Serious question about memphis... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Serious question about memphis...

Twice: 1973 and 2008

Yep - '73 was the game UCLA's Bill Walton went 21-22 from the field, even though dunking was still not allowed (a hangover from the Lew Alcindor days). The one he missed might have been the easiest shot of all.

Low academic standards might be another selling point.

Twice: 1973 and 2008

They might be the only program stripped of two final four appearances in two different decades. 1985 and 2008. Apparently good at cheating, not nearly as good at hiding the cheating.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I never really appreciated the memphis program.

Pastner is a good coach
Typically I agree with all of your college basketball takes and as you have a PhD IMO in college basketball, but Pastner seems like an awful in-game coach. He can recruit which is the most important factor because it gives you a chance, but before this season he was 0-10 as coach versus a top 25 team. He is now 2-11 vs top 25 teams because they beat Louisville and Oklahom State this season, but he has lost to Cincinnati and UConn at home already this season. The dude just doesn't seem like a good coach for all the talent he brings in and typically loses to teams with close levels of talent.

I remember the first year Pastner took over and they were talking about how Calipari really liked this kid. They did an interview with him after the game and all I could think of was man this kid is charismatic. I've seen a few side line interviews since and always think the same thing. As a bonus he can coach too!

Typically I agree with all of your college basketball takes and as you have a PhD IMO in college basketball, but Pastner seems like an awful in-game coach. He can recruit which is the most important factor because it gives you a chance, but before this season he was 0-10 as coach versus a top 25 team. He is now 2-11 vs top 25 teams because they beat Louisville and Oklahom State this season, but he has lost to Cincinnati and UConn at home already this season. The dude just doesn't seem like a good coach for all the talent he brings in and typically loses to teams with close levels of talent.

I hear the argument. To me he just recruits the wrong players. Too many pure athletes and not a lot of basketball IQ/talent. Last night he was not good and my opinion of him definitely took a hit.

I hear the argument. To me he just recruits the wrong players. Too many pure athletes and not a lot of basketball IQ/talent. Last night he was not good and my opinion of him definitely took a hit.

I think the same thing when I watch Arkansas. I really like Mike Anderson and think he's a good coach, but his players do a lot of dumb things. (Had to turn off the game at halftime the other night because I was rooting for them but their play was infuriating.)

Stupid generalization, but the thought always creeps into my head that your run-of-the-mill Southern basketball player doesn't have a ton of hoops IQ. Athletic but chronically under-coached at the lower levels of the game.

...And not to mention Memphis is a hot bed for basketball talent, for it's size that city might crank out more division one college players per capita than any other city in America.
This has much more to do with it than the history of the program. Though in their case the history is a point in their favor. And Memphis is a pretty cool town. I've had some good times there.

Plus Fed Ex Forum, where UofM plays, is a very nice swank NBA court right downtown off of Beale St. which is full of live blues bars, great dives, ongoing parties.

The NBA is a big reason too. A very good selling point to a kid with NBA dreams when you practice in an NBA facility and can easily been seen by NBA scouts/execs. in addition to rubbing elbows with your NBA heroes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom