serious question | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

serious question

great you have experience in this arena, what would you suggest--not being facecious (sp)would welcome your thoughts

I have a lot of ideas. A few that I have discussed with SU at various levels of seriousness. In all honestly, I'd rather not give away many of them for free.

That said, here is something I'd like to see them embrace, which I will admit will take work and patience.

We live in a world where peer recommendations are the most valuable forms of marketing. This is especially true for the younger crowd. If I were in charge, I would hire a student intern (and have key athletic dept staff help too, if they are able) to scout the campus for the social influencers, preferably from all walks of life - greek life, techies, international students, etc. Talk to those kids about their level of interest and what they think about going to the games. Win those people over and have them help spread the word about going to the games and why it's important for the program, and ultimately, the school.

Kinda crappy example because he's a teacher, but Anthony Rotolo is one of the most popular young professors on campus. He teaches social media in the iSchool. He's a young-ish alum himself, and I presume has at least a mild interest in the Dome experience. Market to him and get him to endorse going to games. Let him tweet about it all week. When his following sees that, they'll want to be at the game, too.

Just one idea that is more about an investment in time/energy than money.

what do you think of having a competition?please feel free to critique and add you suggestions.
we get all the merchants on the hill(and / or otherwise)chip in 100.00 or 200.00 for a SEASON LONG BANNER CONTEST. award 1st,2nd and 3rd prizes. to the frat, sorrity,(sp ) dorm, tavern, anyone who chooses to enter. as for the ru game, as its to late, suggest that, su create banners (10-20)be made up for the greeks and dorms by su and asked to be hung out at the locations ----as well as ---those electronic sign's that flash---put them out on 690 and 81,liverpool,camillus,north side, west end,south side east side,skaneateles, etC

Driving from NYC for the game so I have 2 tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks antz201 8 family and i will be there that is a tough drive. are you going 17?

what do you think of having a competition?please feel free to critique and add you suggestions.
we get all the merchants on the hill(and / or otherwise)chip in 100.00 or 200.00 for a SEASON LONG BANNER CONTEST. award 1st,2nd and 3rd prizes. to the frat, sorrity,(sp ) dorm, tavern, anyone who chooses to enter. as for the ru game, as its to late, suggest that, su create banners (10-20)be made up for the greeks and dorms by su and asked to be hung out at the locations ----as well as ---those electronic sign's that flash---put them out on 690 and 81,liverpool,camillus,north side, west end,south side east side,skaneateles, etC

Banners seems old school...like it's a crappy home coming or something.

That said, something that is somewhat hot in marketing is competition and gamification. Maybe some larger entity, like ISP Sports who reps SU's media properties and lots of other schools, could set up a marketing contest that pins students at various schools against one another re: butts in the seats. Great potential there with social media, esp with the various applications that allow for location-based marketing (facebook places...or whatever it's called now, foursquare)

e-mail gross the suggestion. most city and surrounding fans are not alumns (as myself),but, they do feed off the atmosphere joe schmoe at nibsy's may not relate to frats,sorrities (sp) et al but they relate to syracuse pride (albiet down under)address this need. you are right, give faculty the obligatory discount for parking,and give the paying public access to primo parking,

Might sound like a good idea, but (if we're talking about the Raynor lot) professors don't park there during the school week, much less on game days. It's already permit parking for ticketholders. And after four more footbal games and the basketball season that lot won't exist anymore.

I think the Greek organizations have contributed mightily to the poor atmosphere in the Dome. Most schools have huge turnout from their Greek-letter organizations; they sit together, they make signs. We saw this at Washington last year (gorgeous girls sitting together with their houses; looked like they couldn't care less about football, but it was the place to be) and to an extent at SU in the 1980s and early 1990s. Here, people are just hanging out in front of houses on Walnut Park during games. No interest at all.

(Don't have a suggestion to change this; just pointing out that it's a big chunk of the student body and their lack of interest is aberrant.)

They might try to have tickets included in the student activities fee. If it works, I'm all for it.
They do this at a lot of schools, including Georgia Tech.
Reading one of their boards it appears that there is similar student apathy. They blame some of that on having too many geeks as students.

I wouldn't mind seeing a student passing of FG event at every game. Give away $100-$250 SUB credit (or similar). Randomly select 3-4 students, have a contest to see who gets to try to win the prize. Tough to squeeze it all in at the half, especially if the opponent brings a band.

I have a lot of ideas. A few that I have discussed with SU at various levels of seriousness. In all honestly, I'd rather not give away many of them for free.

That said, here is something I'd like to see them embrace, which I will admit will take work and patience.

We live in a world where peer recommendations are the most valuable forms of marketing. This is especially true for the younger crowd. If I were in charge, I would hire a student intern (and have key athletic dept staff help too, if they are able) to scout the campus for the social influencers, preferably from all walks of life - greek life, techies, international students, etc. Talk to those kids about their level of interest and what they think about going to the games. Win those people over and have them help spread the word about going to the games and why it's important for the program, and ultimately, the school.

Kinda crappy example because he's a teacher, but Anthony Rotolo is one of the most popular young professors on campus. He teaches social media in the iSchool. He's a young-ish alum himself, and I presume has at least a mild interest in the Dome experience. Market to him and get him to endorse going to games. Let him tweet about it all week. When his following sees that, they'll want to be at the game, too.

Just one idea that is more about an investment in time/energy than money.
thankyou for that input---what kind of reception have you felt from su re your suggestions ? i hope it was good was there any follow up with you?

That said, something that is somewhat hot in marketing is competition and gamification. Maybe some larger entity, like ISP Sports who reps SU's media properties and lots of other schools, could set up a marketing contest that pins students at various schools against one another re: butts in the seats. Great potential there with social media, esp with the various applications that allow for location-based marketing (facebook places...or whatever it's called now, foursquare)

you're right, definitely old school, would welcome new stuff but i also wonder if old school might be new right now?

Is this weekend Family Weekend at Syracuse? Please say it ain't so. I hate not having a student section (though last week we barely had one anyway)

Is this weekend Family Weekend at Syracuse? Please say it ain't so. I hate not having a student section (though last week we barely had one anyway)

WVU is family weekend.