Send An Email To The NCAA President About John Raymon | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Send An Email To The NCAA President About John Raymon

Well, I think it came up, because it was mentioned in the original post. May not have been the primary point, but not exactly a thread hijack.

Having said that, I blame myself for keeping it going. But it's the heart of the offseason, times are slow. And I did want to be on record (for whatever it's worth) that I'm a huge fan of Marrone for what he accomplished here. Just wish he was in for a longer haul. But oh well, opportunities like NFL head coach aren't around forever. Unless you're someone like Norv Turner or Dick Jauron.
Question that begs to be asked is, if the bills didn't hire him, would he have left for an OC job somewhere??.

I'm ok with him going because he got 1 of the 32 top jobs in the world in his profession, but once you drop below that,argument can be made that college HC > NFL OC.

So glad we're not having that conversation...

Not sure if that has been determined yet. Seems he could get a "6th year" type redshirt.
You don't get a 6th year for dropping out of school.

Correct. No chance of a 6th year so he lost a season because of the failed appeal...but hey we shouldn't forget that we need to think of the NCAA as these student-athletes' spirit squad. What a joke.

i think im going to need to be sitting down in a padded room for that explanation.
I will be anxiously awaiting the explanation about how he was scared of the ACC, yet feels the AFC East will be a piece of cake.

Wait...wa..what??!?

Nicest coach in America Marrone was obviously afraid of hurting opposing players in the ACC with our hard hitting style so he stepped away. However it may have backfired since we now have #hardnosed SS at head coach and opposition players will be leaving on stretchers and searching desperately for unlocked doors to get out of the Dome.

You don't get a 6th year for dropping out of school.

No but PTSD is a real disorder and certainly could be a consideration as a debilitating injury and therefore could end up granting an extra year

No but PTSD is a real disorder and certainly could be a consideration as a debilitating injury and therefore could end up granting an extra year

Did Raymon suffer a "football related" injury in HS or during August training camp which prevented him from playing at Iowa in 2011?

That's the only thing the NCAA considers.

PTSD, depression, homesickness, and wanting to be near your baby mama all make for great story ... but unfortunately they don't move the NCAA needle. Otherwise, his transfer waiver for last season would have been approved.

If the NCAA wouldn't let him play in 2012, I have no expectations of him playing in 2016.

True, and probably part of the big-picture in this case. I just don't know if the NCAA is prepared to handle this category. It could open up a whole can of worms.

Based on previous cases, the "I need to be near my newborn child" argument probably had the best chance of succeeding. 250 miles may not have been considered to be "near enough".

True, and probably part of the big-picture in this case. I just don't know if the NCAA is prepared to handle this category. It could open up a whole can of worms.

Based on previous cases, the "I need to be near my newborn child" argument probably had the best chance of succeeding. 250 miles may not have been considered to be "near enough".

If Raymon had a sick relative he needed to be near, his waiver probably would have been granted.

Question that begs to be asked is, if the bills didn't hire him, would he have left for an OC job somewhere??.

I'm ok with him going because he got 1 of the 32 top jobs in the world in his profession, but once you drop below that,argument can be made that college HC > NFL OC.

So glad we're not having that conversation...

I think he had up to six NFL HC interviews taken or lined up before taking the Bills job.

He was not going to the NFL to be an OC.

Actually i believe Raymon just losses the year since he used his redshirt at Iowa his first season
Ahh got it. I thought he just had to sit out the year, my mistake. In any case look forward to seeing him this year.

Looking forward to watching Raymon squash people this year. Too bad he couldn't play last year, but we did ok without him and now we get to have him around longer with an additional year of learning under his belt. Clearly the ncaa is horribly biased and makes bone-headed decisions influenced by money. So does Marrone and so do a whole lot of people in this world. Either way we now get to enjoy watching Raymon play and I can't wait. What a great guy and you have to wish him all the success in the world.

Marrone obviously didn't like coaching college for a number of reasons and was afraid of competing in the ACC and perhaps losing his 'rebuilder' reputation which allowed him to take the job in Buffalo. He was not a recruiter and couldn't take things to the next level and knew it so he left at the right time for him and left us in good hands with Shafer. The way he left sucks. But we are likely better off for his leaving now, just like we were better off for his coming when he did. Shafer will get us to the next level. DM may be an a-hole and may have bailed out on the program - he also was the right guy for the job at the time and not the right guy for it now. While part of my hope he crashes and burns at Buffalo, it would be better for SU if he does well. So good riddance and good luck and thanks for coming and thanks for going.
wow you just summed up so well my schizchophrenia on the whole issue! Well done my friend.