Serious question has JB done a good job coaching this team this year? | Syracusefan.com

Serious question has JB done a good job coaching this team this year?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I feel like in other bubble seasons the coaching has been better.

I get the talent isn't elite but their is enough talent with how bad college basketball 2016-17 is that we have enough to make the tournament.

I just think the coaching hasn't made many in-game adjustements, hasn't created a steady rotation for the players. We are easy to gameplan for.

JB has done a lot but another year next year of this is so depressing. I just want to love college hoops but our offensive identity is hot garbage when you watch other teams and NBA basketball. Our D is trying but it's not the right personnel.

Again JB calls the ball but I really hope this year is it.

The answer is no, but I don't think it's cut and dry. This team has had a lot of unfortunate circumstances arise. The injury to Paschal, the lingering Coleman injury, and the Howard situation. What JB thought he had has been very much so withered down to bare bones.

My issues with JB this year are all about his inability to adapt. He needs to teach an offense and he has to be willing to make subs when necessary or throw on the press before we are down 15 points.

JB coaches one way and has now since we decided the zone was it and the hell with offense. Can't win regularly the way he is trying to and the one trick poney has finally caught up with us. The zone is great, but not at the expense of offense or recruiting actual basketball players instead of athletic freaks.

Love JB and he is one of the greatest, but the game is passing him by and he's waving at the train instead of hopping on.

Same as he always had. He admits that his error was getting the 5th year guys to play Syracuse ball. Andrew White got to campus in what, August?

This rotation now wins those Big East games from the early season, it's just unusual b/c we usually gel early.

I just think the coaching hasn't made many in-game adjustements.

our biggest wins, and even our gut-punch losses, have featured big comebacks, so I think this particular point is objectively false.

but, no, I don't think he has done an overall good job this year. especially based on the expectations that he himself gave for this team.

I will say that he seems to be doing a decent job of re-claiming Frank Howard, though.

our biggest wins, and even our gut-punch losses, have featured big comebacks, so I think this particular point is objectively false.

but, no, I don't think he has done an overall good job this year. especially based on the expectations that he himself gave for this team.

I will say that he seems to be doing a decent job of re-claiming Frank Howard, though.
We jumped ahead of Miami/Pitt/Florida State/BC in the first half.
We had a comeback against Virginia and had a back and forth game with Wake Forest
Clemson wasn't an adjustment it was tight game the whole time.
NC State was all John Gillon
Please tell me the adjustments?
Comeback vs. UVA was the best D half of the season and Battle going beast mode.
We don't make many adjustments on D it's zone or press. What adjustments on offense?

I don't think he has reclaimed Howard at all. Howard was shunned to backup role. Howard could either quit or accept his role. He accepted his reduced role.
I am frustrated at the current state of the program. Who should get that criticism?

I don't think he has reclaimed Howard at all. Howard was shunned to backup role. Howard could either quit or accept his role. He accepted his reduced role.
I am frustrated at the current state of the program. Who should get that criticism?
That's a rhetorical question, right :)

I hesitate to even take part in this thread but I don't think he has done a bad job coaching this team. I think we have flaws most notable at the PG position which has been discussed a lot. If anything we have made mistakes with players we have focused on in recruiting. That is a far bigger issue to me than any in game or in season coaching.

We jumped ahead of Miami/Pitt/Florida State/BC in the first half.
We had a comeback against Virginia and had a back and forth game with Wake Forest
Clemson wasn't an adjustment it was tight game the whole time.
NC State was all John Gillon
Please tell me the adjustments?
Comeback vs. UVA was the best D half of the season and Battle going beast mode.
We don't make many adjustments on D it's zone or press. What adjustments on offense?

UVa game we attacked the basket hard in the lane in the second half.

Given the talent he had to work with this year, hard to say. Last night's game was typical. We shot 36% from the field and took 10 less free throws then the home team. Can't shoot that poorly in this league and expect to win any night. Now they'll probably come out against Puke and shoot 75%. Maddeningly inconsistent. The other take away is that you can't expect transfers to come in and just pick up this defense. It takes time. It is what it is this year.

Given the talent he had to work with this year, hard to say. Last night's game was typical. We shot 36% from the field and took 10 less free throws then the home team. Can't shoot that poorly in this league and expect to win any night. Now they'll probably come out against Puke and shoot 75%. Maddeningly inconsistent. The other take away is that you can't expect transfers to come in and just pick up this defense. It takes time. It is what it is this year.

When you really so heavily on 3's and only have one guy that's any good at doing anything off the dribble and have no low post game...you're ripe for bad lulls of doing nothing offensively. If the 3's aren't dropping, we don't have much of an answer.

I don't know why we don't feature Battle more. Get the ball in his hands. He's the only guy with the skillset to be a complete offensive player on the team.

UVa game we attacked the basket hard in the lane in the second half.
Okay I will give that win to JB. That is our 2nd best win which is huge. I still would say our offense is dribble, pick and roll with a non threat rolling or jack a 3.
I am not an expert but if I see how easy it is to defend the opposing coach who knows basketball sees it as well.

Hasn't been a good year for JB. Never seemed to really reach or connect with these players. Last night, with 5 off days his team seemed ill prepared to attack the GT zone defense. They looked clueless. He said they got good looks but missed. Looked more like they took a lot of bad shots (30 treys) because they never attacked the zone to get good shots. That's on the coaching.

No, not at all.

On paper this team has every piece. While some expectations were not lived up to, DC, Howard, and 72 to name a few, that does fall on him as he's the one that had them positioned in spots where they were important piece. 2 of them are useless at this point and Howard isn't playing much. Even without them, you have 2 guys who'll play in the NBA for sure Lydon and Battle, Thompson is a big who can score and you have White who is one of the best pure shooters we've ever seen. Gillon is a problem but has stepped up in many games and it shows but the overall body of work is crap for the talent we have. I still believe talent-wise this is the best since 2012 but we have one of the worst records in the JB era, that falls somewhere and it's in between the players performing and the staff. Add in the recruiting this cycle and we're looking at a monumental bad year that will be followed by a couple of bad years.

I just want to bump this thread and hopefully I will get a chance one more time this season. People forget JAB is a HOF'er. You get inducted for a reason. Yes, it looked dark after St. Johns and the BC losses but have faith Orange fans. Three top ten wins. Almost a fourth. Let's go Orange!!!

In the Dome, this team fights and competes. Win (last night) or lose (Louisville last week), our in-ranked team finds ways to compete with top ten teams. Individual players, and the team, have improved. Credit to JB and staff.

I just want to bump this thread and hopefully I will get a chance one more time this season. People forget JAB is a HOF'er. You get inducted for a reason. Yes, it looked dark after St. Johns and the BC losses but have faith Orange fans. Three top ten wins. Almost a fourth. Let's go Orange!!!
K was very classy last night, saying something to the effect: I hope you know what a treasure you have. I couldnt agree with him more. I know most of the SU community agrees with this but i have a feeling an even greater percentage will agree with this soon after JB retires. I personally hope he stays longer than has been discussed.

I feel like in other bubble seasons the coaching has been better.

I get the talent isn't elite but their is enough talent with how bad college basketball 2016-17 is that we have enough to make the tournament.

I just think the coaching hasn't made many in-game adjustements, hasn't created a steady rotation for the players. We are easy to gameplan for.

JB has done a lot but another year next year of this is so depressing. I just want to love college hoops but our offensive identity is hot garbage when you watch other teams and NBA basketball. Our D is trying but it's not the right personnel.

Again JB calls the ball but I really hope this year is it.

I woke up this morning with the exact opposite thought. Name a college basketball coach that has done more with less?

How can you say that the coaching hasn't made many in-game adjustments? Right after the Louisville game, a very good friend of mine -- VaTech grad -- texted me the following.. "How do you guys get teams to play like s to end games. It's crazy watching your games. Boeheim has always been known for his matchup 2-3 zone. You guys aren't a press team! Everytime Boeheim switches from zone to press, teams literally just crumble. Your press may be better than WVU's."

Under Boeheim, the Orange have never really had an offensive identity. Boeheim's offensive philosophy is heavy guard dependent. His offense needs a floor general type PG to create. The beautiful thing is that they've never needed an offensive identity. The defense is as strong now as it was 10-20 years ago. Honestly, given the run to the Final 4 last year and the way this season has played out, I wish Boeheim would change his mind about retiring. The game hasn't even come close to passing him by yet.

The entire starting lineup has changed since game 1 of this season. White and Lydon changed positions from where they originally started. If this team went 11-2 or 12-1 in the non conference people wouldn't be B*tching about how bad we are. 9-7 in this conference with the teams we beat is a pretty good season.

I hate to say it...but I am really concerned about the ACC and NCAA Tourneys...Sure this team has beat Top 10 teams multiple times this year, but it has been at home...when they are away from the Dome they are a different team and seem to have a lot less confidence...maybe at neutral sites things will be different?