Semi OT: ND is angry | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Semi OT: ND is angry

If we never played Notre Dame again in football would be fine by me.
They are the only school we ever gave 2 road games for 1 home game.
Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Florida State all just as good treated us with respect.
It was a terrible deal but Crouthamel signed it.

They don’t view us as peers. The MetLife deal wasn’t smart but it was done when we thought were stuck in the Big East. Notre Dame is old money.

They have a loyal fanbase but they aren’t what they were before every game was on TV.

If we never played Notre Dame again in football would be fine by me.
They are the only school we ever gave 2 road games for 1 home game.
Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Florida State all just as good treated us with respect.
It was a terrible deal but Crouthamel signed it.

They don’t view us as peers. The MetLife deal wasn’t smart but it was done when we thought were stuck in the Big East. Notre Dame is old money.

They have a loyal fanbase but they aren’t what they were before every game was on TV.
If I remember correctly, Penn State was trying to get us to sign up for extra road games when we thumbed our nose at them. They weren't showing us much respect at all.

If I remember correctly, Penn State was trying to get us to sign up for extra road games when we thumbed our nose at them. They weren't showing us much respect at all.
If you are talking about the 1980s that has nothing to do with Notre Dame.
Paterno wanted WVU, SU, RU, BC, Pitt, VPI to form an eastern conference but it blew up because he wanted Penn State to get more home games.
None of the schools agreed and it blew up. Then Penn State joined the Big Ten.
We played Penn State home and home in 2008 and 2009. It was an equal series.

Then we played them in a one off neutral site game at MetLife in 2013.

We never played Penn State 2 for 1 like we did Notre Dame.
Paterno tried but didn’t get it that is the rest of the story.

Last edited:
I would follow the UNC model to the Nth degree. Money and cars for athletes, and for an equal number of undergrads.

I agree. We're not the OG's in this league, so it's only natural. It would be nice to feel like the ACC has our back, and that we're respected in the league, but it will probably take an ACC Championship (or two) to make that happen.

When did the Big East fight for us? Tranghese even admitted that he didn’t do enough to get us a bowl game when year we were eligible.

When did the Big East fight for us? Tranghese even admitted that he didn’t do enough to get us a bowl game when year we were eligible.
I was never the biggest tranghese fan but if you ever watch the requiem for the big East he talked a lot about trying to make us happy and keep us in the conference.

I was never the biggest tranghese fan but if you ever watch the requiem for the big East he talked a lot about trying to make us happy and keep us in the conference.

That must have been the year (01-02) when UConn wasn't on our schedule. Or the year we didn’t play St. John’s? I’m curious when the Big East ever did anything for us specifically.

Last edited:
Yeah, try getting punished for not enforcing a drug policy you don't have to have and then get back to me.

It's an academic issue.

football blew up the best conference in basketball is the only take away from REQUIEM.
as to the ND dilemma conferences just need to stand up and say if you don't bring football then we're not going to schedule you.1 or 2 seasons tops they come begging hat in hand. and yes because of money. people need to get over notre dame being special. they're no better than us. cut them and they'll bleed.

Last edited:
It wasn't Crouthamel. It was the Doctor.
syracuse playing a home game in jersey is like giving ND a home game in detroit DOC.

Last edited:
It wasn't Crouthamel. It was the Doctor.

Please tell me how Doctor Gross agreed to a 2 for 1 series?
We hosted Notre Dame in the 2003 season finale.
Then played in South Bend in 2005 and 2008.
Jake Crouthamel was athletic director till 2005.
Dr. Gross didn’t become AD till 2005 after we hosted ND.
He did not sign the 2 for 1 deal.
I was a student and specifically remember getting an email from Jake saying if you wanted tickets to the Notre Dame game you had to have season tickets. It was a bad deal by a good AD.

On this one you don’t have the facts correct.

If you are talking about the 1980s that has nothing to do with Notre Dame.
Paterno wanted WVU, SU, RU, BC, Pitt, VPI to form an eastern conference but it blew up because he wanted Penn State to get more home games.
None of the schools agreed and it blew up. Then Penn State joined the Big Ten.
We played Penn State home and home in 2008 and 2009. It was an equal series.

Then we played them in a one off neutral site game at MetLife in 2013.

We never played Penn State 2 for 1 like we did Notre Dame.
Paterno tried but didn’t get it that is the rest of the story.
For the record, Paterno didn't want extra home games when he was pimping for his Eastern football league. The plan was to do home and homes with all schools. The reason it never was seriously considered is because Paterno didn't want to share the revenue evenly. He thought Penn State deserved a much bigger share because they were Penn State. No one else agreed to that and he was too dimwitted to understand and accept it.

It is a shame such an arrogant, dumb and sleazy person was running that university for so long. It is a shame that university would let a football coach run the school. Paterno hurt Eastern football more than any person who has ever lived. What a terrible, terrible man.

I agree. We're not the OG's in this league, so it's only natural. It would be nice to feel like the ACC has our back, and that we're respected in the league, but it will probably take an ACC Championship (or two) to make that happen.
Being an OG in the league doesn't matter as we are a founding member. What matters is being a Tobacco Road team.

For the record, Paterno didn't want extra home games when he was pimping for his Eastern football league. The plan was to do home and homes with all schools. The reason it never was seriously considered is because Paterno didn't want to share the revenue evenly. He thought Penn State deserved a much bigger share because they were Penn State. No one else agreed to that and he was too dimwitted to understand and accept it.

It is a shame such an arrogant, dumb and sleazy person was running that university for so long. It is a shame that university would let a football coach run the school. Paterno hurt Eastern football more than any person who has ever lived. What a terrible, terrible man.

Hurting Eastern football is really the tip of the iceberg for the terribleness that was JoePa.

Paterno was a bad man but BC and SU chose the Big East over Paterno’s idea.

Paterno didn’t want equality for home games with all members though.

Paterno was a bad man but BC and SU chose the Big East over Paterno’s idea.

Paterno didn’t want equality for home games with all members though.
That was later. In the beginning, he "just" wanted a higher % of the take.

If Notre Dame is really angry they should do something about it. Like help found a new league.

Being an OG in the league doesn't matter as we are a founding member. What matters is being a Tobacco Road team.
We're a founding member of the ACC? I must be missing something...

gbo is a great poster from that other Orange school to the south. You know, the one we beat last year. :D

Hence, the 'we'.
Aha! I'll stick with my belief that if we whoop their as*** a couple time, we'll get the respect we deserve. Appreciate the warning though, gbo.

"The North remembers. We know no king but the king in the north...I don't care if he's a bastard."