Semi-OT -- NC state injuries | Syracusefan.com

Semi-OT -- NC state injuries

RF2044

Living Legend
While watching MNF last night, I saw an item on the ticker indicating that NC State lost two starters for the rest of the year during their last game. A safety and an offensive guard.

I never root for opposing players to get injured, but given that this occurred outside of any SU-related involvement, I'll take whatever advantage we can get. Need to find a way to win two more.

While watching MNF last night, I saw an item on the ticker indicating that NC State lost two starters for the rest of the year during their last game. A safety and an offensive guard.

I never root for opposing players to get injured, but given that this occurred outside of any SU-related involvement, I'll take whatever advantage we can get. Need to find a way to win two more.
I saw that on ESPN.com as well. I asked about our OL injuries in another thread, which got me thinking about days gone by. Do you remember us dropping 2-3 OL starters every year back when Pasqualoni was here?

I saw that on ESPN.com as well. I asked about our OL injuries in another thread, which got me thinking about days gone by. Do you remember us dropping 2-3 OL starters every year back when Pasqualoni was here?

Not remembering it doesn’t mean it never happened.

But also - all the players are bigger, stronger, faster today than ever before.

But their bones, ligaments, and tendons are not.

I don’t think there’s any magical, mythical S&C that can be done to change that.

I don’t think there’s any magical, mythical S&C that can be done to change that.
I honestly don't remember if it used to happen. I was hoping someone else did. Good points about the increasing physical challenges given the increasing violence of the game.

I thought Payton Wilson was the best LB in the conference last year as a frosh. Moore was their MLB and a captain. Huge loss.

Their defense is a lot more suspect now than it looked at the start of the season. Our style of offense is tough on inexperienced players.

Bigger, faster, stronger? Maybe by a tick (aka negligible). Humans don't evolve THAT quickly. Perhaps training methods have advanced some, but 15-20 years ago, there was also a huge steroid problem in football, too. Plus, consider the multitude of rules that have been changed in the last 20 years to make the game safer, some of which are specific to line play.

I also wonder if the advancement/prevalence of the passing game makes O-Line play easier on the bodies than it was a quarter century ago. I see pass blocking a smidge easier on the body than run blocking, but I could be wrong about that (and I am sure some expert here will inform me).

And, as ridiculously late as our bye week is this year, it may actually benefit us against teams like NC State that had theirs kinda early. Hopefully, the team gets rested and healed for the homestretch.

Last edited:

Really have to win 2 of the next 3. I don't see SU beating Pitt with the heisman candidate QB.

Really have to win 2 of the next 3. I don't see SU beating Pitt with the heisman candidate QB.
the pitt that went to VT and had 400 yds of offense and struggled much of the game would be nice to see.
clemson went to SU and Pitt and had the same 315 yds an 17 pts.. we did more than enough to score the 27 that Pitt did. Pitt is explosive at times where we are not really.

Agreed in the main.

BUT I saw that Pitt also lost two starters last week. No idea how banged up they'll be the final week, how impactful those losses will be, etc.

But to your point, I'd love to get to 6 beforehand. Don't want to have to play for bowl eligibility the final week.

Bigger, faster, stronger? Maybe by a tick (aka negligible). Humans don't evolve THAT quickly. Perhaps training methods have advanced some, but 15-20 years ago, there was also a huge steroid problem in football, too. Plus, consider the multitude of rules that have been changed in the last 20 years to make the game safer, some of which are specific to line play.

I also wonder if the advancement/prevalence of the passing game makes O-Line play easier on the bodies than it was a quarter century ago. I see pass blocking a smidge easier on the body than run blocking, but I could be wrong about that (and I am sure some expert here will inform me).

Well, their tendons should be stronger too as they can be strengthened, but your point still stands with regards to the skeletal structure.

So you're saying there are bionics involved. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom