Serious Question to everyone | Syracusefan.com

Serious Question to everyone

Cooper05

Walk On
What proven head coaches out there, when the time comes do you think will honestly put there hat in the pool to angle to be head coach at SU. What coaches look at it as a job like Dino? We aren’t a stepping stone. You can be here for a long time. This is a serious question to people out there on the board, we aren’t getting Jay Wright etc., so leave that out! In my opinion, and I don’t think I would necessarily want either one of them, but it seems like Buzz and Josh Pastner go out of there way to praise SU! Could they be angling for the job?? Personally, Pastner is young. Coached for a while now, has recruited, coached in the ACC. Not saying he’s my choice, but a interesting candidate.

What proven head coaches out there, when the time comes do you think will honestly put there hat in the pool to angle to be head coach at SU. What coaches look at it as a job like Dino? We aren’t a stepping stone. You can be here for a long time. This is a serious question to people out there on the board, we aren’t getting Jay Wright etc., so leave that out! In my opinion, and I don’t think I would necessarily want either one of them, but it seems like Buzz and Josh Pastner go out of there way to praise SU! Could the be angling for the job?? Personally, Pastner is young. Coaches for a while now, has recruited, coached in the ACC. Not saying he’s my choice, but a interesting candidate.

Serious answer...it doesn’t matter for another 3 years at least. Don’t waste time thinking about it

I read earlier today that he's in the mix for both the Niagara and Mercer jobs

I'd love if Mercer hired him even if only short term.

I'd love if Mercer hired him even if only short term.
I would rather he gets a more local job, like Niagara and not end up in the south where he ends up on the radar of an SEC school.

Hop is gonna get the first call regardless of the buyout...after that, if Oates is still successfull at UB, he’ll be the next
Oats at UB = Turner Gill at UB.

The notion that the Syracuse basketball job is anything like the Syracuse football job is a joke. We don't need a Dino to take a chance on plucky Syracuse. We have a massive fan base that still comes out after 5 years of middling results. We have a giant stadium. Incredible tradition. Unlike football, we have an solid recruiting base within a 4 hour radius of campus where we are the Penn State for a lot of kids. We're not getting or going after a 60+ year old Jay Wright, but we're not going to be choosing between Grob and that motley crew of choices after P was fired. Even Pitt had a lot of decent to very good options after Stallings.

The only issue to me is whether the donors/basketball alumni base will allow us to go outside the Boeheim tree for that first hire.

Last edited:
I would rather he gets a more local job, like Niagara and not end up in the south where he ends up on the radar of an SEC school.

I see your point but I'm a Mercer alum so was looking at it from that perspective :)

Oats at UB = Turner Gill at UB.
Turner Gill wasn’t beating any Arizona’s in the playoffs or a top 35 Cuse either.

Oats. Bring some toughness back to the program. Hire a big time recruiter as an assistant and bring in top talent. I would think he would jump at that chance to lead our program. Not sure if there is a better younger candidate out there right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom