Serious Question on Ennis' NBA prospects | Syracusefan.com

Serious Question on Ennis' NBA prospects

mikemorg

Walk On
I realize the NBA drafts on potential -- though I think that's true more for bigs and out-of-this-world athletes. But Ennis, for all his plusses this year, was the PG on a team that was essentially dysfunctional on offense for the past 6 weeks. Not all his fault, but facts are facts. He never seemed completely comfortable in the open court -- which is perhaps why we never really ran much this year. His biggest strength is getting to the rim in the half court but usually for his own shot, not to set up others. Needs to improve in a lot of other areas. So -- why is he so highly thought of for the NBA? Right now, his ceiling would seem to be Mike Conley -- but that would be if everything broke right for him. I kind of think that NBA scouts will poke holes in his game leading up to the Draft and he may very well come back. I know it sounds like I'm killing the kid -- far from it -- he was a great player this year, but I just don't quite get all the NBA love. Not yet, anyway.

Mike Conley was 10x the prospect Ennis is. He was one of the most athletic players I have ever seen... Just didn't know how to run a team. In the NBA, Conley has learned how to become good at running the O... No way Ennis learns how to be athletic.

My Ennis questions :
- horrible finisher
- can't run the fast break
- very set jump shot
- who is he going to guard

Yet he has been in and around the mock lottery picks from a lot of different places. Thats tough to turn down

If Ennis is project first round, as I've said before, he has to go. All that can happen going forward is that his stock drops.

If Ennis is project first round, as I've said before, he has to go. All that can happen going forward is that his stock drops.

You don't go if you're projected in the first round. You only go if you're projected in the top 10, maybe the top 12.

You don't go if you're projected in the first round. You only go if you're projected in the top 10, maybe the top 12.

I know JB said that, but with Ennis, if I'm top 15 - no way I come back.

He's slow, not that athletic, not a great shooter. He may be able to rectify the last one.

I don't understand TE's potential. He's a great college PG, but I don't see much in his game that translates to the NBA. He's small, slow, doesn't push the tempo, isn't a great shooter and got worse as the season progressed. He needs another year of seasoning to improve his shooting, his passing and overall game. I hope he comes back to do so.

I'm not denying that he is listed as a lottery pick in the mock drafts -- just saying I don't quite understand it.

Is Ennis a better prospect than MCW was at this point last year? I don't see that in any way. And MCW is a much better athlete and 6'6". He was drafted 11th in a much weaker draft.

Ennis might very well leave. But I for one would be surprised if he is taken in the lottery, no matter what people are projecting now.

Ennis just throws up a lot of floaters.
I just wonder if he's a good enough shooter yet.

Mike Conley was 10x the prospect Ennis is. He was one of the most athletic players I have ever seen... Just didn't know how to run a team. In the NBA, Conley has learned how to become good at running the O... No way Ennis learns how to be athletic.

My Ennis questions :
- horrible finisher

As well as he gets to the rim, he's honestly a real bad finisher. That's definitely one I was way wrong on

He's been slipping on nbadraft.net

This guy just passed him http://grantland.com/the-triangle/whos-that-guy-louisianas-elfrid-payton/

Sooooo, right now they have, Exum, Smart, Lavine, and now Payton ahead of him possibly. I'm not saying nbadraft.net is the end all be all, but he obviously has some competition at his position, along with absolute LOCKS that are getting drafted top 4-5 along with a team with zero need for a PG with two lottery picks. I'd be willing to bet a small fortune he stays.

He can't shoot period. If he could SU would still be playing. Not only would they have to play him to shoot it would open up things for others as well. instead teams chase coney around and pack the paint and Ennis goes east west for 30 seconds

I realize the NBA drafts on potential -- though I think that's true more for bigs and out-of-this-world athletes. But Ennis, for all his plusses this year, was the PG on a team that was essentially dysfunctional on offense for the past 6 weeks. Not all his fault, but facts are facts. He never seemed completely comfortable in the open court -- which is perhaps why we never really ran much this year. His biggest strength is getting to the rim in the half court but usually for his own shot, not to set up others. Needs to improve in a lot of other areas. So -- why is he so highly thought of for the NBA? Right now, his ceiling would seem to be Mike Conley -- but that would be if everything broke right for him. I kind of think that NBA scouts will poke holes in his game leading up to the Draft and he may very well come back. I know it sounds like I'm killing the kid -- far from it -- he was a great player this year, but I just don't quite get all the NBA love. Not yet, anyway.
I think they project him to be an excellent shooter even though he isn't yet. You look at his form and you see that potential, yet you can also see flaws (he short arms it sometimes, doesn't set his feet sometimes). Bottom line if he turns out to be a lights out shooter he can play at the next level. If not, he will really struggle.

I think they project him to be an excellent shooter even though he isn't yet. You look at his form and you see that potential, yet you can also see flaws (he short arms it sometimes, doesn't set his feet sometimes). Bottom line if he turns out to be a lights out shooter he can play at the next level. If not, he will really struggle.

Who would you compare him to in the NBA?? That size with that little speed.

Andre Miller. Difference is Miller is known for pushing the ball and is a lot stronger.

He's been slipping on nbadraft.net

This guy just passed him http://grantland.com/the-triangle/whos-that-guy-louisianas-elfrid-payton/

Sooooo, right now they have, Exum, Smart, Lavine, and now Payton ahead of him possibly. I'm not saying nbadraft.net is the end all be all, but he obviously has some competition at his position, along with absolute LOCKS that are getting drafted top 4-5 along with a team with zero need for a PG with two lottery picks. I'd be willing to bet a small fortune he stays.
Lavine is garbage. I'd take Jordan Adams, Kyle Anderson and Norman Powell ahead of him.

The guy I have compared him to is Jordan Farmar. If he turns into a really great shooter maybe Mike Bibby? But...some of the reason I may think of them is probably physical appearance. I just think that we can't look at what he is right now as if that is what he will end up being. That said I do have deep doubts about his ability at the next level. IF he develops as a shooter I can see it. If not...

Andre Miller. Difference is Miller is known for pushing the ball and is a lot stronger.
Miller probably has 20 lbs on Ennis, too.

I don't understand TE's potential. He's a great college PG, but I don't see much in his game that translates to the NBA. He's small, slow, doesn't push the tempo, isn't a great shooter and got worse as the season progressed. He needs another year of seasoning to improve his shooting, his passing and overall game. I hope he comes back to do so.
Exactly...look at the 1 and done pgs. Rose, Irving, Evans, Wall...Ennis isn't close to that

I actually like the Bibby comparison -- except Bibby was a much better shooter, and probably more athletic than given credit for. For some reason Mike Conley is the name that sticks in my head tho I recognize OrangeFoo's point that Conley is much quicker. He's not nearly as big but TE also has some old school Mark Jackson to his game. Not as good a passer though.

I'll leave it at this - I would not be happy if the Knicks drafted him (or any team I was rooting for). And I'm an Orange fan obviously (not a concern anyway since the Knicks don't have a first round pick until 2048). I just don't see how his game translates, like Triche. Although it seemed like most of the board thought he would be playing in the NBA too...

I just don't see the NBA attraction with Ennis at all at this point. He gets compared with Perrantes, and even if they win the NC, there is 0 talk of him going.

I don't see it either, at least not at this point. I'm going to assume the NBA scouts have seen his play drop late in the season and realize he's not ready at all. Still was the best player on our team this year though. I think he comes back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom