2000 and I work there now. Most of the same bars are still there in the core area. I was eating brunch in Hanover in the early 2000s. The Soundgarden moved. Dorsey's is gone. CSP is still kinda sketchy. Clark's is gone. I used to park where the Marriott is now. There are some new office buildings. Hotel Syracuse is nice.

But it wasn't a seedy unsafe area in 2000-01 (before then, sure). It was pretty nice then and it's gotten better. It's not unrecognizable, though.

I'll be staying at the Quality Inn Downtown next Sunday/Monday for UVA.

Both legs direct flights from Boston and 2 nights hotel for 220. Wowzzz. The Jet Blue 530 am from Hancock is amazing no traffic from the airport and I'll be at my home office by 7 this doesn't even effect my job whatsoever. I'd consider splurging on the Sheraton but I have to eat at Dinosaur b/c the one in Chicago (closed RIP) had the pregame party before we beat UVA in the Elite 8 and its next door.

I can't imagine what Syracuse would have been like with 60 dollar 45 minute direct flights from home and uber/lyft even broke college kids can afford that. Would love some warm balmy 50 degree weather next Monday.
The Quality Inn on James is a not-great hotel in a not-great location. Don't go out after dark.

Or maybe I'm a 60-year old snowflake.

I was drinking in Armory Square in 2000 and I work there now. Most of the same bars are still there in the core area. I was eating brunch in Hanover in the early 2000s. The Soundgarden moved. Dorsey's is gone. CSP is still kinda sketchy. Clark's is gone. I used to park where the Marriott is now. There are some new office buildings. Hotel Syracuse is nice.

But it wasn't a seedy unsafe area in 2000-01 (before then, sure). It was pretty nice then and it's gotten better. It's not unrecognizable, though.
Well, technically I said 20 years, not 18 or 19.

There are a bunch of new and renovated hotels you didn't mention in and outside of Armory Square, development has moved to the Inner Harbor, development has crossed Salina Street and is heading east, and literally thousands have moved there from 20 years ago.

How many additional buildings have been renovated since then and are now in active use? 20? 30?

Hopefully the grid will allow all that property between the SU/medical complex and downtown to be developed as well.

And the best thing is, a lot of this has been financed privately where the properties are now or will soon be back on the tax rolls.

There are lots of challenges to overcome and it is going to take time but I am amazed at all the changes and the potential for the future.

The Quality Inn on James is a not-great hotel in a not-great location. Don't go out after dark.

I know the area well the cold will be the only thing keeping me indoors/in an uber. I'd hoof it back and fourth and use that money for 4 dome foams if it was going to be above freezing I like to walk. Actually never felt unsafe in Syracuse even the 'bad' parts.

Uber/Lyft must be great in Syracuse you must be able to go pretty much anywhere for 5-10 bucks and there's probably tons of drivers so no wait.

This is where I stayed while in Syracuse this past weekend. I've got to say, all things considered, it was one of the better hotel experiences I've had. Super-reasonable rates, great service, clean/comfortable room, etc - just top notch all the way around.
Highly recommend staying here

Stayed there too...will definitely go back again

anybody remember the bear road mid 80's ? now that was a dive . catch hep C from the room key.

Last edited:
You wouldn't have said that 35 years ago.

Anyone who was a college student back then should remember it was the trailways station and a flophouse.

Seedy doesn't begin to describe it.
For real! I was a law student 81-83 and lived a block away. The "hotel Jefferson" rented by the hour i think. That area is amazingly nice today :)

Many years ago I got a letter rom the draft board due to a very poor lottery number for the draft, I was going to Utica College, having a lot of fun and did not want to go to Vietnam. The draft board sent me a notice to report to the Chimes Building for a physical, a bus ticket and a voucher to stay at the Hotel Jefferson Clinton . I get to the hotel go up to my room and of course I had a roommate, he had enlisted and wanted to "Kill
Gooks", guy was nuts. Get up in the morning, had a ticket for a free breakfast at the hotel, so I had breakfast with my roommate. Report for my physical, look to my right and my roommate collapsed on the floor and seconds later I did the same. Was rushed to the hospital, food poisoning. Never heard from the drat board again. The Hotel Jefferson Clinton probably saved my life.

Many years ago I got a letter rom the draft board due to a very poor lottery number for the draft, I was going to Utica College, having a lot of fun and did not want to go to Vietnam. The draft board sent me a notice to report to the Chimes Building for a physical, a bus ticket and a voucher to stay at the Hotel Jefferson Clinton . I get to the hotel go up to my room and of course I had a roommate, he had enlisted and wanted to "Kill
Gooks", guy was nuts. Get up in the morning, had a ticket for a free breakfast at the hotel, so I had breakfast with my roommate. Report for my physical, look to my right and my roommate collapsed on the floor and seconds later I did the same. Was rushed to the hospital, food poisoning. Never heard from the drat board again. The Hotel Jefferson Clinton probably saved my life.
wow!

This is where I stayed while in Syracuse this past weekend. I've got to say, all things considered, it was one of the better hotel experiences I've had. Super-reasonable rates, great service, clean/comfortable room, etc - just top notch all the way around.
Highly recommend staying here
honestly its hidden Gem. GREAT hotel

Hotel was totally remodeled about a year ago. You'll hear the ambulances going to St. Joe's. I'd Uber to/from there after dark...daytime is ok.

Hotel was totally remodeled about a year ago. You'll hear the ambulances going to St. Joe's. I'd Uber to/from there after dark...daytime is ok.
If you stay there, try the OIP, which is almost directly across the street. The pizza and cold sandwiches ar good. The char grilled wings and the steak sandwich are very good and quite reasonably priced.

That's a good thing. It used to be an Econo Lodge, right? Place was a dump when friends from out of town stayed there for a game about 10 years ago.

High school baseball season in NY = “the snow all melted! In a couple days things will dry out and we can go outside and use the field!” A few days later you get 15 inches of snow, ensuring that you’ll be practicing in the gym for another 3 weeks, and will end up playing 10 games in the last two weeks of the season, meaning your 9th best pitcher has to pitch and gets absolutely rocked at some point.

Exactly the reason why I was a starting pitcher for both games of a double header my senior year. It was May at that point and I still believe the temps barely broke 50 with drizzle.